Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

Young Ben was shot by a trained assassin, desperately treated by a skilled physician, yet was healed by the Island--with Richard's help, no less.

One of relatively few plot holes this season. So a trained assassin shoots someone from five yards and... misses?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Everyone rolls a 01 / 3 from time to time.

But Sayid didn't seem to have a problem with his aim in the last episode. Perhaps becuase he had a bigger target?

Okay... but, come on. It was a bit ridiculous, plus he had a lot of time to walk right up to Ben and follow up with a head shot. Not only would a trained assassin probably not miss, but once committed to a course of action, he would be thorough and walk right up to Ben with a head shot. (Nevermind that he could have walked right up to unsuspecting Boy Ben and shot him point blank.)

Not really, he hit Ben in a spot that was reasonable to expect death. He was also in a panic, trying to escape.

Personally, I love that grand moment of the end...

"I'm going to kill him." and Ben is stopped dead in his tracks. Until this season, you always got the sense that Ben had a plan. And that he would ultimately get his way. But Ben seems genuinely perplexed, like his plans keep unravelling before he gets them started.

It is priceless. And seeing Richard become nervous at Locke's new strength and demeanor is intriguing.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Everyone rolls a 01 / 3 from time to time.

But Sayid didn't seem to have a problem with his aim in the last episode. Perhaps becuase he had a bigger target?

Okay... but, come on. It was a bit ridiculous, plus he had a lot of time to walk right up to Ben and follow up with a head shot. Not only would a trained assassin probably not miss, but once committed to a course of action, he would be thorough and walk right up to Ben with a head shot. (Nevermind that he could have walked right up to unsuspecting Boy Ben and shot him point blank.)

I'd say that Sayid's state of mind at the moment was not conducive to being an effective assassin. Plus, I think that the Island wanted him alive.

Not to mention that shooting a kid at point-blank might be terrible, but actually standing over his fallen body and firing a shot into his head is probably not a line Sayid would willingly cross.

Everything that matters is invisible.

-- Robert Bresson

Not to mention that shooting a kid at point-blank might be terrible, but actually standing over his fallen body and firing a shot into his head is probably not a line Sayid would willingly cross.

Or at least the ABC censors.

Finale tonight. My predictions:

Juliet dies. Sawyer kills Jack. Others kill Hurley et al. Jack, Hurley, et al wake up in 2007. Locke finds them where he expects to find Jacob. The other Others attack. BONG: "Lost" Nine month wait.

Nice work Buckeye. You might have gotten one correct. Or not. Who knows really?

So, I'd say the finale was pure awesomeness at the beginning and end with a bit of "meh" thrown in between. I wasn't too enamoured with the blowing up the bomb storyline. The only thing that really kept me going in the middle was my constant screaming of "what's in the box? WHAT'S IN THE BOX!!??!!"

That being said. I really, really need to watch the opening scene again. The conversation between Jacob and (pre-Locke? Does he have a name yet?) is the clue that will set the stage between the differing philosophies behind the island and what will lead to the civil war that is the final season. And lets just say how excited I was to have a bit of info about Jacob.

And further, what's with the new Losties? Good stuff.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Finale tonight. My predictions:

Juliet dies. Sawyer kills Jack. Others kill Hurley et al. Jack, Hurley, et al wake up in 2007. Locke finds them where he expects to find Jacob. The other Others attack. BONG: "Lost" Nine month wait.

1 out of six ain't bad. By Lost Standards. ;)

I am still getting over the reveal that we have not been following Lock this season. And does anyone think Richard was possibly from the Black Rock? He attributes his long livedness to Jacob and is referred to by Alana as Ricardo-though he corrects her.

But ummm...wow. I can't wait for 2010. The rest of 2009 is a wash anyhow. ;)

And further, what's with the new Losties? Good stuff.

They are the good guys. :)

Not blacking anything out, assuming everything here is spoiler-ish territory ...

My head is spinning, and I have nothing valuable to say about last night. Well, lots, maybe, but I can't sort it out - except that I loved it. Loved the whole setup with Jacob as God figure, bearded man as Lucifer wanting control figure, and Jacob's repetitive line that everyone has choices and free will. Curious about what everyone here thinks from a theologically informed perspective.

