Lost

Spoon

I thought this same thing.

I was at another Lost website where they had clips of the newspaper (trying to figure out who was in the coffin - hint: its a man whose first name starts with a "J") and the date of the newspaper was from early May of this year.

James? John? Thought the coffin was a little small for an adult, but it could have been the angle.

Depending on the length of the flashbacks/forwards, you could still spend the majority of airtime on the island. I am very grateful that we didn't find Jack in the present, delusional, and all these characters mere representations of his fractured personality like that dreadful movie with John Cusack.

The question becomes one of conflict--how will a flashback to the island, or flashforward to the present, help in telling the story of the conflict between the survivors and the Others, the Others and Dharma/Widmore, and the individuals with their own failings, and the Island vs. everyone? Seasons 2 and 3 seems to have covered only a few days, a month at most. Can this story unfold over a few more weeks? There's plenty of story left to tell--if the writers, now with a definitive endpoint in mind, can present it with the same caliber with which they've done over the last 12 weeks or so, then it will be an enjoyable and exciting ride.

One plea: no more new incidental characters, like Nikki and Paulo.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this same thing.

I was at another Lost website where they had clips of the newspaper (trying to figure out who was in the coffin - hint: its a man whose first name starts with a "J") and the date of the newspaper was from early May of this year.

James? John? Thought the coffin was a little small for an adult, but it could have been the angle.

Jin? There's also Jacob, although it isn't clear if he is an actual person yet. It's hard to know, especially since a lot of time has passed and we don't know how the characters will feel towards each other (e.g., who would Kate be sneaking away from in the middle of the night and whose funeral wouldn't she want to go to). Both Sawyer and Locke don't have any family so it make sense that nobody showed up to the funeral. Jack might show up to Locke's funeral, especially if he is feeling guilty about not listening to him. Another thought I had is that the person in the coffin wasn't the first person to die - that Ben was right about people dying - except the people that Jack called on the radio don't kill them, but instead they all die after they get off the island.

Anyway, one of the themes that has been running throughout the show has been the idea of fate/destiny and being able to change the future. There doesn't seem to be any way for Desmond to change his visions, but at the same time we have Locke saying "it wasn't supposed to happen this way.' Showing flash forwards may be a nice way for the writers to play around with that theme.

Anyway, one of the themes that has been running throughout the show has been the idea of fate/destiny and being able to change the future. There doesn't seem to be any way for Desmond to change his visions, but at the same time we have Locke saying "it wasn't supposed to happen this way.' Showing flash forwards may be a nice way for the writers to play around with that theme.

Except that Desmond HAS changed his vision every time until this last time. It's just that the same end kept popping up in each new vision.

Although I thought Charlie's heroism was a good way for him to go out, am I the only one that thought there was a good mix of stupidity mixed in with that heroism? Him knocking out Desmond on the boat = heroic. Him slamming the door shut on himself instead of running *out* the door and *then* shutting it = stupid. IMO.

The biggest frustration I'm sure I'll have if they continue doing flash forwards is that it limits to a greater and greater degree what can happen in the "present" on the island, unless they start really playing with the idea of changing the future, etc. For instance, now they can never put either

Jack or Kate

in a position where we think they might die, because we know that they won't. Maybe we could assume that much already, but the more that's revealed about the future, the more possibilities that get taken off the table for the present.

Anyway, I personally don't think the flash forward is going to be anything other than an abberation. I think next season will pretty much pick up right where they left off this one, though they may feel free to occasionally flash forward instead of backward now. The same way the end of S2 jumped off the island for the first time in the "present" and we all wondered whether or not that would be a staple of S3, and of course it never was. Just MO of course.

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

Except that Desmond HAS changed his vision every time until this last time. It's just that the same end kept popping up in each new vision.

Although I thought Charlie's heroism was a good way for him to go out, am I the only one that thought there was a good mix of stupidity mixed in with that heroism? Him knocking out Desmond on the boat = heroic. Him slamming the door shut on himself instead of running *out* the door and *then* shutting it = stupid. IMO.

