Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

Dan, I'm dying to hear your theory but taped last night's episode and haven't watched it yet. Now I'm REALLY intrigued ...

My wife showed me an article in TV GUIDE that posits some theories, too. I don't think you can get it online, but it's a good read, and includes some spoilers from upcoming episodes. (not to mention the all-important information that Matthew Fox likes to run around the beach au naturel)

I must say: I have heard Dan's theory. And it's a good one.

Here are scans of that TV Guide article.

This is great television.

Couldn't agree more.

For a somewhat off-kilter (and not very well-spelled) interview with one of the writers, here's a recent chat with David Fury, who seems to think that LOST co-creator Damon Lindelof is really the guy to watch.

Have we discussed the possible significance of an increasingly important character named Locke?

This is great television.

Couldn't agree more.

For a somewhat off-kilter (and not very well-spelled) interview with one of the writers, here's a recent chat with David Fury, who seems to think that LOST co-creator Damon Lindelof is really the guy to watch.

Have we discussed the possible significance of an increasingly important character named Locke?

Yeah. He's clearly a moral agent here. I think he's the one who clubbed Sayid.

spoilers1.gif

Did you realize how much fun last night's role must have been for Dominic? He was FRODO. He had the hood up, he had the freaky-zombie pupils as the power of the [delete: Ring] drugs did their damage, and in the end, he seized the evil talisman that was destroying him and CAST IT INTO THE FIRE.

Not to mention that that was TOTALLY Gandalf's moth helping them in the cave. wink.gif

Edited by Diane

spoilers1.gif

There is a very strong spiritual undercurrent running throughout the entire show, especially the theme of rebirth. The symbolism was more overt in this episode than in previous ones, I believe, what with the moth and cocoon, and Charlie's hand reaching through the dirt.

The moth example is also one that has been circulating around churches for years, which made me sit up and think "that's interesting".

I have also officially gone from being a simple fangirl to full-blown admirer of Dominic Monaghan. Our local PBS station doesn't show the Hetty series, so I've never seen him in anything other than Lord of the Rings. I was very impressed with his performance.

Sawyer is another character that has really intrigued me. He acts like he doesn't care about anyone, but he clearly does, and I suspect there's a soft heart underneath all the bluster. He also gets some of the best lines, along with Hurley.

I also agree with Alan. I had all but forgotten about the monster and other mysteries, I've been so caught up in the characters and their interactions with each other.

Our local PBS station doesn't show the Hetty series, so I've never seen him in anything other than Lord of the Rings.

That's a shame. He's quite good in it... although he was much younger, and played a much more conservative and understated sort of character. It's a rather sentimental show ... Britain's "Murder, She Wrote."

As for Sawyer... if the island turns out to be some other dimension between life and death, I won't be surprised if he turns out to be a sort of mischievous angel or otherwise supernatural agent who is working as a sort of "devil's advocate," prodding people along to moral realizations.

So, can anyone find out anything about the mysterious Damon Lindelof?

Our local PBS station doesn't show the Hetty series, so I've never seen him in anything other than Lord of the Rings.

That's a shame. He's quite good in it... although he was much younger, and played a much more conservative and understated sort of character. It's a rather sentimental show ... Britain's "Murder, She Wrote."

As for Sawyer... if the island turns out to be some other dimension between life and death, I won't be surprised if he turns out to be a sort of mischievous angel or otherwise supernatural agent who is working as a sort of "devil's advocate," prodding people along to moral realizations.

WOAH there cowboy!! Your spilling the BIG THEORY!! Although, its pretty common these days.

Wow, I just watched Wednesday's episode. If the Emmy folks have any credibility, this show ought to dominate next year's nominations. I'm not holding out hope, mind you, but Monaghan and Terry O'Quinn ought to be shoe-ins for acting nominations, along with the writers. And does anyone else find the Korean woman a phenomenal actress? With very few lines, she's conveyed a whole range of emotions and undercurrents. She's become one of the most intriguing characters.

Wow, I just watched Wednesday's episode. If the Emmy folks have any credibility, this show ought to dominate next year's nominations. I'm not holding out hope, mind you, but Monaghan and Terry O'Quinn ought to be shoe-ins for acting nominations, along with the writers. And does anyone else find the Korean woman a phenomenal actress? With very few lines, she's conveyed a whole range of emotions and undercurrents. She's become one of the most intriguing characters.

Yep, and I like that the minority characters aren't tokens only, but have fully developed stories so far. Wonder what they're leading up to between the Korean and the African?