Also very curious about the idea of bodily resurrection (because Locke's body is clearly dead ... but where is Locke's soul? and how did bearded guy get into Locke's body if it's in the coffin still) - and that raises the question of Christian and Claire, who both appeared to be alive but not quite "themselves" on the island after they died (if indeed Claire is dead) ... and Christian's body is missing, right? Jack never found it ... has bearded Lucifer figure guy also inhabited them at various points?

Head spinning ... rambling on. Enlighten me, please.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Rose and Bernard were my favorite bit of that episode. Otherwise, completely baffled by all the brand new information.

But we see the hatch door and the first camp in Locke/Ben time, so does that mean Faraday's plan didn't work? Or did they create some kind of time loop?

So Pseudo-John Locke is the Anonymous Man from the first scene that was going to find a loophole to kill Jacob? But I wonder what that means for other characters in the plot. How many loopholed people are there? Does this have anything to do with Claire?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

And how great was that reveal of Locke
Edited by MLeary

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Didn't notice that.

Here are a bunch of images. They are two quotes from the Odyssey (which also features a character that compulsively weaved a tapestry). Top: May the gods give you all that your heart desires. The bottom is: "May the gods give you happiness." (I think.)

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

In Juliet's flashback scene did anyone notice the set? By my reckoning it looked like the scene took place in the late 90's/early 00's, obviously much too late for Juliet's childhood which would have probably been in the 70's. That must have been on purpose and I'm not sure why.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Another question: Is Jacob

Aaron

? I am starting to think that Jacob went and gathered this crew of people as a line of defense against his Adversary/Pseudo-Locke.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Aaron

?

Right now? I would say no...I do not see a whole lot of evidence to suggest or indicate it. I can't think of anything in the series that has even hinted at the possibility. What was it that made you start to see this as a possibility?

Aaron

?

Right now? I would say no...I do not see a whole lot of evidence to suggest or indicate it. I can't think of anything in the series that has even hinted at the possibility. What was it that made you start to see this as a possibility?

I tend to agree with Nezpop here. But when I think of things I'd like to see resolved, Aaron's one of them:

1) Are kids special, or not? Danielle's baby was stolen not because Alex was special, but because Ben was compassionate. Widmore did not care about collecting kids. But in Season 2, the whole business of the tailsection revolved around collecting kids, not to mention Walt's kidnapping. Season 3 introduced us to Juliet, the fertility doc. Why and when did this become part of the Others mission?

2) What is the smoke monster? We know where it lives, but what is it?

3) What is the relationship of the time traveling to the Jacob/man in black dynamic?

4) What and/or why is Richard Alpert a guide?

5) What is Widmore/Eloise/Ben's relationship?

6) Is Jacob in the flashbacks really Jacob? Is Jacob a good guy, or is the man in black the good guy?

7) Whatever happened to Alvar Hanso?

Now that the whole concept of loopholes has been tossed into the mix, which involve both time travel and inhabiting other people's bodies, it makes us call into question the status of all past characters that have either died, disappeared, or have odd origins. Aaron's story arc is riddled with loose ends that could be explained by this new wrinkle in Lost mechanics.

(And part of the problem is that I don't think the Claire/Aaron story was all that thought out before the writers buckled down and decided to actually script the show to its conclusion.)

I am not at all wedded to the idea, but it is interesting:

- He was born on the Island - which isn't necessarily strange, but he is the only one left. (Right? Not quite sure.)

- Remarks about the biblical meaning of his name were made early on, and then were revisited in this latest episode through mention to Moses in the giant foot at the end. Aaron has a unique history as the origin of a special priesthood, a spokesperson ur-prophet, etc...

- Christian, his grandfather, is linked to Jacob and Pseudo-Locke, and may even be a previous incarnation of Pseudo-Locke.

- Claire's disappearance is linked to Christian.

- Charlie and Claire appeared to Jack and Kate warning them not to take Aaron back to the island, but neither of them actually refer to him as Aaron.

- He "miraculously" survived the helicopter crash.

- Ben Linus was secretly trying to prove that Kate was not Aaron's mother in order to change his custody. Up to this point, Ben wasn't aware of who Jacob and Pseudo-Locke really were, but he new that there was something special about Aaron. At the very least, there is a faction that doesn't want Aaron back on the island, and there is a faction that does.

