Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Danielle - and the endeavors of Brian Flemming

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Here's the filmmaker's blog.

Here's the official site.

It has its own discussion board. (Wouldn't it be interesting if we all conspired to spend a week there, responding to the folks there?)

It has a newsletter.

And then, finally, a summary of the premise of the film.

Oh yippee.

Edited by Overstreet

Clint M   

"Thoughts of watching the trailer"

So....

Uh...

OK...

Looks like Waking Life, but more amateurish...

So... why two more years? If it appears to be finished, why wait?

...Newmarket might be interested... microwave.gif

The website says it's in pre-production.

I browsed the forums for a bit. Pretty standard hyper-rationalist stuff - i.e. "where is the absolute proof, in the form of primary historical documentation, that Jesus existed?" Of course, during his lifetime, Jesus barely made a blip on the radar of official history. But for these folks, it seems like being transgressive is cool, and demanding absolute proof is a way of feeling superior.

Ben   

Had a look at the forums too. Looks a bit under-populated at the moment, with I think one lonely Christian fighting his corner. I'ld be up for spending some time on the board. Anybody else?

Ben.

Edited by Indigojones

There are so many things I could be highly critical of in just the trailer and desktops and music, but it would undoubtedly be ascribed to my reticence to take anything this guy says or does seriously because of how seriously he seems to take himself.

Un poseur springs to mind.

Still, since it's already on the radar of sites like www.moviecitynews.com, it would be interesting to join the dialogue early, in a non-hysterical way, rather than wait for the you-know-whos of the world to start calling for hellfire and brimstone to fall upon the filmmakers.

Shantih   

Getting a trailer out before production has even started is some going... And also suggests that the funding isn't in place yet. It's the kind of thing you do when you want people to support your project and you want something solid to show them that it's worth the investment. And if it is what it looks like (i.e. another run around the Gnostic gospels and the non-authorative, rather easily dismissed "Holy Blood and the Holy Grail") then it's certainly not going to be anything we haven't heard before.

Don't be surprised if the website doesn't go through many changes for a while, though smile.gif

Phil.

smile.gif

The whole thing also suggests that it is an ideologically-driven movie more than a story- or character- driven movie. Which is not always a bad thing, but is rarely a good thing.

How is the discussion going over at that site, BTW?

Clint M   

How is the discussion going over at that site, BTW?

From what I've been reading, it's mostly "Jesus is real" from the Christians and "Jesus is fake" from the other side, with neither side providing good debate. But that's a quick observation.

Edited by Clint M

I think the only way this movie could work is as a sequel to Sancutary. Mark Dacascos versus Mandy Moore, starring as "Christian teenager Danielle". As we all know, Christian apologetics is at its best when it involves spin-kicks to the face.

Actually, thinking it over a little more this is actually brilliant marketing. It's the reverse-Passion effect. He doesn't even have to make a good movie... just put out a trailer that's guaranteed to get loud evangelicals wound up and people will go see it just because they don't like publically abrasive Christians. Then they'll go home and say "Wow that movie wasn't very good, but haha I bet Fallwell is pissed."

Whereas if Christian circles completely ignored it (which I don't see happening), it'd hadly be a blip on anyone's radar. Like Saved.

However, I personally think that this plot sounds too stupid for even viral marketing to work. I guess we'll find out in two years, if it ever does come out.

Mark   

Actually, thinking it over a little more this is actually brilliant marketing.  It's the reverse-Passion effect.  He doesn't even have to make a good movie... just put out a trailer that's guaranteed to get loud evangelicals wound up and people will go see it just because they don't like publically abrasive Christians.  Then they'll go home and say "Wow that movie wasn't very good, but haha I bet Fallwell is pissed."

Whereas if Christian circles completely ignored it (which I don't see happening), it'd hadly be a blip on anyone's radar.  Like Saved.

However, I personally think that this plot sounds too stupid for even viral marketing to work.  I guess we'll find out in two years, if it ever does come out.

Great points. I'd be curious to find out who the "scholars" are among whom this theory is "gaining credibility," though. Does Flemming name names, or is he using the "leading experts claim" approach of National Enquirer-style journalism?

Kent   

For completely exhaustive coverage of the discussion of a historical Jesus go here.

It is strictly historical and "religion" isn't allowed into the discussion. No apologetics accepted. dry.gif Hmm, alrighty then...

Diane   

Well, the director behind The Beast is, apparently, about to release another film along the same lines. It's getting its world premiere in San Fran, and then it's heading to Birmingham, Alabama (huh?), before spreading to other cities. This description from the local film indie film society just arrived in my e-mail inbox:

THE GOD WHO WASN'T THERE

It's the most controversial movie event in Alabama in years. The Universist Movement presents the Alabama Premiere of THE GOD WHO WASN'T THERE, a powerful new documentary, directed by Brian Flemming (NOTHING SO STRANGE, BATBOY: THE MUSICAL). Bowling for Columbine did it to the gun culture. Now THE GOD WHO WASN'T THERE does it to religion. Holding modern Christianity up to a merciless spotlight, this bold and hilarious new film asks the questions few dare to ask. Along the way, you will discover: Jesus Christ is likely a fictional character, a legend never based on a real human. And God simply isn't there. THE GOD WHO WASN'T THERE may delight you or anger you. Perhaps it will do both. But you'll never look at Christianity the same again. Hold on to your faith. It's in for a bumpy ride.

Persona   

If "God simply isn't there" then why do they have to focus so hard on Christianity and Alabama? Seems that this would be a revelation of sorts to the planet at large.

-s.

Yeah, I got a press release for this documentary last week and may be interviewing the director soon. In fact, I was supposed to interview him yesterday initially, but they still haven't got a copy of the DVD to me yet.

Diane   
THE GOD WHO WASN'T THERE

It's the most controversial movie event in Alabama in years.

Hmm. The big Alabama debut was supposedly last night. Not a single word was said about it on the news, as far as I know. If they brought it here for publicity, hoping to garner protests and curious crowds, well, I guess it didn't happen. Actually, the big story here last night was the American Idol finale (a Birmingham guy made the final two). The local news was pretty much wall-to-wall coverage of A.I. Yep, the film got overshadowed by that, perhaps.

Heh, heh, heh.

A few quotes from the iChat:

"The fact is, the fundamentalists are wrong. And the more we talk about it, the more it will be revealed that they are, in fact, wrong."

"I'd like Christians to read the bible, because they don't. I'm far more familiar with the bible than most Christians are."

"I like Christians...thank God most of them don't read the bible and follow it--if they did, we'd all be dead."