Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

Interesting--I thought that Widmore's story was one of the big unresolved threads. You can't get all dramatic about this war coming, and then not show up for the rest of the series.

What I find intriguing is, if the current alignment of Jacob=good and Smocke=Bad holds, the final line of season two really holds out. Ben: We're the good guys.

But what nasty good guys they turned out to be--very ends justify the means kind of fellows.

But what nasty good guys they turned out to be--very ends justify the means kind of fellows.

I saw someone mention this on the interwebz somewhere, but I think it holds up: most of the Others generally employed an "ask first, maybe shoot later" policy aside from a few people (Ben, Pickett, etc.) I still think the sides aren't arranged by good/bad, though, but that's just my pet theory.

As for Widmore, I probably shouldn't have said the story was resolved. But I did feel like it was at a point I could live with: "he used to be the leader of the Others, he's off the island, he can't get back on (so says Ben), he's simmering uselessly off island as everything wraps up."

I just watched the first half of Tarkovsky's Stalker (3rd viewing--I'll watch the rest tonight), and the similarities between the Zone in that and the Island on Lost are kind of intriguing. Anyone know if JJ's a Tarkovsky fan?

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I thought last nights flash sideways was a nice twist on the original introduction to James' flashback in season one. Nice to see Miles, though I wonder if he has his "gift", it seemed as if he did not.

It is interesting o watch the original Losties and their interaction as part of NotLocke's entourage. Kate seems outright resistant, and this makes me wonder if she is going to bolt the minute the opportunity presents itself. Jin I suspect is going to get out as soon as he can, as he clearly is fearful o NotLocke and Claire. Claire of course, seems totally unbalanced. Sayid seems totally in a daze (note how he just kind of watched Claire attacking Kate-almost like it was a distant event). Sawyer is... well, Sawyer, willing to try and con everyone.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I really appreciate how Jimmy Ford, the master conman, managed to make everyone dance to his tune this episode solely by telling the truth. It took me an hour or two for that to click, but it ties in well with what happened in the sideflash.

Also, anyone else catch Alterna-Miles's tossed off reference to his dad?

For some speculatin':

I feel like someone else might've brought this up, but I'm wondering if the sideways flashes are tangents from the 'main' timeline, because each essentially gives the Alterna-characters a choice (violence/no violence, deception for gain/self-sacrifice for a loved one, etc.) and this directly relates to the characters on the island. It seems like the ones that are changing — Jack, Ben, etc. — are on team Jacob but the ones that don't (Sayid, uh, the always-running Kate, even though she seems like she's going to jump ship) are getting lumped into team Flocke. And then there's John Locke, always entrapped. Like the Smoke Monster. Kind of fitting one essentially becomes the other.

Nice thoughts, Jason. I think the show hits the ball out of the park when it spends time on four or five characters (Jack, Sawyer, Ben, Locke, Hurley) and pokes around a bit.

Another quick thought--with Smocke's "mother" reference, anyone wonder if Aaron will be the Jacob replacement? And do we expect to see the Egyptian mythology reference come into full fruition in that Jacob and Smocke are dueling gods from the Egyptian pantheon?

I wouldn't be surprised to see that--and am turn between the Adam and Eve skeletons turning out to be Rose and Bernard or the first bodies of Jacob and M.I.B.

Or if the show was really committed to a broader story, two escaped slaves from the Black Rock that have nothing else to do with the story.

I'm seeing a few things here, after Richard's episode:

1) Trying to make direct parallels between the show's characters and anything else is a big Dramatic No-No, but you could (collectively) look at Jacob and Un-Locke as a deity, or "true spirituality" (whatever that means), and The Others are religion mucking it up. Trying to do the right thing, trying be all nice and stuff, but sometimes shooting people in the face. Whoops.

2) I felt like there could've been some major nods to Job's story in scripture here, at least loosely. And like Job, didn't Richard live 140 years or so after the ordeal?

Also, Frank got another line in tonight!

Also, the description of bottling up evil seems to put the lie to the concern that we'll end up with some grand dualism. But I'm having trouble seeing the Lost world as one where evil isn't already rampant throughout the world, as seen in the flashbacks and flashforwards of the characters' lives.

So i'm not necessarily buying that little piece of mythologizing.

Well, I thought of that too, but think of this: what if Jacob is keeping things in balance? Sure, there's evil out there, but if Smokey were out there in the world, the balance would be tipped heavily in his direction. Hence the balanced white/black stones, etc.

Well, I thought of that too, but think of this: what if Jacob is keeping things in balance? Sure, there's evil out there, but if Smokey were out there in the world, the balance would be tipped heavily in his direction. Hence the balanced white/black stones, etc.

That's always been my impression, that Jacob and Flocke are holding each other in balance, that one is the yin to the other's yang. You've got the stones, their outfits, even the actors' physical features/hair color -- they're all opposites.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

That's always been my impression, that Jacob and Flocke are holding each other in balance, that one is the yin to the other's yang. You've got the stones, their outfits, even the actors' physical features/hair color -- they're all opposites.

If it's going to be the old dualism/existentialism thing again, I'm bored now, but with only seven episodes left, will see it through.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

If it's going to be the old dualism/existentialism thing again, I'm bored now, but with only seven episodes left, will see it through.

Beth, have you noticed the Buffy similarities lately? Hellmouth, potentials/replacements, the First.

