What's Your Favorite Olympic Sport?

What's Your Favorite Olympic Sport?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Track and Field. The most elemental of competition. You run. You jump. You throw stuff. Just like when you were a kid, but with technique and calculation.

Being a historical romantic, I have to put the modern pentathalon second. An updating of the knightly quest comprising running, jumping, pistol shooting, javelin, and horsemanship.

Yes, you can bring beer, but not if you are competing.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Pedigree and tradition. A more modern association with shooting and archery would be an RPG event w00t.gif

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I voted Track and field (Thought it wise not to confess to my addiction to beach volley ball here wink.gif )

And within that it's all about the 100m. There's plenty of pre-race tension, but its all over in one short incredibly intense moment. My favourite Olympic memory, by far is Linfoird Christie winning Gold in '92. We were in the middle of changing the carpet in our lounge nad had to squat on a roll of carpet to watch it. My brother had a french exchange student over who didn't really know what to think as this previously calm and normal family went absolutely crazy. Unbelieveable moment.

Matt

Tae kwon do, since I've been studying for a couple of years. bully.gif

I'll have to be tuned in at 5 a.m., though.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Volleyball and beach volleyball are also very good sports.

Plus Canada beet the USA in beach volleyball.

But why does Canada suck so much lol

I had to watch diving yesterday just to see my country get a medal. Yikes.

"Whos more of the fool,the fool or the fool who follows". Obi-Wan Kenobi

Brent M.

I'm more of a 400 man. The perfect synthesis of sprint and endurance. I go bonkers over the 4x400 as well.

Yep, gymnastics got my vote as well. I even love the rythmic kind!

I even love the rythmic kind!

Ahem. I thought that this was about sports. tongue.gif

dry.gif

HA! Good one. wink.gif

Edit: Oh! That crack reminds me of all the chatter several years ago about ballroom dancing becoming an Olympic sport. Wouldn't you guys just love that?

Edited by Diane

OK, we can joke about this, but the subject itself is serious. They will drop baseball, softball, and modern pentathelon after 2008. Personnally I'd say that the first two could arguably be said to have not belonged to begin with, but the pentathelon? Such a broad test of skills for only one medal? It's a shame they can't find it in themselves to promote this better. Heck, with the way that military personnel has changed, I'd like to see a women's mod pent.

I'm actually surprised they would drop baseball and softball. They seem to be farily popular. Why is Basketball there then??

But i'm totally stunned that they would drop the pentathelon . Thats a great event/s

Hmm sad to here. I think they should just keep the Games how they are.

On another note has anybody seen Ping Pong yet?? Has it even started yet?

Brent M.

I don't think it's scheduled yet. I think next week.

OH THE HORROR!! Comcast doesn't have Telemundo and I'm missing soccer. All of it. Though I'm sure they will give it a little prime time exposure towards the end of competition, particularly if Iraq or Greece is hanging around. Also, I'm not getting the fencing coverage Ithought I'd get. Hardly seen a thing.

Thank the Lord for CBC Sports. Excellent coverage, analysis with little fluff, but most importantly, great commercials. Best so far: a quiet McDonalds commercial (honest, I really saw one) where a guy and a girl are eating their meals on some steps when the guy starts hunting franticly through his bag and wrappers. "There's no toy.", the girl says.

I havent seen any soccer yet. Just highlights. As for fencing ive never seen highlights even. Would like to see that sport.

I love the commercials for Mcdonalds. My is the swimming one. Where Ronald is so far ahead of the other racers. He looks to funny. Big feet and the red hair does it for me Haha.

Brent M.

I saw that one too, but I thought I'd seen it on CBC. The greater point I should have made is that the Canadian ad industry tends to outdo itself for great sports events. I don't know if The Grey Cup qualifies for this, but hockey playoffs, Olympic coverage (winter and summer), and possibly "Hockey Night in Canada". There is something unique about the humor in Cnandian mass market commercials that is subtle, silly, and about character all at the same time.