Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Silence (2016)

173 posts in this topic

A good reminder to rewatch Masahiro Shinoda's 1971 film version again - when I first saw it a few years ago, I remember being quite impressed with it. From the handful of Scorsese films I've watched over the years, I find him interesting but uneven, so I'm warily curious and a bit hopeful.

Do you have the region 2 DVD? I haven't found a US DVD anywhere.

A good reminder to rewatch Masahiro Shinoda's 1971 film version again - when I first saw it a few years ago, I remember being quite impressed with it. From the handful of Scorsese films I've watched over the years, I find him interesting but uneven, so I'm warily curious and a bit hopeful.

Do you have the region 2 DVD? I haven't found a US DVD anywhere.

Yep, it's the Masters of Cinema edition, with a very good intro by a former participant here, Doug C. To judge by a recent Film Comment article, Shinoda's directing career has been rather hit or miss, but I found Silence and Double Suicide to be powerful successes. Honestly, Double Suicide made a deeper impression on me, even though Endo's writing fascinates me (and IIRC, he cowrote the screenplay for Shinoda's film).

Sure they're a great band, but are you sure you want anyone associated with the Spiderman Musical attached to a project that's already had this much production trouble?

I was being sarcastic. I think it would be a terrible idea.

This chapter of U2's career is a low point, in my opinion. They need to rediscover how to be a rock band, stop dreaming up collaborations that will give them illusions of chart-topping hits, and take a break from all of the extracurricular activity. Or they need to go on hiatus for a couple of years, and stop coasting on fumes, assuming that "God will walk through the room" when they all turn on their instruments.

Edited by Overstreet

My favorite book ever. I don't care how long I have to wait, as long as we get it eventually.

Hey, mine too!

Where's the "like" button on this dern forum?!

Have you read A Life of Jesus? Or Final Martyrs? Or Deep River? Or anything else? ;)

My favorite book ever. I don't care how long I have to wait, as long as we get it eventually.

Hey, mine too!

Where's the "like" button on this dern forum?!

Have you read A Life of Jesus? Or Final Martyrs? Or Deep River? Or anything else? ;)

I've read The Sea and Poison, The Samurai, Scandal, and I've started Life of Jesus a few times, but never finished it.

And while we're on the subject, Philip Yancey wrote about Endo and Silence here.

Edited by Tyler

And while we're on the subject, Philip Yancey wrote about Endo and Silence here.

It was Yancey's chapter on Endo in his book Soul Survivor that drove me to read Silence itself. It's such a beautiful companion piece.

In spite of his connection to The Snowman, Scorsese is saying Silence is probably his next movie:

I’m hoping to do Endo’s book next, Silence… Not hoping, we’re literally pulling all the elements together at this point. Also excited to do another HBO series on the Rock and Roll business in the 60s, 70s up to the 90s and that’s with Mick Jagger and Terry Winter.
Edited by NBooth

How 'Hugo's' Massive Losses Are Straining Producer Graham King's Partnerships

King, 50, has been a producer on Scorsese films for a decade, but a source connected to both men says that in the wake of Hugo, “Graham feels unappreciated, and Marty believes that he should not have any budget issues and should not have to be grateful to anybody.” This well-placed source says the strain explains why Scorsese is not moving forward — as he said he would in December — on Silence, his adaptation of Shusaku Endo’s novel about two Jesuit priests in 17th century Japan. King owns the rights. Instead, Scorsese next will direct Red Granite’s Wolf of Wall Street, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Asked about the relationship, Scorsese said in a statement to THR: “Since the late ’90s, I’ve had a great working relationship with Graham. I’m very proud of the films we’ve worked on together, including Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed and Hugo. I look forward to working with him again in the future, and I’ll always consider him a friend.”

Says GK’s spokesperson: “King continues to enjoy collaborating with Scorsese. Scorsese is currently focused on Wolf of Wall Street. When he completes that project, King will regroup with him to try to get together.” . . .

Hollywood Reporter, April 25

Martin Scorsese Project Triggers New $20 Million Lawsuit (Exclusive)

The lawsuit from New York lawyer Aaron Richard Golub is a complicated, decade-spanning one that deals with conflicts, duties and representations made in Hollywood. It also marks the latest twist in an old battle between two Italian cinema giants -- Nunnari and Vittorio Cecchi Gori -- as well as the latest development in an ongoing battle over Silence, which Scorsese agreed to direct but has languished in development for more than two decades. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, February 15

Maybe Terry Gilliam should direct it.

