Oscars 2021: Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Who WILL win?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The shortlist, with the ones I have seen in bold:

• “Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn”
  • “Emma”
  • “The Glorias”
  • “Hillbilly Elegy”
  • “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
  • “The Little Things”
  • “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
  • “Mank”
  • “One Night in Miami...”
  • “Pinocchio”
Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Posted (edited)

Vote!

Incidentally, I neglected to note who the Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild nominees were in February. They are:

Best Contemporary Make-Up

• Bill & Ted Face the Music
  • Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
  • Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
  • The Prom
  • Promising Young Woman

Best Period and/or Character Make-Up

• Hillbilly Elegy
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
  • Mank
  • Mulan

Best Special Make-Up

• Hillbilly Elegy
  • Mulan
  • Pinocchio
  • The United States vs. Billie Holiday
  • Wonder Woman 1984

Best Contemporary Hair Styling

• Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
  • Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
  • The Prom
  • Promising Young Woman

Best Period Hair Styling and/or Character Hair Styling

• Hillbilly Elegy
  • Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
  • Mank
  • Mulan

So, as far as the guild nominees are concerned: 4 nominations for Bill & Ted Face the Music; 3 nominations apiece for Hillbilly Elegy and Mulan; 2 nominations apiece for Birds of PreyBorat Subsequent MoviefilmMa Rainey's Black BottomMankThe Prom and Promising Young Woman; and 1 nomination apiece for Jingle Jangle: A Christmas JourneyPinocchioThe United States vs Billie Holiday and Wonder Woman 1984.

The winners of the guild awards will be announced April 3.

Notably the Oscars don't seem to be on the same wavelength as the guild at all this year. The most-nominated guild film, Bill & Ted Face the Music, and one of the second-most-nominated guild films, Mulan, were both ignored completely by the Oscars. And one of the Oscar's five nominees, Pinocchio, is one of the four films that got only one nomination from the guild (as opposed to the nine films that got multiple guild nominations).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2021 at 10:37 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

Incidentally, I neglected to note who the Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild nominees were in February. . . .

So, as far as the guild nominees are concerned: 4 nominations for Bill & Ted Face the Music; 3 nominations apiece for Hillbilly Elegy and Mulan; 2 nominations apiece for Birds of PreyBorat Subsequent MoviefilmMa Rainey's Black BottomMankThe Prom and Promising Young Woman; and 1 nomination apiece for Jingle Jangle: A Christmas JourneyPinocchioThe United States vs Billie Holiday and Wonder Woman 1984.

The winners of the guild awards will be announced April 3.

And the winners are... 

• Birds of Prey (2x) -- Best Contemporary Make-Up, Best Contemporary Hair Styling
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2x) -- Best Period and/or Character Make-Up, Best Period Hair Styling and/or Character Hair Styling
  • Pinocchio -- Best Special Make-Up Effects

So, the three films with the most nominations -- the three films that had more than two nominations each -- were completely shut out.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and Pinocchio have Oscar nominations in this category. Birds of Prey does not.