Sign in to follow this  

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I know that Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter in the films) has said that he thinks that Harry will die at the end of book 7. He thinks that the connection between Harry and Voldemort is so intertwined that Voldemort cannot die unless Harry dies also.

It would certainly make some sense. But then again, Mrs. Rowling has the final word on that...

That second site isn't loading for me. angry.gif

Just out of curiosity, what are the sources on that stuff? Is it Rowling herself?

Also as a big Potter fan, I want to be careful of spoilers. Stuff like Dumbledore's patronus, could be considered spoilers by some fans.

I know that Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter in the films) has said that he thinks that Harry will die at the end of book 7. He thinks that the connection between Harry and Voldemort is so intertwined that Voldemort cannot die unless Harry dies also.

I think she poo-poohed that one as soon as it was suggested. The prophecy stuff in Book 5 is pretty clear that it's going to be one or the other of them. So there's that whole "balance of the universe" stuff which comes into play at a time like this: the ol' Star Wars angle. I think the safe money is on not Harry but some of the older guard (i.e. Dumbledore) having to be offed to leave the world free for the youngsters to grow up without the sins of the fathers bearing down on them.

Oh, and there's that Parselmouth/snake speaking stuff which was in Book 2 and we were promised would crop up again later. About time we heard some more about that, really...

Phil.

Shantih wrote:

: I think the safe money is on not Harry but some of the older guard (i.e.

: Dumbledore) having to be offed to leave the world free for the youngsters to

: grow up without the sins of the fathers bearing down on them.

Yeah, I believe John Granger (Orthodox author of two books on the subject) has been predicting the death of Dumbledore for some time.

Yeah, I believe John Granger (Orthodox author of two books on the subject) has been predicting the death of Dumbledore for some time.

But if his patronus is as stated above, will he stay dead?

Interesting thought, Darrell.. although I wonder if JKR will use more of the pheonix/Dumbledore connection as symbolism... something along the lines that those we love never truly die/death is the next great adventure.

Has anyone read the article, "The Changeling Hypothesis," at RedHen? Just curious what your thoughts are... (this article can be found at Red Hen Publications )

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Definitely some interesting ideas in that "Changling Hypothesis" article at Red-Hen.

I'm going to have to go back and re-read my books again, I think. BTW, is there a firm release date for The Half-Blood Prince yet? I know someone had mentioned Christmas, but that seems like it would be a pretty quick release. I'm chomping at the bit here!

I'm going to have to go back and re-read my books again, I think. BTW, is there a firm release date for The Half-Blood Prince yet? I know someone had mentioned Christmas, but that seems like it would be a pretty quick release. I'm chomping at the bit here!

Rowling has said recently that she's well into the writing but certainly not finished yet. The turnaround time for OotP through editing and printing was around six months, so I wouldn't expect to see it before next Fall.

Phil.

OK, here's my way-outta-left-field guess: Dumbledore is actually immortal, and is 'reborn'. He's probably one of the guys who actually founded the school in the first place.

That would be very interesting, especially considering all the controversy surrounding Harry Potter.

OK, here's my way-outta-left-field guess: Dumbledore is actually immortal, and is 'reborn'. He's probably one of the guys who actually founded the school in the first place.

Hmmm... so ol' Dumbledore wouldn't die? Maybe pull a Gandalf? That would be interesting. Which founder do you think he would be- Gryffindor?

On another note- I've got a sneaking suspicion that Dumbledore definitely fools around with time a lot more than we are aware of. I think it's a regular practice for him to use a time turner or something of the like. So maybe this would affect the whole being "reborn" thing (if that is indeed true).

Re: the Changeling Hypothesis, I think that guy's got a fairly good grasp on some ideas... I'm not sure if I buy into everything he says, but it's certainly food for thought. If indeed what he says is the truth, then that would affect if Harry will die.

According to the hp lexicon,

The name "Hogwarts" is actually the name of a flower. JKR said: "Ideas come from all sorts of places and sometimes I don't realise where I got them from. A friend from London recently asked me if I remembered when we first saw Hogwarts. I had no idea what she was talking about until she recalled the day we went to Kew Gardens and saw those lilies that were called Hogwarts. I'd seen them seven years before and they'd bubbled around in my memory. When Hogwarts occurred to me as a name for the school, I had no idea where it came from."

