Clint M

Upcoming Criterion Releases

I doubt my telepathic powers are as honed as Jeffrey's, but just in case Criterion is picking up vibes from this board, let me try my hand at a wish list:

Von Stroheim's Greed

Bresson's A Gentle Woman

Losey's The Go-Between

Hopper's The Last Movie

Skolimowski's The Shout 

These great films all have one thing in common: they've never been on DVD in this country. Greed is so monumental a masterwork that I wonder if copyright issues are involved.

Kinch   
On 1/6/2016 at 3:26 PM, Evan C said:

Criterion's drawing of hints for upcoming releases

Analytical breakdown here

Of the guesses in the second link, I'd say The New World, Phoenix, Chimes at Midnight, and The Squid and the Whale seem the most definitely right.

Kings of the Road (and, by extension, the other two entries of his Road Trilogy) is also a foregone conclusion, I'd say, since Janus is touring that Wenders retrospective right now. It would also seem to be supported by what Wenders himself told Indiewire in late 2014.

The July releases represent an unusually strong lineup. Muriel in high-def is a godsend, since I couldn't seem to appreciate Resnais's color work in the inferior Koch Lorber release. But A Touch of Zen has been a white whale of sorts for a long time. I saw it as a grad student at Chapman on a shamefully crappy Region 1 disc and remember being blown away just the same. Afterward, David Desser remarked that Criterion needs to release a restored version for the sake of film studies. He was right, and here it is!

Rushmore   

The New World fills a strange gap in the collection: it's the first numbered release from 2005.

...and Criterion's second Coen brothers film this year following their recent Inside Llewyn Davis.  Too bad Blood Simple's highly, uh, informative DVD commentary track has not been preserved for this release. 

But...Valley of the Dolls movies too??  Isn't Criterion dedicated to...good films? ;)

Edited by Mark R.Y.

Attica   
On June 16, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Mark R.Y. said:

But...Valley of the Dolls movies too??  Isn't Criterion dedicated to...good films?

I'd think that It's dedicated to important films.  I'm not sure that all of their releases are what i would consider to be "good" films. It's also releasing "Carnival of Souls."  I love that film and I think that it is an important film.  It does many things very well and has had wide influence.  But is it a "good" film?  Not so sure about that.

It most certainly is not "good" in comparison to The Decalogue.

Edited by Attica

The semi annual Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble is supposed to start tomorrow, according to the nice sales person I spoke with today.

Evan C   

I think I'll finally pick up Modern Times and Blow Out, but I'll see what's available. I'm debating about getting that Whit Stillman box set, but I'm not sure I really need to own Barcelona.

12 hours ago, Evan C said:

I think I'll finally pick up Modern Times and Blow Out, but I'll see what's available. I'm debating about getting that Whit Stillman box set, but I'm not sure I really need to own Barcelona.

Having recently rewatched all three after buying the box set, I think BARCELONA is my favorite.

I have tons that I WANT to buy, but after yesterday's sad news, I am prioritizing LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE and CERTIFIED COPY.

13 hours ago, Evan C said:

Definitely buy Blow Out.

I now own Phoenix, La Promesse, and Andrei Rublev, thanks to B&N's website, as none of those films were at my local store. The New World pre-order is also part of the sale, but I'm limiting myself to three.

Rushmore   

I'd like to have Andrei Rublev, but I keep telling myself maybe they'll put it out on blu-ray.

1 hour ago, Rushmore said:

I'd like to have Andrei Rublev, but I keep telling myself maybe they'll put it out on blu-ray.

Me too, but I couldn't wait any longer. I'd also like a Criterion treatment of Leigh's Secrets & Lies.

If you've a Barnes & Noble membership, you can use this coupon in store to save another $8 on top of the 50% off and member discount. I picked up The In-Laws blu-ray for about $10.50 with tax. 

Edited by du Garbandier