Interesting stuff at Awards Daily:

DEADLINE: You’ve tried to adapt the Shusaku Endo novel Silence, about 17th century Jesuits who risk their lives to bring Christianity to Japan. It isn’t commercial, it has been hard to finance, but it looks like you’ll finally get your chance to make it. Why has it been so important to you?

SCORSESE: My initial interests in life were very strongly formed by what I took seriously at that time, and 45-50 years ago I was steeped in the Roman Catholic religion. As you get older, ideas go and come. Questions, answers, loss of the answer again and more questions, and this is what really interests me. Yes, the Cinema and the people in my life and my family are most important, but ultimately as you get older, there’s got to be more. Much, much more. The very nature of secularism right now is really fascinating to me, but at the same time do you wipe away what could be more enriching in your life, which is an appreciation or some sort of search for that which is spiritual and transcends? That’s one of the reasons why I made the George Harrison documentary. Silence is just something that I’m drawn to in that way. It’s been an obsession, it has to be done and now is the time to do it. It’s a strong, wonderful true story, a thriller in a way, but it deals with those questions.

DEADLINE: Are the questions you’re asking here similar to the questions that drew you to Last Temptation of Christ?

SCORSESE: Yes, but this is a different line of questioning.

DEADLINE: We Catholics are always struggling for answers.

SCORSESE: There are no answers. We all know that. You try to live in the grace that you can. But there are no answers, but the point is, you keep looking. Because people tell you science tells us everything. Science doesn’t! They just have discovered these Neutrinos that go faster than the speed of light. And there is this idea that once we got to a point in the mid-20th century and now the 21st century where everything is known in a sense, right? Well, we don’t! We don’t really know everything. I mean, yes, we don’t know what happened in the Big Bang, but we understand the idea of progress. But have we really progressed? We’ve progressed on the outside, but what about inside? What about the soul and the heart? Without trying to sound pompous and ridiculous, I can tell you this is where my interest is.

you beat me to it Jeff, I was just about to post it.

I like Garfield, hope he can carry this.

So how is it that the British actor Andrew Garfield keeps playing these people of Portuguese descent? First Eduardo Saverin, the Brazilian co-founder of Facebook in The Social Network, and now this!

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Well... THIS is promising.

post-19-0-34294200-1385482265_thumb.png

Exclusive: Scorsese Adding Adam Driver to Next Film “Silence”

Exclusive: Adam Driver is the newest cast member of Martin Scorsese’s “Silence.” He’s joining Andrew Garfield and Ken Watanabe in the Japanese thriller set in the 17th century. Scorsese told me last night at HBO’s annual star-a-thon post- Globes party that shooting will commence next summer. First, of course, Scorsese has to finish up a winter of Oscar promotion for ‘The Wolf of Wall Street,” which has turned into a gigantic hit at the box office.

Driver, of course, is the breakout star of HBO’s “Girls,” which had its season premiere last night. He will also be a big deal later this year in “Tracks,” with Mia Wasikowska, The John Curran-directed romance/ adventure is — I know this is early, but true– on tracks for the 2015 Oscars. It’s a wonderful film. . . .

Roger Friedman, January 13

- - -

Driver is also the guy saying "Outer? Space!" in this clip from Inside Llewyn Davis:

Whoa.

EXCLUSIVE: Liam Neeson will star with Andrew Garfield and Ken Watanabe inSilence, the Martin Scorsese-directed adaptation of the Shusaku Endo’s novel about 17th century Jesuits who to try bring Christianity to isolated Japan. 

Edited by Overstreet

Whoa.

EXCLUSIVE: Liam Neeson will star with Andrew Garfield and Ken Watanabe in Silence, the Martin Scorsese-directed adaptation of the Shusaku Endo’s novel about 17th century Jesuits who to try bring Christianity to isolated Japan. 

This balances out the Jesse Eisenberg-as-Lex Luthor casting news.

Assuming an actual Portuguese actor was never a real possibility, this is about as good as they could have done.

So, Neeson will probably play Ferreira, and Garfield will likely be Rodrigues, which means Adam Driver is going to play Garrpe. Would Watanabe play Kichijiro?

Seems relevant here: