Sign in to follow this  
Clint M

Upcoming Criterion Releases

du Garbandier, du Garbandier! You're the Dauphin of Coupons! The Grand Viscount of Discounts! 

The Manchurian Candidate shall be mine! (It's an election year, after all.) 

Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Good heavens, that's a magic combination. Thanks, du Garbandier! 

I'm glad I waited. Now, let's see what they still have in-store when I get there tomorrow.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

UPDATE: Members at the bluray.com forums are reporting that B&N may have stopped accepting the 8/40 coupon overnight, at least on Criterions. Someone tried to use one this morning and the system didn't accept it. I'll try to see if this is indeed the case. I hope not, but if so, my apologies for unduly raising hopes. 

Sorry y'all. The 8/40 coupon is indeed no longer working, according to multiple reports. Bizarre, since I used it just yesterday, and was planning to use it a few more times. B&N must have put the kibosh on it. Apologies for leading you astray, my fellow Criterionphiles...

I believe you might still get the coupon to work if you get a friendly cashier willing to override the system. Personally I don't like making waves with coupon stacking on Criterions, since they are already worth the money. And also I am a coward in general.

The only coupon that seems to be working on Criterions is a $10 off $50, which was emailed this morning. It's an individual specific code, so I don't have a link. If you're a member you may have gotten one in your inbox.

Edited by du Garbandier

They let me use it! The cashier heard a BRRRRTTTT! when she tried to scan the coupon, so she called the manager, he read the fine print carefully, looked at my purchase, and said, "Well, it sure looks good to me." Woo hoo! Membership + coupon + gift card... I got Yang's "masterpiece" for free and have money left over on the card.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I had a pretty good haul this month: In a Lonely Place, The Manchurian Candidate, Don't Look Now, and The American Friend

See you all in November!

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

I picked up A Brighter Summer Day, Chaplin's The Kid, and the Whit Stillman Trilogy. Also I believe the sale goes through the end of July, so I might snag The New World when it releases on the 26th. I will absolutely draw the line there. But not before considering A Touch of Zen. No more after that. Unless... 

Edited by du Garbandier

I finally got over to B&N to pick up some Criterions.  First off, today B&N is taking off an additional 10% for members (they said this was all locations), so a total of 70% off all Criterion purchases, which was incentive enough for me to sign up.  A typical $39.99 Blu-ray is only $15.99 after the discount.  I was originally going to get 5 single films, but with that added incentive I ended up getting 4 singles and 1 collection.  Total cost (including cost of membership) $127.50.

Eraserhead (Lynch)

Harakiri (Kobayashi)

Mulholland Dr. (Lynch)

Watership Down (Rosen)

The Samurai Trilogy (Inagaki)

1. Musashi Miyamoto
  2. Duel at Ichijoji Temple
  3. Duel at Ganryu Island

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

The month is half over, and I only came across the email today.  Amazon's is in the middle of their Criterion Collection sale.  About 30% off most titles throughout September.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro