Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

Diane, no need to duck and run. Your opinion is valued. smile.gif

I agree that the writers really should have had the guts to see it all the way through, instead of relying on a cliche. I was just amazed that they managed to convince me for even a short time.

So I'm feeling a bit mixed on the ending. I was disappointed when Jack started "CPR" again, but I don't know if I would have continued watching otherwise. The plot still doesn't interest me that much, except as a catalyst for character interaction.

I agree that the writers really should have had the guts to see it all the way through, instead of relying on a cliche.  I was just amazed that they managed to convince me for even a short time. 

So I'm feeling a bit mixed on the ending.  I was disappointed when Jack started "CPR" again, but I don't know if I would have continued watching otherwise.  The plot still doesn't interest me that much, except as a catalyst for character interaction.

I'm still watching--as is my DH--we're intrigued by the mystery of it all, and waiting to find out more about minor characters like the father & son, Hurley, the Korean couple, even the bratty narcissist sister. Locke is becoming more and more interesting. So even though I, too, had mixed feelings about the cliched almost-a-tragedy, I'm still on board.

But I bet that in the writers' room, David Fury was saying (or thinking), "On Buffy, we'd have killed

him

. Hey, we'd have brought the character back eventually as a ghost or something, but the character would be dead." tongue.gif

Hey, we'd have brought the character back eventually as a ghost or something, but the character would be dead." tongue.gif

Not so sure this wouldn't have been fair game in this show as well. The thought crossed my mind. Especially since he's probably as highly paid as the main characters.

I wouldn't have minded that. It would have been better than the solution they came up with, at least.

There's quite a lot of speculation on another board that

the island actually brought him back and now he's one of the "others"

That could be interesting.

Wooohooo!!!! The prayer was awesome (even if it was cut short). It sounded very much like a "real" prayer-- not a "hollywood" prayer. (I also wondered if they were being a bit stereotypical to let Rose be the one to pray). Still it was awesome. It suggests that Charlie's faith introduced back in The Moth wasn't just a throw-away on the part of the writers. It seems like they're going to be exploring his faith more.

As far as the rest of the characters, it seemed to me the writers are intentionally shaking things up. Many of the "good" characters (Jack, Sayid, Kate, Boone and even Charlie) showed some definitely ugly sides tonight. (How many times is Jack going to torture poor Sawyer!?!) And then at least two of the "bad" characters (Sawyer and Shannon) were portrayed a lot more sympathetically. I must say I'm liking Sawyer more and more. He's definitely the Han Solo of the island.

Two complaints about tonight. First, no Locke angry.gif and second (highlight to read spoiler):

Don't you think people would be freaking out a little more knowing that a pregnant lady on the brink of giving birth had been kidnapped? I mean, why didn't they get 30 or so people together to go looking for her (safety in numbers). Instead they were more worried about bits of the plane being washed out to sea. What gives?

This is a show that continues to surprise me at the quality of the writing, acting, directing, etc.

sad.gif

I had to make do with a recap of the show from my DH, because our elderly VCR chose this week to go wonky. For the second time now it has failed to record a timed programmed recording. Bah. Unless I can figure out what went wrong, it's time to decide between being a new cheap VCR, or plunging for a DVD recorder...

It sounds as if this was a good one, too. Interestingly, another fan described this ep as "Zzzzzzzz." She's Jewish.

Sorry to hear you missed it BethR. sad.gif

Plot wise almost nothing happened. In that sense it was Zzzzzzz.

It was almost all character-driven last night.

The highlight that we're referring to is that Rose, the African-American woman who was grieving for her lost husband in the first couple of episodes befriended Charlie. She tried to encourage him, trying to get him to see it wasn't his fault that Claire was taken. At the end she said "There's only one person Who can help you." And she and Charlie started praying. Her words were something to the effect "Heavenly Father, I'm thankful you brought the two of us together tonight. We need you...." Or something to that effect. Charlie was crying. It was definitely a highlight of the night.

ant

I agree with your friend and anthony. It was a bit of a snoozer last night and the thing which Kate has spent so much energy to get was well... stupid.

BUT the prayer was very cool for both spiritual and plot implications.

I'm also dying to know what Locke and what's his face are up to with their discovery in the jungle.

I'm also dying to know what Locke and what's his face are up to with their discovery in the jungle.

Agreed!

It's interesting how certain objects are starting to gain significance to them. I believe either Hurley or Michael mentioned last night the axe and they (and we) all knew what he was referring to. That struck me as a nice realistic touch.

Agreed!

It's interesting how certain objects are starting to gain significance to them. I believe either Hurley or Michael mentioned last night the axe and they (and we) all knew what he was referring to. That struck me as a nice realistic touch.

I missed that, my 3-year-old is generally much louder during my favorite shows! What was said, and I don't know what the axe is referring to and I've seen all the episodes.

the thing which Kate has spent so much energy to get was well... stupid.

Of course, I didn't actually see the ep, so I'm just going on my DH's report, but if he and I both thought it might be kind of interesting that her valued object was

a minature airplane

, at least from a metaphorical POV...but we were too tired to explore the implications further.

sad.gif

I had to make do with a recap of the show from my DH, because our elderly VCR chose this week to go wonky.  For the second time now it has failed to record a timed programmed recording. Bah.  Unless I can figure out what went wrong, it's time to decide between being a new cheap VCR, or plunging for a DVD recorder...

Is this the week of VCR revolts? Mine crapped out on Tuesday during Amazing Race, so last night I tried taping Lost on our downstairs VCR (even older, and unreliable).

During rewind, I noticed the ending of the show was cut off - Kate is looking at previously mentioned object, then it all goes fuzzy. I'm getting really irritated with ABC, which appears to be running episodes longer each week so viewers can't switch channels. I even set the timer for five minutes past nine, but the ending still got chopped. No previews, nothin'.

