Brewmance

Andrew

It's not groundbreaking stylistically or anything, but this is a fun documentary for anyone with at least a passing interest in craft brewing.  Folks here might find it of more than usual interest, since one of the two microbrew startups profiled sees their business as a form of Christian ministry.  My review: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/2021/04/brewmance-serves-a-tasty-look-at-american-craft-brewing/

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I've had 10 Mile beer at their 2nd location. I look forward to checking out Liberation at some point.

You, of course, have moved into the hub of micro-brewing. I've been to 3 of the breweries in Bellingham, but that's just a start.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

3 hours ago, Darrel Manson said:

I've had 10 Mile beer at their 2nd location. I look forward to checking out Liberation at some point.

You, of course, have moved into the hub of micro-brewing. I've been to 3 of the breweries in Bellingham, but that's just a start.

And how was 10 Mile beer?  The father and son look like they know what they're doing.

And yes, I'm a kid in a candy shop right now.  There's an embarrassment of choices here, and I limit myself to one beer a day, so I'll be in the discovery phase for a long time yet.  I was actually at a fabulous bottle shop in Bellingham on Friday and went a little overboard; I used a random number generator on Saturday to choose among the 11 IPAs in my fridge!

- Akira Kurosawa

Andrew, I appreciate the link to the various platforms at the end of your review. Around the time I stopped writing reviews, I stopped reading them - or many of them. I'll still go to friend's links when I come across them or, more often, click through to certain critics' reviews when scrolling a film's Metacritic or RT rating. Indeed, I use those platforms not so much for the overall ratings (although those interest me), but to see who reviewed the film at each outlet, sending my clicks to critics I enjoy reading.

A couple of years ago, we bought a Roku TV and (finally) a smartphone, and suddenly a small but soon-to-grow world of platforms became available to me. Yet I've found that figuring out where/how to see a movie still often requires some googling after I've read a review.

Slight digression: You mention your drink-snobbishness and demand for loose-leaf tea. Which brand of tea do you drink? (I'm afraid we have mostly sachets in our home, with a couple of loose leaf teas - and even some single tea bags, which seem to be going the way of the dodo.) We're Harney & Sons fans over here, although I get the sense that whatever cachet that brand once had has diminished as the brand has become more ubiquitous (available for sale at Barnes & Noble, etc.).

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Thanks for the feedback, Christian.  In my first lockdown column last year, I committed to sharing viewing links in all of my reviews till it was safe to return to cinemas, and I think I've done a good job of holding to that.  I agree with you that it can be a challenge to find out how to watch films at home.  JustWatch is my go-to for this, but they're far from complete.  I supplement that with regular check-ins at a handful of arthouse cinema websites, to see what they're offering:  though I'm now on the west coast, I still check what the Grail and Fine Arts Theatre in Asheville are playing, but now I've added the Lincoln Theatre (it's in easy walking distance from my home!) and the Pickford Film Center in the Mount Vernon/Bellingham area.

As far as teas, my favorites are purchased online from Red Blossom in San Francisco's Chinatown and High Climate Tea in Asheville.  I chanced across Red Blossom when vacationing in 2018; their in-store staff are super-friendly and knowledgeable, and their teas are consistently superb.  Hunter, the owner/manager of High Climate was mentored by a chap at Red Blossom before opening his business in 2019 (I think); pre-pandemic, I would routinely spend 30-45 min geeking out with him over tea, and talking Japanese cinema and literature.  He taught me the best way to prepare a good cup of tea and introduced me to the joys of pu'er.  Good times.  Dobra Tea is also a mostly reliable tea source, though the personal touch found at the other two locales isn't as consistent. 

- Akira Kurosawa