The biggest frustration I'm sure I'll have if they continue doing flash forwards is that it limits to a greater and greater degree what can happen in the "present" on the island, unless they start really playing with the idea of changing the future,

What stuck for me here was that Charlie had more faith in Desmond's visions than Desmond did. The tragedy will be if we learn that Desmond's prognostication is malleable in the final outcome (i.e., would there ever have been an occasion where Charlie gets through it with no more impending deaths).

I'd be curious to see, as mentioned below, a scenario wherein the island becomes the flashback and the mysterious experiences of the island have continued after rescue.

> Why, in the flash-forward, is Jack famous for being a hero, but not famous as the leader of the survivors of a plane crash, presumably rescued dramatically.
Jack did say to Kate that he was tired of living a lie, or something along those lines. The lie could be the story they told the public about their time on the island.

Must have been one heckuva lie, given that he's not living under an alias.

Couldn't he be a "hero" because of something he did that enabled them to get off the island? I assumed the guy was referring to the car crash, but once I realized it was a flash forward, I thought the guy could've been referring to something having to do with the island.

SPOILERS

I think they really, really blew it with the season finale. I want my two hours back.

Biggest blunders of the show's history, a la getting rid of Mr. Eko. All they did is reshuffle the deck and they did it artlessly and clumsily.

Are you serious?! I heartily concur Eko's exit was a blunder, but I think this was the best 82 minutes of Lost in a long time. I don't think the flashforward can count as a reshuffling of the deck--they've been setting up time shifts since the end of last season, and now they've tied in a major theme for Desmond with the overall thematic thrust of the narrative (i.e., is Jack's action at the radio tower a mistake? Can it be avoided? Will fate track down the castaway's like it tracked down Charlie?

One bright point: Juliette is now, in my mind, an incontrovertibly 'good' character.

OK, two: Jack finally squaring with Kate. Such children.

I was really ticked off that they killed Tom--and had Sawyer do it, which, in line with Jack's new attitude, makes the survivors now led by a bunch of murderous thugs. Oh, and Locke's also now a murderous thug and Ben's heir apparent it would seem. We already know about Kate. Why, again, should I care about these people?

So far the only moral of Lost seems to be dog-eat-dog. Great.

To me, all of this seems a logical progression for these characters, and for the storyline. Desmond's earlier flashback points to this--"you've killed more of them than they have of you". Sawyer's no killer, he says, but then he shows himself a killer twice over in the space of two or three days. I would say that I care about this people in a few ways--some are sympathetic characters, like Charlie ultimately--I'm rooting for him--well, was rooting for him. Some are fascinating character studies, like Locke. Some are deliciously creepy, like Ben. Some are like the blonde chicks in horror movies, the ones you shout at the screen at, like Jack. And the castaways are descending into fearful aggressive protectionism--they're turning from dentists into Rambos.

A few new intrigues:

> What was up with the Walt appearance? Are all these "ghosts" just Jacob in various guises?

> Who IS on the boat and why are Ben and Locke (and presumably Jacob) afraid of them?\

> Why, in the flash-forward, is Jack famous for being a hero, but not famous as the leader of the survivors of a plane crash, presumably rescued dramatically.

I think Jack is famous for the island rescue. Speculation, of course, since the script does not describe the act of heroism.

Couldn't he be a "hero" because of something he did that enabled them to get off the island? I assumed the guy was referring to the car crash, but once I realized it was a flash forward, I thought the guy could've been referring to something having to do with the island.

Somebody referred to Jack as a hero "twice over". I assume that means as savior to those on the island and as rescuer of those in the car crash.

Somebody referred to Jack as a hero "twice over". I assume that means as savior to those on the island and as rescuer of those in the car crash.

See Alan's post above - that's the way I took the "twice over" comment - at least on first blush. Of course, knowing by the end that it was a flash forward definitely opened up the possibility of him referring to the island...

