Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

The big question I had after episode 2 ( spoilers1.gif for those who are going to be watching the 2 hour version):

The looping message in French. The real question for me isn't is there someone else there, but what kind of power supply is running the transciever sending out the message all these years?

Wow. Just caught episode 2 in the two-hour pilot re-run.

Wow.

Darrell, the twin to the big question is - how do you set up a distress call that counts iterations? Wouldn't that require a computer of some kind? And it's been running for over 16 years, so that's since 1988. Computers were not all that portable in 1988.

Just saying.

On the other stuff - yikes on the "Kate as Kriminal" reveal. Great tension built with Saied and Freak-Boy. Would you have brought BOTH siblings with you after their performance on the beach? And does anyone else think Kate looks better with her clothes on?

Oh.

Well, I guess I'm the only one then.

smile.gif

I'm not sure what to make of my reaction to episode 3. I hate to say it, but my interest dropped significantly during last nights episode, and I really can't pinpoint why. Perhaps it was Kate's back story, and the idea that now all the major players may have their own "pre-crash" story to tell, which for me detracts from the survival aspect of their current situation.

One thing to add. When the DVD of season one comes out, I want to see the crash edited together in its entirety. The effects people worked so hard at making that real, and last nights snippet of the back section of the plane falling away was spectacular.

I'm not sure what to make of my reaction to episode 3.  I hate to say it, but my interest dropped significantly during last nights episode, and I really can't pinpoint why.

Funny cause I was almost losing interest, until last nights episode, particularly the ending. The ending showed me the writers care about big ideas like forgiveness and being born again. It also showed me they care alot about character development. I love the complexity of some of the characters already.

I feel like we're rapidly losing touch with any sense of the reality of their situation. The whole episode was preoccupied with Kate's backstory, which is far from the most interesting character story. If they continue this strategy of slowly filling us in on all the back-stories, they'll lose their grip on the gravity of their situation.

Yes, the crash sequences are already old. And what could have been a powerful and spooky sequence, climbing back into the fuselage, turned into a forgettable clash between the doctor and the rebel.

Dad running from the monster was a bad B-movie cliche.

I did like the last scene, with the whistle.

This cast is just too fashion-plate-plastic. I don't believe in them at all.

Oh come on folks, you've watched abrams before. He has plains, valleys and peaks in the action and tension. LAst night was definately a more laid back episode. But like they say in acting, if you emphasize every word, you're just yelling.

Yes, but Alias grabbed me and didn't let me go until Season 3.

Lost hasn't grabbed me like that yet. It's sorta patted me on the back and coaxed me to somewhat reluctantly follow, for a distance, but now, when it's grappling for a hold, it's failing.

My TV and I wrestle a lot and I ususally win.

Here will be

spoilers1.gif

I think we'll be seeing more survival type action next week, and a bit more mystery as well, if the preview is any indication. Though I'm a bit confused, because I thought that was last week's preview.

I like getting to know the characters and their history, but I would rather the producers do it a different way. Or if there was a bit more balance between the backstories and the action, that might have helped. The flashback sequence is cool for the plane crash, but not for everything else. I was really quite bored with the Kate plot. I would prefer getting to know them through their current actions. Of course, I understand how it ties into the episode theme-starting over from scratch-but to me it was dull.

It also didn't help that Kate is not a very interesting character to me, and I was really hoping this backstory would show her in a more ambiguos (sp?) light. Instead, it was very cliche. So she's a dangerous criminal? Ah no, not really, because she gave up her freedom for the farmer's life, and not only that, but is concerned about his financial welfare, so really she's a good girl at heart. I'm sorry, but that's been done before, and in a much more interesting way than here.

I did like the final act. When the gunshot went off and Kate was outside the tent, I actually yelled at my TV, "COP-OUT!". He killed himself, what an easy solution. Then when Sawyer walked out of the tent holding the gun I thought oh...s* . Very well done, that part.

This cast is just too fashion-plate-plastic. I don't believe in them at all.

This is my biggest gripe with the show. I want to see some regular looking people, aside from Hurley, who's kind of a grotesquerie used as comic relief.

But I thought last week's episode was pretty darn involving ... a bit of a cop-out to have Kate be the compassionate fugitive; OTOH, we still don't know what her initial crime was, do we? There could be some deep dark shadow lurking beneath.

And c'mon, didn't anyone else get goosebumps from that final shot of Locke, watching over what seemed to be a happy shiny conclusion? I half-thought he was demonically possessed for a second. Very effective.

As a frequent air traveler, I can't say I'm anxious to see the whole crash re-enacted. The snippets they've shown so far keep me awake at night, thanks. unsure.gif

Oh, yeah ... even though the dad running from the monster (or whatever) might have seemed cliche, the climax was quite unexpected, i.e. him running into the bathing Korean woman. A lesser show would have had him stumble upon one of the babes, then had them rolling around in the sand for a few good hot and heavy scenes. It was such a quiet moment that revealed ( huh.gif ) a lot about the characters, and makes me want to know more about the Korean woman and her relationship with her seemingly domineering husband. That's been the strength of the show for me, planting some of those quietly revealing moments about the characters.