Don't know if this totally answers the question- doesn't explain what it means, per se- but it's interesting. It always intrigues me how there are certain things that repeat themselves in the books: lots of places & people with names that relate to flowers (Fleur, Petunia, Lily, Narcissa... etc.) and lots of "celestial" names (Sirius, Remus, ok now my mind is going blank... dry.gifthere's more, I promise!! )blush.gif

Found this today... it's just confirmation of earlier rumors, but no details. I cut out the spoilers1.gif at the end of the article for those who haven't read "Order of the Phoenix"... I just wish the article had warned me, since I didn't know the outcome angry.gif

Another 'Harry Potter' Character to Die

2 hours, 1 minute ago  Entertainment - AP

LONDON - "Harry Potter (news - web sites)" author J.K. Rowling (news - web sites) said Friday that one of her characters will not survive the next book in her series about the young wizard.

Asked on her official Web site whether she planned to kill off any more characters, Rowling replied, "Yes, sorry." But she refused to identify that character.

The sixth book in the series, "Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince," is due to be published next year.

Potter himself is safe, at least for now. Rowling has previously said her teenage hero will survive until the seventh and final book in the series, but has refused to say whether he will reach adulthood.

"You have to wait and see whether he survives to be a grown-up," Rowling said in August.

The 39-year-old author keeps the plots of her novels tightly under wraps, teasing fans with morsels of information.

Before the publication of her last installment, "Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix," she said a major character would die. Readers had to wait until the book appeared last year to discover the victim was ......

For which country is that cover?  It looks more like the American covers I have seen than the British or Canadian ones.

Yeah, I think it must be the American one, because it uses the lightning-bolt logo, which is, I think, exclusive to the American editions.

Gunshot As Alleged Thief Peddles 'Potter'

A man who allegedly tried to sell a stolen copy of the forthcoming Harry Potter book to two tabloid newspapers fired a handgun next to the head of a reporter who came to meet him, police said. The reporter was not injured.

Associated Press, June 5

Tolkien said he didn't write LOTR as an allegory, and there was no direct relation between Nazism and Sauron, but I am in speculation about whether Voldemort is a literary version of Hitler. We already know the son-of-gun won't die. How many assasinations did Hitler survive? I wonder whether Rowling will continue this magic caste system, i.e., half-bloods, S.P.E.W., goblins, giants, squibs, etc. To me, this is the least enchanting aspect of the books.

FWIW, I'll be posting spoiler-laden chapter-by-chapter thoughts on the book here. I repeat: chapter-by-chapter. So if you've only made it to, say, Chapter 5, feel free to read as far as that, and then stop. (I'm only up to Chapter 2 at the moment, myself.)

Chapter 13

Was the book available on Friday, or Saturday? Because I thought it was only on sale starting Saturday, but on my way to work Friday morning there was an enormous mob of people outside Borders, many wearing cloaks and John Lennon glasses, etc. Among them were the usual little runny-nosed hellions yelling "Hah-wee Paw-Dew! Hah-wee Paw-Dew!". I didn't think the book was even on sale yet at this point, so what could they have possibly been doing there? Geez.

Anyways, I was one of the few people who was very disenchanted with the bloated, melodramatic, anticlimactic Order of the Phoenix, so I wasn't a part of the aforementioned crowd. Order had some cool moments here and there, but it didn't ultimately accomplish much, in my opinion. For me, it would be the equivalent of

a Star Wars film inserted inbetween

Empire and Jedi that exists for the sole reason of telling us that either Luke will kill Vader or Vader will kill Luke...as if we couldn't have figured that out anyways!

Hence, I don't mind waiting a few days to plunge into part six.

FWIW, I made it to the end of chapter 11 before getting home from church today. So far I've only blogged the first 5 chapters, though.

Mister Jeff wrote:

: Was the book available on Friday, or Saturday?

Technically Saturday, but many stores sold it at 12:01am on Friday night -- just after midnight, which is technically Saturday.

: I didn't think the book was even on sale yet at this point, so what could they have

: possibly been doing there? Geez.

Pre-release partying, I assume.

: Anyways, I was one of the few people who was very disenchanted with the bloated,

: melodramatic, anticlimactic Order of the Phoenix . . .

"One of the few"? On the contrary, my impression is that MOST people found that book bloated and anticlimactic. Even John Granger, who seems to like Rowling's books more than most, acknowledges in passing in his latest book that Order of the Phoenix could have been shorter. (FWIW, I just checked my copy this morning and realized that it was a whopping 766 pages, which is way more than the 607 pages of Half-Blood Prince -- or the 636 pages of Goblet of Fire, for that matter. I guess this makes Prince the shortest Harry Potter book since Prisoner of Azkaban.)