Overstreet

Watchmen (2009)

It looks cool, but are they going to deal with the fact that, say Nite-Owl was pudgy for much of the Graphic Novel? He looks pretty fit in that pic.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Man, you really are excited! ;)

I was planning on fixing that (I think it's because of the glitches that have happened to site over the past day), but it is pretty funny, so I'm gonna keep it. :lol:

Crimson, Nite-Owl

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The first trailer for Watchmen will play in front of The Dark Knight, along with trailers for Terminator Salvation and Body Of Lies. Details...

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The latest video journal features Dave Gibbons, the artist on the original graphic novel.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Watchmen trailer is indeed awesome, even if I could make out the digital grid on a few of the special effects. (Is that an effect of blowing the image up to IMAX size, I wonder?) They even seem to have kept the blue nuclear guy's nudity, which kind of surprised me. (I'm not surprised that it's in the film, but in the trailer...?)

I'm just speechless.

Is that good or bad?

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

If anyone hasn't read the Watchmen comics and is, for some reason, adverse to reading comics, then you can experience a fairly close approximation through the "Motion Comics" that Warner Premiere has started putting out.

You can download them, for free, through iTunes. As of now, only the first episode, which covers the first issues of the series, is available.

I pulled out my dog-eared copy of the TPB, and this is a close adaptation. About 1 panel is every 9 is cut for time, but often it is just a condensation of material. A few lines of dialogue here and there are removed or slightly altered, presumably for time. I guess Alan Moore's disassociation from the film extends to this material as well, as his name is nowhere to be found. Dave Gibbons is credited as "artist" and "consultant." The art is unchanged, aside from the animated flourishes. I found this quite nice, with good narration(all one actor, audio book style) and evocative music. I was almost fooled into thinking there was a full cast, the actor is that good. That is, until I heard him read a female character.

As good as this is, if you don't read the comics you are missing out on the groundbreaking, and illuminating, supplemental material that was published as back-matter for each issue. I think of these as a kind of extended teaser for the film, and they certainly got my excitement up for a full fledged movie version. I hope that this material speaks to a faithfulness on the part of the filmmakers, Alan Moore's thoughts aside.

owlgod.blogspot.com - My thoughts on all kinds of media

FWIW, link to my blog post on why it might be better to have a Watchmen movie nowadays rather than back in the '90s when Gilliam was attached to the project; at the bottom of the post, I link to various news reports (including the original legal documents) regarding Fox's lawsuit against Warner, which, if successful, would prevent the film from getting released at all.

As much as I like Moore (or, more accurately, some of his work), I'm realizing more and more how much of a grouch the guy is. At this point, no matter how good any four color-to-screen adaptation might be, he'll curse it up and down. So, in that case, so what if he doesn't want his name attached? That means Gibbons will get more royalties

I watched the trailer 4 or 5 or 6 times as I was making my way through the graphic novel. The pacing of the novel was great and it was pretty exciting finally recognizing various scenes from the trailer as I got further into the novel. But then I hit the 90% mark and it trailed off. I was really displeased with the ending, but I loved the buildup. Kind of a letdown. I'm significantly less interested in the movie adaptation now. :(

I know a few others that hate the ending, and their reasoning varies wildly. I taught a class on the graphic novel for a college credit, and I think only three students liked the ending out of the eight.

That said, I think it's the only ending that makes sense, based on what's come before. It's not the most satisfying

That said, I think it's the only ending that makes sense, based on what's come before. It's not the most satisfying

Perhaps you're right... it may be the only ending that works in the context of the story. But that context apparently is a time where

the inevitable result of the Cold War was a nuclear confrontation

, which we can judge with hindsight these days. I still felt cheated, having followed the buildup of strong characters such as Night Owl and Rorschach only to see them

discarded to focus on a man who amounts to nothing more than a minor character throughout the rest of the novel. The former two characters are interesting, but as soon as we move into the climactic act, they're as worthless as their attempts to stop Ozymandias.

It was jarring and unsatisfying. Yet the novel touches on brilliance at points, specifically the two chapters on Mars. Absolutely superb... I just thought the pacing and buildup which were all executed very well came to an unsastisfying conclusion.

While he very little face-time for the bulk of novel, Ozymandias is absolutely focal to the story; the guy IS everywhere. There is almost a reference to him on every single page, and if you go back and re-read it, you'll notice that his presence is everywhere, his earlier decisions are focal to everything that's happening, and so on. And I wouldn't say Dan or Walter are discarded either, especially since their two reactions to Veidt's terrible plan are the ones that matter most

Edited by Jason Panella

I'm with Jason: I think the ending is perfect as it is. Not only for the reasons outlined above, but also for the way in which it, like the rest of Watchmen, continually deconstructs the entire superhero genre, with all of its cliches and stereotypes, while at the same time, affirming and celebrating those things as well.

For example, when Ozymandias remarks that he's not some "Republic Serial villain" right before revealing that he has already put in motion the destruction of New York. True, his aims are far from a typical villain's -- he wants to save the world, after all -- and yet noone can argue that the particulars of his plan were, in fact,

incredibly villainous. And in the process of saving the world, he becomes the very megalomaniac that he derides earlier on when recounting his spiritual journey retracing the steps of Alexander The Great. Perhaps a slightly more beneficent megalomaniac, but a megalomaniac nevertheless.

As I read the ending and the various characters' fates, it just made me appreciate all the more the complexity of both the narrative and the characters. The Watchmen is one of those rare books that one can enjoy from an "academic" perspective -- the narrative structure and post-modern deconstruction are fascinating -- but also from a more "emotional" perspective. I found Rorschach's story, in particular, very compelling. For all of its structural complexity and deconstruction, it is still, at its heart, a classic superhero tale.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I mean, how COULD it have ended? If anything, if it ended in a less-Greek tragedy way, I don't think there'd be as much conversation about it.

How could it have ended?? When one of your characters is a literal deus ex machina... there are lots of possible endings. :)

I mean, how COULD it have ended? If anything, if it ended in a less-Greek tragedy way, I don't think there'd be as much conversation about it.

How could it have ended?? When one of your characters is a literal deus ex machina... there are lots of possible endings. :)

Ah, but can he really be a deus ex machina when his actions are completely and absolutely pre-determined (in his mind, at least)?

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The A.V. Club looks at Watchmen (contains some potential "light" spoilers):

Crackling with pre-millennial tension and Shakespearean complexity, Watchmen is an exquisitely dense, multi-layered masterpiece that fully acknowledges the innate ridiculousness of superhero mythology -- grown men dressing like animals to fight crime, the goofy costumes, the oddball supervillains and their outsized schemes, the undercurrent of kinky fetishism lying just under the surface of so many comics -- while maintaining a sense of awe and wonder about its multi-layered creations.

Moore and Gibbons create such a vast, epic world

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/movies/30watc.html' target="_blank">Studio War Involving