"I am quietly judging you" - Magnolia

That's where I though the show was going (*yawn) after the Smocke/Linus conversation several episodes back, but it seems like they are actually moving towards some dramatic showdown between good and evil. The idea that "good" is something that keeps "evil" in check is alien to proper dualism, so as long as this narrative twist holds, I assume the show is going to conclude with a number of the kind of additional character arc moral twists that we see in such stories. (For example: Was Sayid staring into Desmond's eyes a foreshadowing of a restored Sayid? What will Kate's role vis-a-vis Crazy Claire be in the showdown? Etc...)

The idea that "goodness" is something that holds evil in check is a concept embedded throughout all the literary references the writers have tossed into the script so far as well. So far, the Wrinkle in Time reference seems most prophetic for the show, as a dark smoke looms over the future course of history, and only unequipped people acting out of love for others can save it.

FWIW, I was really touched by the conversation between Richard and his wife in the last episode. Cheesy, I know, but I am such a sucker for moments where we see spouses really, truly communicating with each other (even if it is across time and space), which is rare on TV. Likewise, I have always enjoyed the Jin and Sun story arc, and am interested to see where this is going.

Otherwise, I am happy to see who the package is. (If he is the package, maybe baby Kwon is the package?)

Though he isn't a very Hume character at all. He is more of a Rousseau than anything, but I guess that was already taken.

Additional question: Is the tomato a metaphor for parallel-life Sun's baby? Or put another way, the Sun/Jin parallel-life stories had a lot of connection to what has happened to them on the island. Is some sort of convergence happening?

And another question: Widmore said that if Smocke gets off the Island, everyone they know and love will simply "cease to exist." This is not the doom armageddon scenario we expect from a nihilist smoke monster, so Smocke getting off the island must have to do with the current timeline ceasing to exist, right? Or is the alternative world what happens if Smocke gets off the island?

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I half expected the package to be yet one more John Locke.

Otherwise, I am happy to see who the package is. (If he is the package, maybe baby Kwon is the package?) Spoiler Though he isn't a very Hume character at all. He is more of a Rousseau than anything, but I guess that was already taken.

I'm not sure I'm following you here-you are happy at who the ep revealed the package to be? Or are you saying a third party may be the package?

Why is the package important anyway? I'm still confused as to the loyalties of the parties (others, other others, and widmore). I liked that little reminder that while Flocke is not Locke, he's still got some connection with Locke's memory.

Anyone watch the "next week's ep" teaser? I wonder if the writer's are finally going to start killing off their main cast?

If

Charlie and Daniel are really going to be instrumental in "awakening" everyone out of sideways-hell-is-getting-everything-you-want world, aren't they kind of killing themselves, since they're already dead in the "real" world?

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Dear Lost Fans: There is Weekly Group Therapy for Your Obsession - by Mackenzie Schmidt

There are some unnerving similarities between Lost obsessives and Red Sox fans. Lost devotees watch this show the way that most Massholes watch baseball: en masse, with an unfailing dedication and a sense of unity previously only thought to exist at European soccer games. They stick with their favorite characters when they're down -- and by down, I mean disappearing into the jungle for a few episodes -- and hold out during bad seasons (or an 86-year curse). These are the people who hung around when things on the island got a little too ridiculous for the rest of us, and they all come together every Tuesday, as they've been doing every week since the season's February premiere, at the Knitting Factory for "Lost: The Final Season Therapy Sessions."

At these weekly gatherings, a Jack and Coke is a Jack and Kate, a Gin and Juice is a Jin and Sun, and an Irish car bomb is a Smoke Monster. More importantly, however, a can of PBR is a Dharma beer (named for the show's Dharma Initiative, the mysterious social experiment/science project that first put non-native people on the island). There's even a bake sale with Lost-themed cupcakes and cookies ...

"Lost [night] is not a bro-fest," says Jeff Curtin, one of the event's founders and member of the "recap rock" band Previously on Lost. He describes the crowd demographic as "fans of TV, fans of Lost, and fans of alcohol." Like any public TV viewing event, the attendees are also fans of group bonding. "People end up hugging complete strangers next to them" ...

When the show begins, and those infamous words "Previously on Lost..." ring out, a cheer goes up from the packed bar. The moment the recap starts, however, everything falls silent. Dead silent. Silent like you can hear the bar's ice melting. Silent like the bartender appears to be tiptoeing. Then the first commercial break comes and there is a mass "Oooooh!" followed by immediate chattering ...

"I'm gonna get angry every episode until the finale," says a woman sitting at the bar, who'd just pounded her fist in all seriousness. Adds another, "This is soooo Days of Our Lives." [spoilers mildly possible ahead.] "Are you ****ing kidding me!?" comes a voice next to the cookie table when Jack makes up a medical reason that Sun's hitting her head on a tree has made her forget how to speak English. The absurdity is apparent and it's accepted, seemingly even by the writers of the show ...

I bet watching Lost with friends would be fun if I were ten years younger and in the pre-kid stage. For now, curling up on the sofa with the wife and reminding her of stuff like, "that dude was in that other Desmond episode" and "no, this is the alternate universe" is the perfect Lost viewing experience for me/us.

Nice juxtaposition, Locke and Desmond in the two timelines. Still, first impression was that this was 40 minutes of filler and 8 minutes of good stuff. Still, good to see Libby back. And I get confused with all the dead people--its not Flocke, right, since he appears to be settled in Locke's persona?