Sign in to follow this  
steene

Finding Other Filmmakers

How does one find other people with a similar artistic vision who can come together to produce a film? I have written a number of short scripts, and a couple of longer ones, but don't even know where to begin as far as the realization of a film project. Any help appreciated.

What kind of scripts have you written? And are you interested in indy films (i.e. low to no budget) or films with bigger budgets where you actually get paid for your efforts?

The scripts for the most part revolve around unusual situations, or characters or both. I don't know quite how to categorize them - surreal at times, usually allegorical, at least the short scripts, and Christian in a non-preachy way. I guess I would like to just start somewhere, low budget would be alright, and increase the budget as the films find success. Digital is helpful, and it has been proven that a film can find some success in that medium (Blair Witch).

For what it's worth steene I bet I'm not the only one who really understands what you're saying, and I think it's true that there's no one way to get a film made. I've written to production companies and sent samples (like you I've written shorts and feature-length stuff) with rejections or interest which then seems to just get lost somewhere. I've entered competitons (a short script contest which forced me to write something I thought would get picked up - I find it hard to write contrived stuff and I REALLY don't mean that to be pretentious as I'm sure I could if I had to but what I mean is, put it this way, I don't think it would be as good as something of interest - so I found a balance, made myself think of something I wanted to do which I thought they would like also, got shortlisted but...no further. I recently went to a preview screening and met up with the producers/actors/directos at their invitation but since...nothing. Next step is sending off a few shorts to a cable channel which welcomes them - they've a bit of a news agenda and I feel strongly about them even though the channel doesn't pay for sending them in but I think they cover important issues so...if the right people see them and likes them who knows? I think you just gotta try everything. Some telly stations offer specific routes to discussing and submitting work (try BBC's writersroom). Any help from those who've 'made it' would be appreciated here too. Good luck steene. Wish me the same...

Romi, I certainly wish you luck as well. Perhaps those of us who are frustrated with the way things are 'out there' ought to try to collaborate on something. Then we make up our own rules to some extent. I don't know where this forum originates from, but it seems we are on the same continent (I'm living in Germany, and you mentioned the telly and BBC). Take care.

Contact your local film commision and ask for a copy of the film directory in the largest city near you. If you have film schools close by go and put your information up. Most schools have some kind of board to post things. Join film clubs on the web. Another thing is buy Dov's book From Reel To Deal. It will teach you everything you want to know about getting a film made. God Bless, Kevin

I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question - where do a lot of you filmmakers show your films (thinking of the short ones mentioned under this topic especially)?It's just that some of them sound quite...professional. Do you make them 'for a living' or when not at your day job? Do you show them at festivals? Sell them on? Are they commisioned or for a production company? Or do you raise funding by working rooms and knocking on dentists'/lawyers' doors with a showreel/trailer ala Sam Raimi/Evil Dead? Thanks and sorry for all the questions but it's kinda hard to know when looking in from the 'outside'...

I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question - where do a lot of you filmmakers show your films (thinking of the short ones mentioned under this topic especially)?

Wherever I can. People's houses. Festivals. Yup.

It's just that some of them sound quite...professional. Do you make them 'for a living' or when not at your day job?

When not at my day job. smile.gif

Do you show them at festivals?

Yup. Here and here are my most recent submissions.

Sell them on?

Haven't sold any yet. Haven't really tried. smile.gif

Are they commisioned or for a production company?

My production company.

Or do you raise funding by working rooms and knocking on dentists'/lawyers' doors with a showreel/trailer ala Sam Raimi/Evil Dead?

It's called the 'Friends fools and family' route. And 'credit card debt.' biggrin.gif