tara filma

Scriptwriters

74 posts in this topic

I got commissioned to co-write a short for a guy here in Cincinnati. When I say commissioned, I mean I received a commission of pizza and beer. But the producer has this vision for three friends, one successful, the other two not, on a road trip to get a package arriving from Amsterdam. Me and the co-writer (who of course is the brother of the producer--no sibling rivalry issues in this family let me assure you), looked at him and said, "We write drama".

To which he replied, "Sure you do. But this piece is going to be funny."

So now we are in the throes of a major rewrite, the co-writer absolutely disgusted because his brother didn't like the first draft, and we have to have this thing finished by Thursday.

Hellooo, coffee tonight.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Instead, I wrote another emotionally heavy script about a family crisis. Lots of silences and staring and a hopefully cathartic ending. I wracked my brain and my heart for warmly funny material, but came up dry. They say "write what you know," and that's the sort of stuff that I know well, at least right now. Enough that I'm beginning to feel like I'm just not made to write comedy, or at least nothing that avoids camp.

Are you in my head, typing out what I feel? How uncanny--is one of your characters an out of work painter and the other a Jewish stoner?

I got commissioned to co-write a short for a guy here in Cincinnati. When I say commissioned, I mean I received a commission of pizza and beer.

Ah, but what kind of pizza and what kind of beer?

Instead, I wrote another emotionally heavy script about a family crisis. Lots of silences and staring and a hopefully cathartic ending. I wracked my brain and my heart for warmly funny material, but came up dry. They say "write what you know," and that's the sort of stuff that I know well, at least right now. Enough that I'm beginning to feel like I'm just not made to write comedy, or at least nothing that avoids camp.

Are you in my head, typing out what I feel? How uncanny--is one of your characters an out of work painter and the other a Jewish stoner?

Yes, but we're all really trapped inside Charlie Kaufman's head. It's one of those Russian doll things.

If I replaced the young brothers (one of whom spends most of the film in a coma) in my script with those two characters...well let me put it this way: I showed my DP some clips from Silent Light and stills from Bergman films to give him a feel for the type of look and feel I want.

But I'm liking the idea of this more and more...

EDIT: Btw, Ryan, that has to be the best avatar I've seen in a while.

Edited by N.W. Douglas

Btw, Ryan, that has to be the best avatar I've seen in a while.

:D

I'm quite proud of it.

Is this the one with medieval scholar in the distant future? Maybe you should take a break and write a short comedy about an out of work painter and a Jewish stoner. It's working wonders for me.

I'm beginning to think that some people can write scripts and others just can't. I'm one of those who can't.

I've been working on an idea for a good six months now. Probably more. I find that I break from a certain idea and then find a new idea to take its place, which dramatically alters the storyline I've already written. On top of it, I find it incredibly difficult to incorporate interesting elements in a script, such as a twist. It often turns into something completely stupid.

Thank God for the almighty dollar.

Edited by Mr. Brown

Maybe you should take a break and write a short comedy about an out of work painter and a Jewish stoner. It's working wonders for me.

Honestly, a comedy might be nice. I think I could do it. But I'd probably do something like Scorsese's AFTER HOURS, but with more social satire. Absurd and dark.

I've been working on an idea for a good six months now. Probably more. I find that I break from a certain idea and then find a new idea to take its place, which dramatically alters the storyline I've already written.

This probably doesn't mean that you can't write a script. It probably just means your idea isn't ready. Some people can crank out stories. Others need them to percolate a while.

Hah--I forgot the /sarcasm tag on the "working wonders" part. So far pizza and beer has turned into Orange Crush and Nestle Bake and Breaks. Hmmm.

And Mr. Brown, if you're seriously interested in scriptwriting, I'd love to recommend the Glen Workshop, sponsored by Image. I took the screenwriting class last year as a complete novice, and found it a tremendous experience that has helped me a ton. Doesn't mean I can write a "good" script yet--but I know enough to be dangerous.

And percolating is a good thing. My closest thing to a completed script has been percolating for almost two years. Should have a final draft ready to be shopped by the end of the month.

Just sent in my script to my first contest (scriptapalooza, which seems to have a good reputation). I think I'm on draft four or so, but it feels done. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck, Buckeye! What's the story?

Thanks, David. The story is about a young immigrant who returns to her native Albania to find and save her missing brother, who's caught in a bloodfeud.

Just sent in my script to my first contest (scriptapalooza, which seems to have a good reputation). I think I'm on draft four or so, but it feels done. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

I can't wait until I get to the point where you're at with my own screenplay. But congrats. Hope you do well in the contest!

Ryan, keep at it! I'm looking forward to hearing about it--(or them, since you have so many cooking)!

Cool. Austin and Sundance deadlines are May 1; Zoetrope is August 1; the Nicholl Fellowship hasn't posted theirs yet.

So now you have some motivational deadlines.

I really want to submit to Zoetrope.

Awesome quote from Robert Towne:

"A movie is really only four or five moments between two people; the rest of it exists to give those moments their impact and resonance."

Awesome quote from Robert Towne:

"A movie is really only four or five moments between two people; the rest of it exists to give those moments their impact and resonance."

I can see this. Off the top of my head from Towne's own Chinatown...

1. "I don't get tough with anyone, Mr. Gittes. My lawyer does." - The real Evelyn Mulwray introduces herself to an understandably confused Jake Gittes.

2. "But, Mrs. Mulwray, I goddamn near lost my nose. And I like it. I like breathing through it. And I still think you're hiding something." - Gittes is hired by Mulwray to investigate who has a motive for setting up her husband.

3. "You... you've seen my father?" - Gittes informs Mulwray that he has been talking to her father, in what becomes a very awkward post-coital scene.

4. "She's my _____. (slap) She's my ______. (slap) She's my _____. (slap)" - Family secrets.

5. "Evelyn, put that gun away. Let the police handle this." - In Chinatown.

So almost three and a half years later, I just finished up my initial scene by scene outline for my next script.  My goal is to have Draft 1 done by St. Patrick's Day.  Yay!  Then I'll have two and a quarter (the 1/4 being a defunct comedic short).

Anyone else got anything cooking?

I'm still tinkering away on a few screenplay projects. I wrapped up my pet project of the past few years, a riff on 1960s spymania, and have turned my attention to a nasty neo-noir.

Sounds intriguing...any plans to submit to a contest or market them?

The neo-noir, probably.

My spymania script is pretty wonky, so I'm hesitant to throw it out there. I wrote it mainly to get it out of my system.

The neo-noir, probably.

My spymania script is pretty wonky, so I'm hesitant to throw it out there. I wrote it mainly to get it out of my system.

I read quite a lot of scripts - maybe 100 a year - and I'd be happy to give yours a look if you ever want a quick proofread or inexpert opinion. I'm plotting my own debut masterpiece at the moment....

Ditto--I don't read a hundred scripts a year like Anodos, but if you want a set of eyes on it, I'd be happy to give it a read. 

The neo-noir, probably.

I read quite a lot of scripts - maybe 100 a year - and I'd be happy to give yours a look if you ever want a quick proofread or inexpert opinion. I'm plotting my own debut masterpiece at the moment....

This just popped up in my E-mails (I receive updates from Withoutabox.)  Seeing as some of you have finished scripts I thought you might be interested.

The First Look Project, presented by Script Pipeline