The Wolf House (2018) dir. Joaquín Cociña and Cristóbal León

I saw this full-length stop motion animation last week, and it won’t leave my mind. I will probably track down the DVD when I can and watch it again, and I have a feeling it will be one of those films I watch quite a few times. 

As I understand it, much like Saint Maud, which I was talking about here a few days ago, the film for whatever reason sat for years without distribution. Maybe the big whigs at the top have grown tired of fighting for these artier films. Hard to say. 

“Artier” is the word to say, though. And while this thing screams “foreign art house production!” it also blew my mind as one of the most unique films I have seen in a long, long time. And the fact that it took years to make The Wolf House already reminds me of productions like Eraserhead, where the length of time in the artistic community building a product is almost as important as whatever end result you get. 

Still, this thing is a trip. Check out this quip from the reviewer of Ebert’s page. (This is hilarious)-

Such a ruthlessly claustrophobic horror show will surely be the worst possible programming for many viewers currently in quarantine, yet there is a certain breed of genre-loving cinephile that will not only embrace this picture wholeheartedly, but view it multiple times, preferably under the influence of cannabis. You know who you are, and I have no doubt the wolf does too.”

I’m not going to try to describe the look of this film. Here. Check it out when you can.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.