Sign in to follow this  
Christian

'The Celebration' Is Out!

My favorite film from the 1990s, Thomas Vinterberg's The Celebration, has made it to DVD. I don't keep up with the latest DVD releases; I just stumbled upon the title while browsing at Borders.

But ... and it's a big "but" ... the Borders that carried the title had only the "Full Screen" edition! I saw the film twice in the theater, and I'm pretty sure it was a widescreen film, maybe 2.35:1, although it could've been 1.66:1. Either way, the 1.33:1 "full screen" edition would be cropped.

I looked up the title on Amazon but couldn't confirm the availability of a widescreen version of this DVD. And the few DVD-review sites I visited had no reviews posted. The title was released July 27, according to Amazon.

Can anyone confirm the existence of a widescreen edition of "The Celebration"? And, can anyone point me to a decent review of the DVD, from a reputable site? Thanks!

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

According to the IMDB, the aspect ratio for The Celebration is 1.33:1, or full-frame.

The only other information related to this was a thread on DVDTalk, which confirms that the OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) is 1.33:1.

Hope this helps.

Excellent. Thank you, gentlemen. I had begun to despair when I saw three more copies of the DVD at another Borders today -- and all "full frame"!

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a theatrical print that was cropped on the top and bottom by the projectionist in order to make it accommodate American screens.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I suppose this film was discussed to death in previous incarnations of the board, but having only seen this film a couple of weeks ago, I have this to say: 'ZOWIE!!!!!!!'

A stunner, a cinematic kick in the stomach, a tour de force, a Dove chocolate ice cream bar of a movie, a transformative experience...you get the idea. I hesitate to recommend this film to everyone - for those with traumatic family backgrounds, this is a film that could definitely open some old wounds. But man, what a powerful empathic look at the damaging effects of family secrets and the lengths to which families will go to maintain a deceitful status quo. My wife and I talked this one over for quite a while after the credits disappeared, and this film has remained under my skin since then.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Good stuff, Andrew.

As much as I love this film, when my wife joined me to watch our DVD (her first viewing, my third), my joy wasn't contagious. When the film ended, she shrugged her shoulders and murmured, "Huh," and that was it. No further discussion since.

It is my favorite, and I am Dogme Man. However, I've had an R1 disc for years. Wonder where I got it from? Hmm... I'd go look but it has been at an ex-Professor's house for a few months. Now that a real version is out -- and since I got an A in the class -- she can just hold on to it for a while. But FWIW, I thought the version I had was great. And I'm almost absolutely sure it was R1.

-s.

edit: With the year's jump in the conversation I didn't notice the thread started in 2004. Most likely I bought the version you are talking about, Christian. However I still think I've had the DVD a lot longer than a year.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Ali MacGraw to Make Broadway Debut

Ali MacGraw will make her Broadway debut in "Festen," the London hit that will also star Larry Bryggman, Michael Hayden and Julianna Margulies. The play, David Eldridge's stage adaptation of the acclaimed 1998 Danish film, is the story of a family in turmoil, with Bryggman playing the patriarch, MacGraw as his wife and Hayden and Margulies as their children. "Festen," originally seen in London in 2004, will open April 9 at the Music Box Theatre. Preview performances begin March 23.

Associated Press, February 9

- - -

Given how essential the home-video-camera cinematography was to the film's aesthetic, and to that strange feeling of intimacy the film had, I can't imagine how this would work as a PLAY ... but anyhoo ...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Given how essential the home-video-camera cinematography was to the film's aesthetic, and to that strange feeling of intimacy the film had, I can't imagine how this would work as a PLAY ... but anyhoo ...

Plays often feel far more intimate than films, so long as they're staged in an intimate theatre space.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd