Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

NFL Begins

being from philadelphia, i am trying to become an eagles fan. The problem is, I grew up a seahawks fan, and even though I don't like Seattle now, it's been hard to become a fan of another team. I like the eagles players but I've always found the fans to be annoying and obnoxious and dumb. I find myself wanting the eagles to lose so the fans can be miserable.

anyway, week 1. eagles had to be the most impressive no? Now that Donovan has a #1 WR, we will finally see what he is capable of.

Superbowl pick: eagles

underrated: bengals

overrated: packers

surprise player of the year, lee suggs.

any other predictions or rants?

This year the Seattle Seahawks are going to boiagknaksdk sjdglka klsjg sa;kl

aal;ksjdgggssa;lssadjg;lkjg aoibouujjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

[falls asleep, head on keyboard]

C'mon, admit it: The Redskins have a good team this year.

Good enough to beat the Eagles? I don't know about that, but I'm hopeful.

As for your prediction that the Eagles will go to the Super Bowl: Haven't you been paying attention the past few years? If so, you'd know that the Eagles might make it to the NFC Championship game, but no further. tongue.gif

Anyone want to give a preplexed Brit a quick rundown of who might be worth looking for in the headlines this year? I've started to develop a very casual interest in the Superbowl (thanks to Ben once making me watch it into the wee small hours. It becomes an addiction!) and would like to be slightly more informed this time around!

Phil.

I would like to say the 49ers will go all the way...But we all know thats not happening. I wouldnt be surprised actually to see New England back in the Super Bowl.

I would prob have to go with Eagles and i totally agree that the Packers are overrated.

As long as Mcnabb stays healthy i think they have agreat shot. Him and TO.

I have trouble following NFL tho living in Canada. Haha i just read up on this stiuff through NFL.com and team websites.

Keep this thread alive so i can keep up to date with NFL lol laugh.gif

Chow Guys.

Anyone want to give a preplexed Brit a quick rundown of who might be worth looking for in the headlines this year?

Ha! You can expect next to nothing from the papers over here in terms of coverage of games. They'll always squeeze the scores into the small print along with the baseball and polo matches, but apart from that we can expect articles written by journos who are clearly scared to show to the British audience that they actually might like or even know something about the game, and instead go for that cute kind of British oh-I-don't-know-that-much-really-isn't-it-a-funny-world-this-american-football-lark angle. Quite detached stuff. Having said that, the Observer pullout did have an interesting few pages on Eli Manning recently. And you can always expect a page or two on the Superbowl, the tone of the coverage depending very much on how tense or dramatic the game ends up being. If it's tense, the Superbowl is presented as a reflection of America first, football game second. So, the two recent Patriots wins definitely come in this fawning category, whereas Tampa Bay over Oakland didn't really give much fuel for analysis.

w00t.gifw00t.gif GO PATRIOTS! w00t.gifw00t.gif

thanks to Ben once making me watch it into the wee small hours. It becomes an addiction!

And you're not the only one I have spread the bug to...mwahaha!

overrated: packers

ok, maybe i was wrong. packers looked really good last night. i thought carolina would win that game.

Spoon:

anyway, week 1. eagles had to be the most impressive no? Now that Donovan has a #1 WR, we will finally see what he is capable of.

Actually, the big surprise for me was Westbrook's first 100+ rushing yards. First time he's ever done that. I think he's a fine HB, but I'm not sure that he's great. Hopefully, he'll keep up that 7.0 rushing average...

Go Eagles!

cool.gif

OK, first a primer for the Brits. I'd recommend scanning various big city American newspapers (not the New York Times, sports is beneath them and they devote as little as possible space) like the Boston Globe, NY Daily News, Detroit News & Detroit Free Press, Washington's Post and Times. LA Times might be interesting, no team, big paper, for that sketch of the league sort of thing. ESPN.com has info up the wazoo, so to speak. I haven't checked TheSportingnews.com, but the magazine itself gives great capsule reporting of all teams in all major American sports except Hockey let_it_all_out.gif

HOW 'BOUT THOSE LIONS!!!!! One down, fifteen to go (or 20 to go if Dre' Bly and Charles Rogers come to mind). Seriously, they looked awful on offense until they absolutely had to get into the endzone to win late in the game. But at least the road losing streak is over (record tying 24 straight). We'd a lost that game last year. If Hakim and Alexander can hang on to a pass, Joey Sunshine might have some targets this year.

I was surprised that the Packers won. I thought fa sure they were going to lose.

There was some good action this first week.

The catch in the Lions game...Cant remember who it was.

But that one handed juggleing catch was amazing.

The catch in the Lions game...Cant remember who it was.

But that one handed juggleing catch was amazing.

Rookie Roy Williams, one of our first round picks. He had the droppsies in pre-season. I for one, am happy to see him stepping up like that after Rogers went down (out indefinitely for shoulder surgery). We of course were hoping th two of them would torment defenses together, though.

OK now, bring on the Iggles! The Kitties actually have a running game! Fine job yesterday and we are two and oh for the first time in four years. And the Iggles don't have a run defense? Cool.

OK now, bring on the Iggles! The Kitties actually have a running game! Fine job yesterday and we are two and oh for the first time in four years. And the Iggles don't have a run defense? Cool.

heehee. heeheehee.

heehee. heeheehee.

HEY! It'd be nice if Rush were to denigrate Herrington's abilities and contribution. We could use the boost. Remember though. You guys shellacked us without Dre' Bly, Cash, and Charles Rogers. Somebody calling WDFN today described OLineman Stockar MacDougle a "revolving door for Jevon Kearse". Herrington has not been harrassed like that in some time. Excuses all, I know, but the Kitties won 10 games in three years. We'll get there.

HOW 'BOUT MY LIONS! They NAILED poor Vick's A**! Excellent performance by the defense with rookie standouts. Offense didn't blow it despite losing Roy Williams now, in addition to Rogers. Herrington actually out played Vick.

I was a fan of the Seahawks beginning in the year when Dave Kreig kind of replaced Jim Zorn. I moved to Germany a few years later, and never really became re-acacquainted with the team. I guess I am too much of a fair-weather fan, and we all know about the weather in Seattle...In any case, it seems there is a spark of hope at the beginning of each season, they start out winning their first three or something, then by the end of the season..."I coulda been a contender..."