Sign in to follow this  
Clint M

Upcoming Criterion Releases

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING! They're completing their pre-Moonrise Wes Anderson collection, and therefore finally releasing an animated film! This is so exciting. Who knows what doors might be open now?

I'm raising an eyebrow at this--especially since this seems to be a bare-bones version with a "special edition" to follow at a later date. Just, why? The film has just been released, in the US at least. What's the hurry? Why not wait and release it when they're fully ready, as they've always done before (haven't they)?

I haven't been paying enough attention to Criterion. I can't wait to pick up TESS.

You know what this means, don't you? The Tenant is sure to follow.luxhello.gif

Folks, if you love the Criterion Collection and believe in what they do, it's imperative that you support them as much as you're able, or else there won't be a Criterion Collection soon. Word has been circulating that their profit margins are shrinking, which shouldn't really come as a surprise if you've been paying attention to how home entertainment has been trending lately. Christian, didn't one of your friends sell you all his Criterion titles because he figured he could watch them all on Hulu?

Heavy times, friends.

Christian, didn't one of your friends sell you all his Criterion titles because he figured he could watch them all on Hulu?

Yes, that was my brother, Kent, who handed off to me, as a birthday present last week, literally his entire collection of Criterion DVDs. He said he could now watch them all on Hulu Plus. When I pressed about whether the titles might be pulled from the streaming service, he said if that came to pass, he would just borrow the DVDs from me whenever he wanted to watch them again.

He also said plans were underway to stream the Criterion extras on Hulu Plus. I don't know how/whether or not Criterion already does that on other platforms.

Edited by Christian

Folks, if you love the Criterion Collection and believe in what they do, it's imperative that you support them as much as you're able, or else there won't be a Criterion Collection soon. Word has been circulating that their profit margins are shrinking, which shouldn't really come as a surprise if you've been paying attention to how home entertainment has been trending lately.

I've long suspected this might be the case, and it's the reason I don't feel good about the fact that I purchase Criterion disks almost exclusively during the 50% off sales.

Not sure if this is the proper thread.  But anyhow.

Criterion is having a Flash Sale.  50% off.

Folks, if you love the Criterion Collection and believe in what they do, it's imperative that you support them as much as you're able, or else there won't be a Criterion Collection soon. Word has been circulating that their profit margins are shrinking, which shouldn't really come as a surprise if you've been paying attention to how home entertainment has been trending lately.

I've long suspected this might be the case, and it's the reason I don't feel good about the fact that I purchase Criterion disks almost exclusively during the 50% off sales.

Are their 50% off sales sponsored in any way? Or is it just something they keep doing out of the goodness of their hearts?

I feel somewhat guilty as well, but I can't not take advantage. Although, in order to get my hands on Breaking the Waves and Persona as soon as possible I'll probably just go ahead and preorder.

Edited by Jeremy Ratzlaff

Like Someone in Love, which Criterion originally listed as a 2013 film, is now listed as their first 2012 film, in agreement with IMDb. I'm still hoping that the 2003 and 2005 gaps will eventually be filled as well.

Criterion posted a FAQ about the Hulu partnership on their Facebook page.

Allow me to hijack this thread and point to a recent column (scroll down to the second column on the page) I wrote for the magazine I edit. The brief column touches on DVDs and Hulu. 

Warning: There is mention of laserdiscs.

Double Warning: My hairline continues to recede.

I hope the column makes you smile.

Oh, and if anyone has any ideas for my next column, I could really use your help. It was due a couple of weeks ago!

Scanners

The Big Chill

Insomnia

Pickpocket

and

The Essential Jacques Demy.

That's the list of upcoming Criterion releases for July 2014.

And, in case you missed it, May and June bring (or bring back) some fantastic titles to the collection as well, including Picnic at Hanging Rock!

Edited by Overstreet

The cover for Scanners is pretty great!

The Big Chill

I'll admit, I'm still having trouble believing this.

The Essential Jacques Demy.

Took them long enough, but at least they're knocking a lot out of the way.

I'm little disappointed the new edition of The Innocents won't contain Clayton's masterly short film, The Bespoke Overcoat. But still, The Innocents on Blu-ray.

As Overstreet would say: "Wow."

Also, it seems that the releases announced this month, coming out in November, are the first ones to be released in Blu-ray/DVD "dual editions" instead of individual Blu-ray and DVD editions. What do we make of this? Could it be a preliminary to phasing out DVD entirely?

Now they're going back to releasing Blu-ray and DVD editions separately.

Edited by Rushmore

Rushmore wrote:
: Now they're going back to releasing Blu-ray and DVD editions separately.

I can *almost* understand the sad, strange little people who believe in buying Criterion editions of films on DVD but *don't* believe in future-proofing their collections (by including the Blu-Rays in the DVD packages for a few extra bucks), but who *are* these sad, strange little people who can't handle having a DVD copy of the Blu-Ray they just bought (for use in the car or the laptop or whatever)?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Yeah, I like combined DVD/Blu-ray releases too. In the case of something like the Zatoichi box set, though, where someone who only wanted one edition would be getting 12 or 13 discs they didn't need, I can understand the reasoning.