Upcoming Criterion Releases

Clint M

That's great! Love the list of extras.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between April Fool's gags and net faux cover art, I'm getting really confused as to what is a Criterion release and what isn't.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

The March 25 issue of Commonweal has a nice article on the Criterion releases of Dreyer films.

I just finally allowed myself to spend the $$$ on Criterion's Dreyer box set for this Easter. I own and have seen The Passion of Joan of Arc. I've seen but do not yet own Ordet. I have never seen or ever owned Day of Wrath and Gertrud. I'm excited and will be watching the mail every single day like a little kid.

Richard Alleva's Commonweal article convinced me:

We all know which movies to watch for Christmas, but what about Easter? Are you really satisfied with all those films about prophets treading over desert sand? No, the cinematic companion you need for Passiontide is the Danish director Carl Dreyer. The DVD distributor and film restorer, the Criterion Collection, has made available five major Dreyer films: The Passion of Joan of Arc, Vampyr, Day of Wrath, Ordet, and Gertrud. These are works you need any day of the year but they can make Good Friday just a bit more harrowing and Easter just a bit more hopeful. It's all here: the corruption of the body and the self, and the transcendence of the body and the self; the spirit falling into the abyss, and the spirit reaching for the heavens. Not least of all, these movies look hard and steadily at radical individualism, a quality we Americans so reflexively approve that we have developed an American argot for it--"I need my own space," "I need some down time for myself." But if you want to be grateful for the true glories of individualism and deeply troubled by its dark side, put yourself in the hands of Carl Dreyer ...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Coming November 15...

587_BD_box_348x490.jpg

588_box_348x490_w100.jpg589_box_348x490_w100.jpg590_box_348x490_w100.jpg

DISC FEATURES

New high-definition digital restorations (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray editions)

Three cinema lessons with director Krzysztof Kieślowski

New interviews with composer Zbigniew Preisner; writer Krzysztof Piesiewicz; and actors Julie Delpy, Zbigniew Zamachowski, and Irène Jacob

Selected-scene commentary for Blue with actress Juliette Binoche

Three new video essays, by film writers Annette Insdorf, Tony Rayns, and Dennis Lim

Kieślowski’s student short The Tram (1966) and his fellow student’s short from the same year The Face, which features Kieślowski in a solo performance

Two short documentaries by Kieślowski: Seven Women of Different Ages (1978) and Talking Heads (1980)

Krzysztof Kieślowski: I’m So-So . . . (1995), a feature-length documentary in which the filmmaker discusses his life and work

Two multi-interview programs, Reflections on “Blue” and Kieślowski: The Early Years, with film critic Geoff Andrew, Binoche, filmmaker Agnieszka Holland, cinematographer Sławomir Idziak, Insdorf, Jacob, and editor Jacques Witta

Interviews with producer Marin Karmitz and Witta

Behind-the-scenes programs for White and Red, and Kieślowski Cannes 1994, a short documentary on Red’s world premiere

Original theatrical trailers

New and improved English subtitle translations

PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Colin MacCabe, Nick James, Stuart Klawans, and Georgina Evans, an excerpt from Kieślowski on Kieślowski, and reprinted interviews with cinematographers Sławomir Idziak, Edward Klosinski, and Piotr Sobocinski

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I'm so happy Island of Lost Souls is finally coming to DVD! A great, unnerving horror film and a childhood favorite, it holds up well next to the more iconic Universal horrors of the '30s.

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

I'm more excited for the Three Colors blu box set than I think I have been for any other release this year (had to double check when it was that the Letters from Fontainhas box was released :lol:). It is so very pre-ordered. I'm certain Fanny and Alexander will look stunning, but upgrading my SD is a task that can wait for a sale.

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν.

• 3 months later...

wackychicken.jpg

????

I don't know how to tell a rooster from a chicken, but if that's a rooster, I'd guess True Grit.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

It could be Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush. That's the one where he's so hungry that he boils his shoe, then goes around with his foot wrapped. I think his partner is so hungry that he imagines Chaplin turning into a chicken.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

It could be Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush. That's the one where he's so hungry that he boils his shoe, then goes around with his foot wrapped. I think his partner is so hungry that he imagines Chaplin turning into a chicken.

Yes!!

Really?

Wow. I haven't run into that before.

The film has a small, but passionate following. I'm not necessarily one of the groupies, because I find the film, on the whole, only marginally satisfying, despite a great concept. But it has moments that do more for me than anything from the rest of Fincher's filmography.

At last, This Happy Breed is getting picked up! I remember reading about a David Lean box set in college that would have included it, but got cancelled for some mysterious reason. The film is like an English precursor to The Best Years of Our Lives, and it never fails to loosen my tear ducts.

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

• 4 weeks later...

April releases were announced, I'm most excited about the Hollis Frampton collection, and the Czech New Wave Eclipse set. And hey, how great is the Eclipse line? Sometimes I think I actually prefer them to main Criterion spines.

I'm also so VERY happy to finally see Ozu on blu. I've never heard of The Organizer or ¡Alambrista! and don't much care about the Harold and Maude release, though I do realize it's HUGE news to VERY many other cinephiles. Pretty good month, I think.

• 1 month later...

Really?

Wow. I haven't run into that before.

The film has a small, but passionate following. I'm not necessarily one of the groupies, because I find the film, on the whole, only marginally satisfying, despite a great concept. But it has moments that do more for me than anything from the rest of Fincher's filmography.

It is not my favorite Fincher film...but I did enjoy it. And I am pretty sure it is the only Fincher film that only has had a barebones DVD release and never received the special edition treatment.

But frankly, Criterion will never have my full respect until they release a Criterion edition of Howard the Duck.

Edited by Nezpop

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

• 2 months later...

Any guesses?

wacky_rosemary.jpg

Is this supposed to be a reference to Rosemary's Baby?

That's what I was thinking.

Plus I noticed spine number 666 is approaching fast... might be an appropriate little joke.