Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Silence (2016)

174 posts in this topic

Looking at his IMDb page, he's moving from Wolf of Wall Street to a Bill Clinton documentary to Silence (with a couple of other projects in between).  I'm exhausted and suffering from mental whiplash just contemplating that.  I hope I'm as indefatigable and versatile at age 71.

I just started reading the book. So far I am loving it. Which makes me a bit worried for the film. I'm not sure Scorsese is the right director or not. He has the background, personally and professionally, but his recent films IMHO lack the subtlety and mystery I would think necessary to turn this book into a film.

Editor Thelma Schoonmaker:

Next up for the duo is Silence, a passion project adapted from the Shusaku Endo novel about 17th century Jesuits who risk their lives to bring Christianity to Japan. The helmer has been trying to get it off the ground for a decade. Schoonmaker is “so excited” for what she says is going to be “a little art film” and very low budget. “We’re all taking a big cut to work on it,” she told me. Later, speaking to the Venice press corps, she added, it’s “so different from Wolf Of Wall Street, you can’t imagine.” On every movie, Scorsese “sets himself a new challenge and wants to change. He doesn’t want to repeat himself” even though “everybody would like us to make Goodfellas over and over and over again.”

Silence will shoot in Taiwan rather than Japan where the story is set. Schoonmaker says that decision came based on conversations Scorsese had with Ang Lee when they were making the rounds of various 3D panels during promotion for Hugo and Life Of Pi. “Ang said, ‘You should go to Taiwan, they’re very efficient and they’ll welcome you.’ So that’s where we’re going,” Schoonmaker explained.

She will “start cutting as soon as they start shooting. When Marty is finished he comes in and works very intensely with me,” she told me. She also told reporters, “Everyone always wants to know who has the upper hand. But it’s not that simple. We collaborate so beautifully together because we’ve worked together for so long. We’re like one mind.” The director remains very open to suggestions, however. “With digital editing, I now can make many, many versions of a scene. So when he comes in, I always show him the way I think he would have wanted it. He deserves that, he’s been thinking of and dreaming of the film for much longer than I have. And then if I feel he needs a different approach, I show him three or four different versions of the scene and he will always be open to a better idea, and that’s wonderful.”

Yikes. Scorsese has been trying to get this film made for decades, and now, only a few days before shooting was going to start, someone dies on the set.

Oh, that book's out now? One of the editors edited a book on The Last Temptation of Christ that I contributed to, and he's been talking about the Silence book for a while.

The Film Stage has images. Not particularly high-quality, but still.

There is a higher-quality pic from Entertainment Weekly, though.

silence-620x413.png

Edited by NBooth

Whoa. So Garfield is Rodrigues. That makes much, much more sense than Neeson. 

Edited by Overstreet

Not directly, connected, but. NPR: Driven Underground Years Ago, Japan's 'Hidden Christians' Maintain Faith

On a recent trip to Ikitsuki Island in southern Nagasaki prefecture, one of the few places where the "hidden Christian" traditions hang on, I met a 53-year-old resident named Masahi Funabara. Sitting in the government office where he works, he sang for me in a soft voice the sacred songs taught to his ancestors by the missionaries.

Some of the songs are in Latin, and Funabara struggles a bit to remember them. Shigeo Nakazono, a local museum curator and expert on Christianity, helps him sing.

Nakazono says that while much of the teachings of the missionaries have been lost, the Japanese Christians have preserved the songs in a form quite close to what one might have heard in 16th-century Spain.

Variety

Liam Neeson dropped by the Los Cabos Film Festival Saturday to share his excitement over Martin Scorsese’s long-in-the-works historical drama “Silence,” which is finally nearing the finish line.

“Martin requires a lot of commitment,” Neeson said at the Las Ventanas Hotel press conference, explaining that he dropped 20 pounds off his already-lean frame to play a Jesuit missionary, while co-star Adam Driver became extremely gaunt and Garfield is already “a piece of wire.”

Scorsese “gives 200%,” said Neeson. “All he requires is that you give 100%.” “He’s intimidating,” Neeson explained. “He requires absolute silence on the set — if he hears one tiny sound, it shatters it for him.”

5g2a7980.jpg

The website Wonderwall has an article about Liam Neeson "looking incredibly gaunt...." Apparently "many within the media and Hollywood" were disturbed by the images.

Yeah, right.

"However, Liam finally addressed those images, saying that he is fine and that his thin appearance (seen here) was for a movie role in Martin Scorsese's film 'Science.' Liam lost 20 pounds for the role as Father Cristóvão Ferreira. The movie tells the tale of two Jesuit Portuguese priests who take a quest to Japan to spread the word of Christianity."

I think I cannot wait to "take a quest" myself to go see this movie called "Science."

Just finished my second reading of the novel, about ten years (or a little less) after I first read it. My memory being what it is, of course the book is better than I remember it (and I think I'll go ahead and pull the other two Endo novels off my shelf for a summer read), but I'm suddenly just a little worried about the movie. Not that I don't think it'll be fine, but with Scorsese's persistent drive to make his movies about thirty minutes longer than they need to be, I'm concerned that the result--considering how tight the novel is--will be bloated.

After reading the novel in January, I became pretty convinced that the movie will be a noble failure. I'm not too worried about pacing - Scorsese can do tight, although he hasn't done so in close to two decades so maybe that is a concern - but as talented as he is, I don't know if he will be able to fully develop all the spiritual themes and conflicts of emotion that plague Rodrigues. While Scorsese does make skillful use of voiceovers, Rodrigues' internal monologues and conflicts are integrated into the story in a such a way that I doubt mere voiceovers will do them justice, so I worry the balance the novel walks between faith and skepticism in the face of the silence of God will get short-shrifted.

On 5/20/2016 at 8:23 PM, NBooth said:

[W]ith Scorsese's persistent drive to make his movies about thirty minutes longer than they need to be, I'm concerned that the result--considering how tight the novel is--will be bloated.

Nothing definitive yet, but a friend just posted this on my FB wall and it's looking like the movie will be about three hours long.

Well, he certainly won't have to cut anything from the book if that's the case, but honestly, I'd say 2hr 20-30 minutes would be the ideal running time for this story.

Um... The Playlist says that Kris Tapley tweeted that the film will be 195 minutes.

I don't see that.

I see Kris Tapley asking if anybody has a guess about how long the film is right now.

And somebody guess 195 minutes.

So, that looks like really sloppy reporting on The Playlist's part.

Tapley's response to that guess is included in the article:

Edited by NBooth

Like the 3 hr, 30 min cut of Gangs of New York and the 4 hr cut of Wolf of Wall Street, that version will become the stuff of legend.

It won't be what makes it to theaters.

Huh. Okay, never mind.

On 8/19/2016 at 11:57 PM, Evan C said:

Well, he certainly won't have to cut anything from the book if that's the case, but honestly, I'd say 2hr 20-30 minutes would be the ideal running time for this story.

Current cut is 2hr 39min. Looks like someone agrees with you.