- This could explain why Charlie and Claire were so vehement about Aaron not returning to the Island with the Oceanic Six, as he really is one of the Oceanic Six, but is somehow part of this new loophole wrinkle in the show.

Edited by MLeary

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I've been lurking for a while, but I think this is my first actual post, so . . . hi. :)

But in Season 2, the whole business of the tailsection revolved around collecting kids, not to mention Walt's kidnapping. Season 3 introduced us to Juliet, the fertility doc. Why and when did this become part of the Others mission?

I think the focus on children was a result of the problem with children being born on the Island . . . which presumably became a problem after the electromagnetic "incident." The Others want to continue as a society, so it makes sense to kidnap children they can raise as their own. I suspect Walt falls into a different category, though--I think he was important not because he was a child, but because he was "special"--and that his mysterious abilities will play a role in the next season.

I don't understand how Juliet could be so fickle in the space of a few hours to go from wanting to escape to the mainland, to wanting to stop Jack, to wanting to help Jack.

Yeah, this was my one major problem with the finale . . . I wish the writers had spent a little more time on her changing motivations, because they didn't quite make enough sense.

Now that the whole concept of loopholes has been tossed into the mix, which involve both time travel and inhabiting other people's bodies, it makes us call into question the status of all past characters that have either died, disappeared, or have odd origins.

My interpretation of the "loophole" idea is that Esau needed a loophole to kill Jacob, because he couldn't do it himself--which ties into the scene where Christian tells Locke to turn the wheel in order to leave the Island, but can't help him turn it. My theory is that Esau is able, for whatever reason, to take on the appearance of dead people--but can't affect the physical world. He has to get someone else to turn wheels, stab people, etc. I'd also guess that he appeared to Ben as Alex ("Locke" was suspiciously off-screen the whole time). But I don't think he actually inhabits bodies--Locke's body was still in the plane, after all--nor do I think that anyone else in the show would have this ability. I also don't see how the loophole idea involves time travel--but perhaps I missed something? (Of course I could be off the mark with all of this . . . there's clearly a lot of information we don't have yet.)

Also: how cool is it that Jacob reads Flannery O'Connor?

My interpretation of the "loophole" idea is that Esau needed a loophole to kill Jacob, because he couldn't do it himself--which ties into the scene where Christian tells Locke to turn the wheel in order to leave the Island, but can't help him turn it. My theory is that Esau is able, for whatever reason, to take on the appearance of dead people--but can't affect the physical world. He has to get someone else to turn wheels, stab people, etc. I'd also guess that he appeared to Ben as Alex ("Locke" was suspiciously off-screen the whole time). But I don't think he actually inhabits bodies--Locke's body was still in the plane, after all--nor do I think that anyone else in the show would have this ability. I also don't see how the loophole idea involves time travel--but perhaps I missed something? (Of course I could be off the mark with all of this . . . there's clearly a lot of information we don't have yet.)

Also: how cool is it that Jacob reads Flannery O'Connor?

Welcome!

That is a great point about Esau not being able to affect the physical world (whereas Jacob seems to have to touch people). The loophole thing currently doesn't involve time travel, but I suspect it will in the next season. Just a guess, which doesn't often work well for me with Lost.

Edited by MLeary

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I think the focus on children was a result of the problem with children being born on the Island . . . which presumably became a problem after the electromagnetic "incident." The Others want to continue as a society, so it makes sense to kidnap children they can raise as their own. I suspect Walt falls into a different category, though--I think he was important not because he was a child, but because he was "special"--and that his mysterious abilities will play a role in the next season.

Welcome H! glad to have you here!

I'm not so sure the incident was the cause; if so, why wouldn't the motive for stealing Alex be infertility instead of Ben's conscience?

I think it would have profitted from a 2 hour premiere; just barely enough time to begin to identify a few of the survivors.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I don't post here very much but my question from last night's episode is: is Jacob God/Christ (or something symbolizing that) and is possessed Locke really Satan? I think Locke is very much dead. The reason I ask is the conversation the two had at the beginning of the show. "you know how bad I want to kill you" and so forth.

Anyways I thought the finale was great.