Oscars 2021: Best Costume Design

Who WILL win?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Costume Designers Guild nominees:

Excellence in Sci-Fi / Fantasy Film

• “Dolittle” – Jenny Beavan
  • “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey” – Michael Wilkinson
  • “Mulan” – Bina Daigeler
  • “Pinocchio“ – Massimo Cantini Parrini
  • “Wonder Woman 1984” – Lindy Hemming

Excellence in Contemporary Film

• “Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar” – Trayce Gigi Field
  • “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” – Erin Benach
  • “Da 5 Bloods” – Donna Berwick
  • “Promising Young Woman” – Nancy Steiner
  • “The Prom” – Lou Eyrich

Excellence in Period Film

• “Emma” – Alexandra Byrne
  • “Judas and the Black Messiah” – Charlese Antoinette Jones
  • “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” – Ann Roth
  • “Mank” – Trish Summerville
  • “One Night in Miami ” – Francine Jamison-Tanchuck

The most recent of the "period films" is Judas and the Black Messiah, which culminates in the death of Fred Hampton in 1969. So all five of the contenders in that category take place at least 50 years ago. Emma is the only one that takes place more than a century ago (indeed, it takes place more than *two* centuries ago).

The "contemporary film" nominees all basically take place "today", I think, though Da 5 Bloods does have some flashbacks to the Vietnam War approximately half a century ago. (I can't recall if the film specified a year for those flashbacks, but it's *possible* they took place before Judas and the Black Messiah and, thus, that there is some chronological overlap between the two categories here. Then again, there certainly *is* some overlap if we count the brief epilogue in Judas and the Black Messiah, which depicts an interview that William O'Neal gave in 1989-1990.)

It's interesting that Birds of Prey is categorized as "contemporary" while its fellow DC Extended Universe movie Wonder Woman 1984 is "sci-fi/fantasy". (Three years ago, the first Wonder Woman was also "sci-fi/fantasy", while I, Tonya -- which starred Margot Robbie, just like Birds of Prey! -- was "contemporary" despite taking place between the 1970s and 1990s. So Wonder Woman *could* have been a "contemporary" film if it had escaped the "sci-fi/fantasy" ghetto the same way Birds of Prey did.)

The winners will be announced April 13.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Vote!

Note: the Oscars nominated three of the guild's 'Period' nominees (EmmaMa Rainey's Black BottomMank), two of the guild's 'Fantasy' nominees (MulanPinocchio), and none of its 'Contemporary' nominees.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 8:23 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Costume Designers Guild nominees:

Excellence in Sci-Fi / Fantasy Film

• “Dolittle” – Jenny Beavan
  • “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey” – Michael Wilkinson
  • “Mulan” – Bina Daigeler
  • “Pinocchio“ – Massimo Cantini Parrini
  • “Wonder Woman 1984” – Lindy Hemming

Excellence in Contemporary Film

• “Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar” – Trayce Gigi Field
  • “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” – Erin Benach
  • “Da 5 Bloods” – Donna Berwick
  • “Promising Young Woman” – Nancy Steiner
  • “The Prom” – Lou Eyrich

Excellence in Period Film

• “Emma” – Alexandra Byrne
  • “Judas and the Black Messiah” – Charlese Antoinette Jones
  • “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” – Ann Roth
  • “Mank” – Trish Summerville
  • “One Night in Miami ” – Francine Jamison-Tanchuck

. . . The winners will be announced April 13.

And the winners are... MulanPromising Young Woman, and Ma Rainey's Black Bottom!