Sign in to follow this  

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

Very envious of all you guys who get to go to this. I've always had to know the film via the medium of a very small TV set my university library.

It's a scary film. All twisted, angular and designed expressly to not give the audience any comfort. Caligari is the point where cinema stopped being a medium about realism and begun to use its imagery to portray things which *didn't* exist. And when we're thinking about how cinema sparks the imagination and can illuminate spirituality without necessarily setting out to *be* spiritual... Well, it's an important starting point for that process.

Not to mention the start of the horror genre: Mad scientists with creatures with run amok and are victimised by society, and which then find love. They're all here. It's still an astonishing film. And with live accompaniment... I hope some of you guys get to go along!!

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

Are you going, Alan? I'd probably be able to make it to this...

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

How far is Phoenixville from Chicago? Could i make it there in less than seven hours? Somehow i don't think it's possible. Sure wish i could see Caligari on the big screen though. I would make a seven hour trip to see it, but unfortunately i believe Phoenixville is probably closer to 11 hours from Chicago.

OK, let's put the question like this then -- what speed would i have to drive if i wanted to leave at noon in Chicago and make it to Phoenixville by the time Caligari played?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

*sigh*

Yep.

*sigh*

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

It's too bad you won't be able to make it Stef. sad.gif

I made sure I have off work that day, I'm excited to see this on the big screen...

"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Ooh! Dinner and a movie! Sounds good to me! biggrin.gif

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!

Caligari to be screened in Bristol, UK on Sunday October 24th at 3pm at The Watershed

with new musical accompaniment:

Featuring Live Music composed and

performed by Geoff Smith on hammered dulcimers.

One of the best known and celebrated silent films of all time. With its revolutionary German expressionist sets it influenced a legion of directors including Fritz Lang, Orson Wells and Stanley Kubrick.

Here presented with the Britsh Film Institute's colour tinted print with a live accompaniment from world acclaimed master of hammered dulcimer music Geoff Smith.

Geoff Smith

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

I'll definitely be there -- I'm just not sure how I'm getting there. I am currently without a car so if my friend(s) come(s) I can ride with them -- if not I'll probably take the train. I'll PM you my plans as soon as they're in order Alan.