Emmy voters gave Arrested Development the nod, so maybe they will Lost, too? One can hope.

hrh

Here's a New York Times article on the show (free registration required, or try bugmenot.com).

Mr. Abrams seemed particularly pleased that the cast is not all perfect cheekbones and "Baywatch" bodies, although there are certainly plenty of those. "The show is about an international flight that crashes somewhere in the Pacific," he said, "so the cast is going to look more like the world looks and less like 'Beverly Hills 90210.' "

Funny, given some of the conversation about this here.

Because there were so many parts to cast - 14 major characters and dozens of background actors whose primary job is to walk around dazed on the beach until their story line comes to the fore....

[snip]

Not that they're done with the casting, even now. There are flashback episodes that have to be populated, and most of the 46 characters who survived the crash haven't been seen. The longer "Lost" stays on the air - and with an average of 18 million viewers per episode so far, it will undoubtedly be around for a while - the more likely it is that new faces will appear.

Hmm. I was just talking with a friend earlier who's already tired of the flashback thing. Looks like it could go on for a while.

Edited by Diane

Hmm. I was just talking with a friend earlier who's already tired of the flashback thing. Looks like it could go on for a while.

Your friend is retarded. This is like saying "I like Buffy, I'm just getting tired of this vampire thing."

Your friend is retarded.  This is like saying  "I like Buffy, I'm just getting tired of this vampire thing."

True, but remember Buffy took at least its first season to hit its stride. I can see why Losts structure might get tiring if we did the flashback thing for *every single* main character before getting any deeper but from what I'm reading it looks like we'll be revisiting some of them before the second half of the season, which'll drive things forward. And there's the nice device set up already that, in the Sun and Jin story, we'll only understand their story from seeing both sides of it.

BTW, that's an interesting but spoilers1.gif ific interview with Paul Dini up at Dark Horizons in which he co-oborates Abrams that there's no plans to change the structure yet:

The team is well aware that the show will have to move beyond this focus at some point, however, that could be done in say season 3 or 4. And yes they have a loose season plan for going that far with the show.

Phil.

Speaking of flashbacks, My wife and I have a suspicion that some of Sayid's torture scenes that we saw for the next show are part of his own flashback and not anything occuring on the island.

Your friend is retarded. This is like saying "I like Buffy, I'm just getting tired of this vampire thing."

Um, no, she's not. She's just lost patience with the show. For the record, she was tired of the flashbacks way back when they first started, not after everyone knew that was the nature of the show (the Kate backstory was probably the beginning of the end for her). I can kind of see her point, in a way. One week of flashbacks, okay. Oh, TWO weeks of flashbacks, uh, fine. Wait, THREE weeks of flashbacks!? It irritated me, too, at first, but I'm good with it now. I think she was initially more intrigued by what was happening in the here and now on the island. She wanted to move forward, and I think she was worried about what Shantih mentions

Edited by Diane

The difficulty with using flashbacks every week is they hinge on how interesting a given character is. I, for one, don't find Sawyer all that interesting - kind of a stock villain - and while last night's episode shed some light on him, it didn't have the same "wow" effect of the Charlie, Locke or Korean woman episodes (sorry, I still don't know the poor woman's name!). I'm eagerly awaiting the Sayid and Boone/Shannon flashbacks, particularly the latter ... there's something just too good about the big brother, and way too bitchy about the sis ... so, as Joe Scarborough would say, what's the real deal?

Personally, I'd like to see the writers spend one week on a flashback, the next on the island showing us the character development happening there, then back to a flashback, etc. Specifically, I'd like to see the characters interacting as they build a makeshift shower, loo, find food sources. Kind of like Survivor, only more realistic. happy.gif That would build some suspense toward the flashback sequences, IMHO.

Did the article Shantih linked to say the entire first season is only going to cover a month? Didn't Charlie say in last night's episode that they've been on the island two weeks? So the next 16 or whatever eps will only cover another 14 days?

Um, no, she's not.

Sorry, please know that I should almost never be taken seriously.

S'okay, Dan.

So, no more Charlie drug withdrawals this episode? Was Locke a no-show? When Television Without Pity puts up the looooooong recap next week, I'll have to read the whole thing, I guess.

I went to Seattle's Cinerama for a HUGE SCREEN second-helping of The Incredibles and completely forgot to set my VCR.

Could somebody send me a PM summing up what I missed? Or maybe I just need to check that site Diane mentioned...