47 pages on this thread. Wow. Sheesh. I wonder if I should even begin.

I have been thru the first DVD of the first season of Lost. What an amazing show. At 47 pages, I'm thinking it stays amazing.

I guess you know what I'll be renting this summer.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I have been thru the first DVD of the first season of Lost. What an amazing show. At 47 pages, I'm thinking it stays amazing.

-s.

47 pages? My browser says 15. But it stays good, with a few shoddy episodes in season 2, and with an ever-maddening "why the heck don't these people talk to each other!!!???" dynamic.

• 7 months later...

-s.

So, Stef, Season 4 starts tomorrow. Did you ever watch 1-3?

So, Stef, Season 4 starts tomorrow. Did you ever watch 1-3?

We (El Wifebo and I) made it half way thru Season 2 before I went back to school, and for quite a few months it was too hard to keep up. That's also why I was away from the board for a good long while. I've been doing school M-TH 6-11pm, and I had a job in the daytime. Lately that temp job is done, and I won't be working again until late March or early April, so I've had some time to post (which I love!)

Anyway, the goal is that this spring we will watch the first three seasons, which I believe are all out on DVD. And then I'll only be ONE SEASON BEHIND! :)

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

S.C. --thanks. I know the Wire only by rep.

Spoilers and stuff.

My wife initially commented that this ep did little to further the plot--I'm not convinced. In fact, I disagree, and thought a lot happened--esp. liked how Jack's savior ego watched his plans to fix everything fall apart by Locke's challenge. He's really going nuts, isn't he? And really, really willing to kill everyone who crosses him. His handing over Ben to Locke was a little out of character--I'm surprised in the same show he went from "the only one I trust with him is me" to "fine, Locke, he's your problem".

And Hurley? Did Jack really visit him, or was that another vision? And why is Hurley having visions off the island? Who's still alive? Nice bait and switch on the producer's part for the focus of the flashforward--though initially it was going to be all Jack, instead all Hurley.

That's all for now.

By the way, I found some folks who did screen caps and saw the the guy Hurley saw in the creepy cabin was pretty clearly

Jack's Father.

Yeah. My wife showed me some. Pretty weird.

:spoilers:

I thought it was a good first episode. I don't know if counts as moving the plot forward or not, but the episode sure wet my appetite for the rest of the season. For me, I'm really liking the flash forwards because it is opening the show once again. Most of my frustrations with season two and three is that I was losing the thrill of the mystery. Questions were being answered. Now, with the flash forwards are opening things up again with whole new set of questions: who is in the casket? Who are the other three "oceanic six"? Why does Hurley wish he went with Jack? What happened to make them wish they were back on the island? I have a feeling much of this season will have that flavor to it.

FWIW I think it is Ben's funeral that Jack visited. I don't think it was an "oceanic six". It sounds like they were too much of celebrities to have no one attend their funeral. Further, if it wasn't a person on Oceanic 815, it leads me to believe it was somebody who was previously on the island, somebody with no family. In that case it could be either Ben or Juliette if something happens to her sister.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

:spoilers:

Fascinating ep for me. Liked the concision of the flashbacks to quickly sketch out the new characters and tie them with Abaddon. Missed the physicist/wimpy guy from Saving Private Ryan's flashback though.

And how about the addition of Charlotte Staples Lewis to the mix? And Ben in a suit? Loved the explanation for John's survival of the gunshot--that missing kidney...

Were there any flashbacks (from off-Island)? Or were they all flash-forwards?

I basically interpretted the show to have moved its central perspective so that all the present-day Island stuff could be considered flashbacks with the realy action increasingly taking place in the future. I'm guessing the the final climax with involve a return to the Island in some shape or form, coinciding with flashbacks to when they left the Island.

Definitely flashbacks, similar in nature to Season Two's Tailies episode. Five separate flashbacks, leading up the present day action on the island.