Oscars 2021: Best Visual Effects

Who WILL win?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The shortlist, with the ones I have seen in bold:

• “Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn”
  • “Bloodshot”
  • “Love and Monsters”
  • “Mank”
  • “The Midnight Sky”
  • “Mulan”
  • “The One and Only Ivan”
  • “Soul”
  • “Tenet”
  • “Welcome to Chechnya”
Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The Visual Effects Society nominations:

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Photoreal Feature

• “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
  • “Project Power”
  • “Tenet”
  • “The Midnight Sky”
  • “The Witches”

Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Photoreal Feature

• “Da 5 Bloods”
  • “Extraction”
  • “Mank”
  • “News of the World”
  • “Welcome to Chechnya”

Outstanding Animated Character in a Photoreal Feature

• “Die Känguru-chroniken” Kangaroo
  • “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey” Don Juan Diego
  • “The One and Only Ivan” Ivan
  • “The Witches” Daisy

Outstanding Created Environment in a Photoreal Feature

• “Bloodshot,” Neuralspace
  • “Mulan,” Imperial City
  • “The Eight Hundred,” 1937 Shanghai Downtown
  • “The Eight Hundred,” Shanghai Warehouse District

Outstanding Effects Simulations in a Photoreal Feature

• “Bloodshot”
  • “Greyhound”
  • “Monster Hunter”
  • “Mulan”
  • “Project Power”

Outstanding Compositing in a Feature

• “Greyhound”
  • “Mulan”
  • “Project Power”
  • “Underwater”

Plus two films are nominated against a television show in a category that straddles both media:

Outstanding Model in a Photoreal or Animated Project

• “The Mandalorian,” Boba Fett’s Ship
  • “The Mandalorian” (The Rescue), Light Cruiser
  • “The Midnight Sky,” Aether
  • “The Witches,” Rollercoaster

So: 3 nominations apiece for MulanProject Power and The Witches; 2 nominations apiece for BloodshotGreyhoundJingle Jangle: A Christmas Story and The Midnight Sky; 2 nominations in 1 category for The Eight Hundred; and 1 nomination apiece for Da 5 BloodsDie Känguru-chronikenExtractionMankMonster HunterNews of the WorldThe One and Only IvanTenetUnderwater and Welcome to Chechnya.

Also worth noting: Soul, which is on the Oscar shortlist, has more VES nominations than any other film, all in the animated or CG categories.

The winners will be announced April 6.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Vote!

Note: the main difference between the Oscars and the VES is that the Oscars nominated Love and Monsters and the VES did not. (The VES nominated fourteen films instead of that one, in addition to the four films that overlapped the Oscars.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 10:30 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Visual Effects Society nominations: . . .

So: 3 nominations apiece for MulanProject Power and The Witches; 2 nominations apiece for BloodshotGreyhoundJingle Jangle: A Christmas Story and The Midnight Sky; 2 nominations in 1 category for The Eight Hundred; and 1 nomination apiece for Da 5 BloodsDie Känguru-chronikenExtractionMankMonster HunterNews of the WorldThe One and Only IvanTenetUnderwater and Welcome to Chechnya. . . .

The winners will be announced April 6.

And the winners are...

• The Midnight Sky -- Visual Effects, Model
  • Project Power -- Effects Simulations, Compositing
  • Mank -- Supporting Visual Effects
  • Mulan -- Created Environment
  • The One and Only Ivan -- Animated Character

So, three of the Oscar nominees won at least one VES award, and The Midnight Sky won two, including the overall VFX award. Does that make it a favorite for the Oscar? (The only other film to win two VES awards, Project Power, never even made the Oscar shortlist.)

A few stats to consider:

Of the four films that had both VES nominations *and* Oscar nominations, the only ones that were nominated against each other were Tenet and The Midnight Sky, which were both nominated for the overall VFX award -- and The Midnight Sky won.

Of the four films that had both Oscar and VES nominations (let's call them "double nominees"), two -- The Midnight Sky and The One and Only Ivan -- won all of the VES awards they were nominated for. One, Tenet, lost to one of the other double nominees and was thus the only one that did not the VES award. And one, Mulan, was nominated for three VES awards and lost two of them to Project Power, a film that was so completely ignored by the Oscars that it never even made the shortlist.