Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

spoilers1.gif

The best thing about last night's episode was the return to TV of Babylon 5's Mira Furlan, as the still somewhat mysterious French castaway Danielle Rousseau--the one who was transmitting the "they're all dead" signal.

So now we have two philosophers LOST on the island. Hmmmmmmmm.

idea.gif

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

That's EXACTLY what I said to Anne when Danielle showed up. "So, Locke's going to fall in love."

But you know, I *hated* the Danielle/Sayeed scenes. They were cheesy, the writing was awful, the acting was far too cheesy. And I didn't care for Sayeed's back-story too. The sentimental love story just didn't fit in with the harsh, gritty Iraqi miliatry context.

In fact, I think this was the weakest episode yet. The golf course was its saving grace.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

In fact, I think this was the weakest episode yet.

I didn't care for the episode either. In fact it was the first episode that caught me dozing a couple of times. Which leads me to ask, spoilers1.gif did Danielle say something about a plague or outbreak that killed the others? And if so, did that one guy's case of "hives" indicate something more sinister is on the island?

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I liked it. I thought it brought the island back into focus in a way that's been missing the last few weeks. I also enjoyed the slow way they unfolded parts of the mystery, while leaving other parts alone.

I am in agreement with those who are tired of the flashbacks. Except for Locke's, they don't really seem to add anything to the story. I would enjoy getting to know these characters more through their interactions with each other, and how they work through the challenges of the island.

Subtlety is underrated

I had mixed feelings about this episode. I really liked the way the "what's this island all about" storyline finally took a real step forward--the plot developments (at least one other person on the island, something possibly making people go crazy, etc.) could lead to really interesting later episodes. But the episode itself was only fair. I had been eagerly anticipating Sayeed's backstory and was pretty disappointed with it--I definitely agree with Jeffrey on that one.

However, I'm always excited to see any Bab5 actors getting work--even if DeLen was far from my favorite Bab5 character. (The Londo/G'Kar storyline was the one that kept me hooked.)

Then again, maybe having Locke and Rousseau on the island will finally motivate me to read some philosophy!

--Teresa

There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which nobody knows; and we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." --from Magnolia

From USA Today:

Fans find all manner of theories about 'Lost'

By Ann Oldenburg, USA TODAY

Sometimes it starts at 9:01 p.m. Wednesday. Sometimes it doesn't happen until Thursday morning.

But each week, at some point after the credits start rolling on ABC's hit drama Lost, fans start in.

On the Internet, on radio shows, in the office or at home with friends and family, they assess and obsess about the latest episode of the mystery about plane crash survivors on a mysterious island.

"My husband and I discuss theories throughout the viewing of the show so much that sometimes I have to shush him so I can hear what is happening," says Michelle Horan, 36, of Atlanta.

"If we had a water cooler, that's where we'd talk about it, but we end up talking about it in the lab," says Karen Schroeder, 35, of Taylor Mill, Ky., who works in a research and development lab for a company that formulates coatings for various products.

Lost averages more than 17 million viewers each week. Speculation already is running high about Episode 9, which airs tonight at 8 ET/PT: Is Iraqi survivor Sayid captured by a Frenchwoman, the source of the bizarre 16-year-old radio transmission?

Also tonight, Tom Cruise's cousin William Mapother plays Ethan, another plane crash survivor

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

If that 'white cloth' idea is right, why hasn't that black woman found her husband? Why isn't the fat guy thin (not that there's anything wrong with that)? I don't buy that theory.

Unless she subconsciously wanted her husband to disappear ... and Hurley is an underachiever who is so attached to being the fat, funny guy that he'd lose his identity if he changed ... and, hey, maybe Claire is an infertile woman who desperately wants a child ... just random thoughts here, but fun to speculate.

And what about the two who have died, the pilot and the swimmer? If they are already in purgatory, what happened to them? They moved on?

Subtlety is underrated

I've also wondered about the baby - mainly how it will complicate the plot, and life on the island - and the people who died. If it is meant to represent a limbo state, my guess would be that the pilot's horrific death at the hands (and mouth) of the "monster" might represent a descent into hell, whereas the woman's drowning (said to be the most peaceful way to die) could be her ascent to paradise ...

spoilers1.gif

Bunch of rabbits have problems. Tragic ending.

smile.gif

Edited by The Baptist Death Ray

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

No need to outsource the research. Our Watership Down thread (okay, it's only a single post, but it's packed with data and links!) is here.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

spoilers1.gif for this week's and last week's episodes follows.

Are people still watching this? I was about to give up on it until tonight. This is what I like--more mystery island, more character interaction on the island, and less emphasis on the flashback. They've succeeded in hooking me in for at least another week, though I have misgivings about making the baby a focal point in the story, as they seem to be doing.

I have to admit to being fooled during Charlie's "death" scene.

I really began to believe the producers lied to us in the TV guide, since we've been told that at least one regular character dies at some point. Unless they lied about that instead.

dry.gif

Does anyone think Evangeline Lilly is a good actress? I'm really trying to understand her appeal (besides the obvious) and was curious as to what folks here think.

On a side note: Does anyone know how to spoiler out the emote, if it's possible? It looks weird like that. huh.gif

Edit: thanks Darrel!

Edited by Ann D.

Subtlety is underrated

On a side note:  Does anyone know how to spoiler out the emote, if it's possible?  It looks weird like that.  huh.gif

you'd ahve to put it outside the spoiler markers, although it's not bad where you have it - mid-spoiler would be odd.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Are people still watching this?  I was about to give up on it until tonight. 

Last week was a little ho-hum until the very end, which is of course where tonght's show just took off from. Not a big problem. I expect a valley or two to be found in the rhythm of the story.

Basically I am sooooo still watching this. I am in. I am as in as in can be.

I keep missing the occassional episode, but I'm finding it not too difficult to pick up the story threads that I've missed.

Hopefully somebody Tivo'd this and can check. I don't know, maybe I heard it wrong... but I could have sworn that

when Jack was trying to revive Charlie, Kate at one point says to him, "He's lost." If so, I found that an interesting use of the term, and not one you usually hear when referencing somebody's death.

Can anyone confirm that?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Definately still wathcing and still hooked. I'm strarting to abandon my pergatory theory, or maybe just shopping for a more interesting one.

The ending last night has me very ready for the next episode. Although it looks like it may be a while.

Apologies in advance, but...

I am the only one who thought that last night's Big Dramatic Moment was incredibly lame and clich

I'll agree the main two can be a bit heavy handed, although the dragging out of last night's incident went along perfectly with Jack's struggle about when to give up and when to keep trying.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't dragged it out so much.

spoilers1.gif

My big complaint about that scene, and probably a complaint that a lot of Dr.'s, Nurses and EMT's would also have, is that this was the typical cliched TV version of administering CPR... the type that afterwards doesn't seem to have much physical effect on the victim

other than revivng him, e.g. no cracked sternum or broken ribs. Anyone who's watched

ER, or the many other medical shows of the past decade that try to add realism into their treatment, knows that a person just doesn't get up after it's all over with. Let's face it, Jack gave Charlie a royal beating.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

FWIW, last night, I moved "Lost" above "Smallville" in my TiVo Season Pass list. I have missed a bunch of eps (last I saw was Saied getting bumped on the head - how many did I miss? 1? 2?) but Smallville has been so lame lately (sex. sex. sex. WITCHES! (yeeps) sex.) that I have finally decided I'll catch them when the DVD set is released.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."