And c'mon, didn't anyone else get goosebumps from that final shot of Locke, watching over what seemed to be a happy shiny conclusion? I half-thought he was demonically possessed for a second. Very effective.

Ah yes, marvellous Terry O'Quinn... I'm liking the style that the final shot of the show focusses on the character who comes to the fore in the next episode. It could indeed get a little repetitive if that style were to be *all* the series offered but I think its already proved itself cleverer than that. The fact that this episode provided just as much a character point for Matthew Fox's character as it did to Evangeline Lilly's despite the pilot being, supposedly, *his* episode was a really nice bit of structuring.

But I do agree with those who've queried whether the show actually *knows* whats lurking in the jungle or whether it'll be making it up as it goes along. I'd like to think they've gone at it Buffy style but I have a nagging feeling, especially given what's been going on in Alias that it might be more X-Files style. But, heck, I'm certainly hooked enough to care!

Phil.

Edited by Shantih

Read the interview above with the producer, I think you'll conclude they know where its going.

Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz used to say that about The X-Files from around season three. It took them quite a few more years to admit that they'd really not been quite as thorough as they'd made out. But I am more hopeful for the creative team on Lost.

Phil.

Very interesting fact about Lost heroine Evangeline Lilly in this USA Today story:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-1...ine-lilly_x.htm

Apparently she was a missionary in the Philippines. Unfortunately the interview's pretty shallow, and doesn't get much past the "gee it's a good thing she became an actress instead because she's so beautiful" mentality. Does anyone know more about her background?

Meanwhile, USA Today's TV critic has this to say about tonight's episode:

"Who is this guy?"

That's the question posed in a terrific episode of Lost (ABC, tonight, 8 ET/PT) that also answers a far more pressing viewer question: Can this promising new series produce a regular episode that's as gripping and entertaining as the pilot? And the answer, I'm thrilled to say, is "yes."

Written by Angel's David Fury, tonight's cleverly structured hour focuses on the mysterious Locke, played with his signature blend of charm and menace by Terry O'Quinn. While Locke takes charge of a boar hunt, flashbacks unveil a string of increasingly surprising secrets. The final twist is a shock, but it's not a cheat. The clues are all there, if you look for them. This is simply a great hour of TV, and one that gives you every reason to expect more great hours ahead.

Oh, this will make the TWoP'ers go nuts. There's been all kinds of crazy speculation over there regarding this character. Much too fun. smile.gif

Edited by mpfan

Oh come on folks, you've watched abrams before.  He has plains, valleys and peaks in the action and tension. LAst night was definately a more laid back episode.  But like they say in acting, if you emphasize every word, you're just yelling.

spoilers1.gif (just to be on the safe side)

Well, I haven't watched any of Abrams previous work, but I will not doubt your word after tonights episode. Locke's story was much more involving for me than Kate's, and I had some flashbacks to Fearless and the idea that out of some tragedies, strange occurances (miracles) can happen. I'll be back for week 5.

Okay, NOW I'm hooked.

And you know the moment that hooked me. When the doc glanced off toward the shrubbery and saw....

well...

THAT certainly adds a whole new interesting layer to things.

I too thought of Fearless in the finale for this episode. Beautifully executed.

Once again, here will be

spoilers1.gif

This is how a flashback sequence should be done. I think part of the problem I had with the last episode is that I'm not convinced Evangeline Lilly can really act. She doesn't seem to show much emotion, so I don't care about her character. Terry O'Quinn, on the other hand, can act, making his backstory hold much more appeal to me. And his repeating mantra nearly broke my heart. Amen, friend.

Their reveal was nicely done, too. I nailed it the second he wiggled his toe, but I didn't feel like it was all that obvious. I'm thinking that if someone didn't guess the twist right away, then the other clues might not have been too obvious either.

Best. Episode. Ever. (sorry, Christian, had to do it)

O'Quinn is SO good .... he broke my heart and gave me chills all at once.

And that scene with the doctor and the woman whose husband was in the bathroom ... man, oh man, how well done was THAT?? Her comment, "They're probably thinking the same about us," then Jack's recurring vision of the guy in the suit ... wow. Wow.

Hi all:

Don't have anything specific to say. Just that this show has me very excited about a new TV show for the first time in years. smile.gif

It is soooo well-written and character-driven. The two biggies for me when it comes to TV.

I was ready to be turned off with all the heavy promo. It sounded like a totally plot-driven "Survivor" rip-off, the first fictional show to mimic reality TV, if you will.

Boy, was I wrong. And pleasantly so! smile.gif

Last year, it was Joan of Arcadia. This year, Lost. The networks are 2 for 2 in getting me interested in one new show per year. Joan's sophomore season has maintained its quality. Here's hoping Lost can continue its. (how's that for sentence construction?)

hrh

Welcome, hrh. Great to have a fellow New Englander and Lost fan on board. (Since you're a Sox fan, we'll understand if you're too depressed to post anything the next week or so sad.gif ; but I will happily eat my words if you believe hard enough and will them to the championship!)