Upcoming Criterion Releases

Clint M

My Darling Clementine

I don't watch enough Blu-rays to be able to offer informed comparisons, but I know that this Blu-ray is stunning on its own. There's so much about this film that I'd forgotten, and, having just concluded my first viewing of the Blu-ray, I can't wait to dive into some of the supplements. I'll probably watch this again soon with ... well, with someone. I need an excuse to share it with others!

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The consensus on the two suns and one moon seems to be split between Linklater's Before trilogy and Two Days, One Night. I think the guy with the crown fishing refers to The Fisher King. The rose looks just like Disney's Beauty and the Beast, but I can't imagine Disney would give Criterion the rights to any of their films.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so sure of du Garbandier's guess that I'm putting up my 1999 Image DVD for sale this very hour.

The gamble paid off--it's really happening! Now, if Criterion would only do Outcast of the Islands, my Carol Reed collection will be satisfied.

Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

I think the guy with the crown fishing refers to The Fisher King

Whoa.

If THE NEW WORLD and THE FISHER KING are both correct guesses, then my #1 and #2 Criterion wishes will come true.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 1 month later...

Woooooooooooo hooooo! FINALLY. 

And I just stumbled onto this intriguing page on blu-ray.com. Perhaps a sign of what's coming later in the summer? 

Also... this.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

• 3 weeks later...

The Black Stallion, Moonrise Kingdom, My Beautiful Laundrette, and Hiroshima Mon Amour in July!

(And something called Here is Your Life, which I don't recognize.)

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

• 1 month later...

Moonrise Kingdom has been pushed back to September, but the August releases include Two Days, One Night, Day for Night, and Dressed to Kill.

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

I'm ecstatic about Dressed to Kill.

Whereas I was thinking -- as I do about most new Criterion announcements -- isn't that already part of the collection? Is this Blu-ray only? Aww, heck with it, I'll just watch my (not-Criterion) laserdisc.

But I do plan to buy that Blowout Blu-ray someday, and this one will likely follow. Someday.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I'm ecstatic about Dressed to Kill.

Whereas I was thinking -- as I do about most new Criterion announcements -- isn't that already part of the collection? Is this Blu-ray only?

Criterion hasn't abandoned DVD (and probably isn't going to). All their new releases are available in both DVD and Blu-ray.

I took the question to mean: "Is this a Blu-Ray only re-issue of a title that's already on DVD?"

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 weeks later...

... and Bruce Beresford enters the canon. 

The question on everyone's mind: Will Driving Miss Daisy make it? 

Twitter     Letterboxd

Rushmore wrote:
: A lesser-known Kieslowski . . .

The moment you wrote that, I had a pretty good idea which film you were referring to. I would say this is easily Kieslowski's best-known film pre-Dekalog. It's one I know *I* referenced quite a bit during that period when films like Run Lola Run, Sliding Doors, Me Myself I and Frequency were exploring the whole there-but-for-the-grace-of-God multiple-timelines thing.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

I can hardly believe it.

A couple of years ago, I had a short list of Most Wanted Titles from Criterion. And they've since taken on all of them --  WATERSHIP DOWN, THE FISHER KING, THE BLACK STALLION, MULHOLLAND DRIVE.-- with two exceptions: that mysterious final cut of THE NEW WORLD and Haneke's CODE UNKNOWN.

Well... there's only one of those titles left on my wish-list.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.