I missed that, my 3-year-old is generally much louder during my favorite shows!  What was said, and I don't know what the axe is referring to and I've seen all the episodes.

It's not a big deal just an observation. They were talking about getting into Kate's briefcase. And one of them mentioned using the axe, and we cut to Locke and Boone walking through the jungle. Boone has taken the axe, and Locke is very concerned that Boone was seen taking it.

My observation is just referring to the fact that certain useful limited resources, like the axe, are starting to be treated as important objects.

Another possibility raised last night (not really a surprise) is that Boone is gay.

I caught that, but I didn't really make much of it. It seemed like just banter between brother and sister.

(sorry for the double post)

Local girl found on Lost

A former Kelowna waitress and church camp counsellor is the sexy star of one of the most popular, critically acclaimed new dramas on U.S. television. Evangeline Lilly, 25, plays Kate, the female lead role on Lost, a series about the survivors of a plane crash on a South Pacific island. . . . Lilly's family lives in the Lower Mainland, but she came up to Kelowna for a number of summers in the late '90s to work as a counsellor at the Green Bay Bible Camp on the Westside. "She was great with the kids, because she's such a caring and compassionate person," said another of her friends, Jay Young, who first met Lilly in 1999 when he also worked as a counsellor at the camp. "She's such a down-to-earth, real person, so it's just so odd to see her now as this bigtime celebrity," said Young, now the camp's director. Lilly, who did missionary work in the Philippines as a teenager, lived in Kelowna for a few years before returning to Vancouver to attend the University of B.C. She was studying international relations, and decided to try modelling to help pay her tuition.

Kelowna Daily Courier, December 8

There's a new recapper at Television Without Pity, and he neatly summed up in two sentences what I've been feeling about the series the past few weeks:

Daniel:

I mean, I realize there's not a lot of point in poking plot holes through a show like this. It just bugs me when shows ask us to suspend our disbelief on big things when they can't get the little stuff right.

This was in the context of recapping the so-called bank robbery, and why anyone in their right mind would stonewall the robbers because "they were going to kill him anyway".

I'm beginning to wonder if Kate is supposed to be some kind of Siren on this series, the way everyone always falls head over heels for her in just one minute.

I really hope next week's episode is better.

I definitely get the sense as I read message boards that fans (myself included) are getting tired of each episode asking more questions without any real answers. If they haven't already, they are soon going to hit a point of diminishing returns. The show has so many open-ended questions I don't think it would hurt for them to answer just a few. Would it? unsure.gif

I definitely get the sense as I read message boards that fans (myself included) are getting tired of each episode asking more questions without any real answers.  If they haven't already, they are soon going to hit a point of diminishing returns.  The show has so many open-ended questions I don't think it would hurt for them to answer just a few.  Would it?  unsure.gif

I'm in agreement here. I still look forward to the show each week, but there do need to be some payoffs... especially before the final episode, which you just know is going to throw something at us from left field to get us back for season 2. I used to be an avid viewer of The Sopranos, but slowly drifted away from that series as plot threads were introduced, and then never followed up on. I hope the same doesn't happen with Lost.

I definitely get the sense as I read message boards that fans (myself included) are getting tired of each episode asking more questions without any real answers.  If they haven't already, they are soon going to hit a point of diminishing returns.  The show has so many open-ended questions I don't think it would hurt for them to answer just a few.  Would it?  unsure.gif

Maybe, maybe not. Check out this article which groups Lost with several other current & recent successful shows, including ALIAS, CARNIVALE, 24, and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES which "spin long and sometimes frustrating narratives that never seem to wrap up. You're never sure if some tidbit is a throwaway or the clue that will unlock the whole thing."

The article calls it "the Golden Age of Huh? TV."

Probable spoilers1.gif below.

Very apt, especially after this episode. I'm a bit ambivalent towards this one--there seemed to be an actual story, though once again filled with more teases than answers, and the flashbacks again took up too much time. But as for the big reveal? I'm convinced the writers are making up things up as they go along, at least as pertains to the individual characters.

I'm also feeling very jerked around. When the producers say a character will die, I wonder if what they really meant was "sure, the characters are dying--sort of". So here was another cop-out.

Probable spoilers1.gif  below.

Very apt, especially after this episode. I'm a bit ambivalent towards this one--there seemed to be an actual story, though once again filled with more teases than answers, and the flashbacks again took up too much time. But as for the big reveal? I'm convinced the writers are making up things up as they go along, at least as pertains to the individual characters.

I'm also feeling very jerked around. When the producers say a character will die, I wonder if what they really meant was "sure, the characters are dying--sort of". So here was another cop-out.

spoilers1.gif

I'm with you. From the start I've predicted that Boone and Shannon had more than a brotherly-sisterly relationship, so there was no shock for me. Also no real shock that Shannon wasn't really dead - saw that "dream sequence" coming a mile away when Boone woke up and heard her screaming. The real shock is that the writers would pull the same stunt on us twice - killing a major character only to say moments later, "just kidding."

spoilers1.gif

I hear what you're saying. However, I accepted Shannon's "resurrection" more than Charlie's, specifically because it was a dream. In other words, within the parameters of the story it seemed a more "realistic" way to have someone come back to life.

As for this episode, I felt at the end like it had more resolution than previous episodes. I believe we know now more of what Locke is up to and it is consistent with what he did with Charlie. So in my mind, we're moving forward on that front.

There are two things that still bug me to no end:

1. Nobody seems to care that there are other people wandering around the island. Why has nobody gone back to talk to Rousseau? How can Sayid spend all day making maps knowing that there are people on the island who have answers to all these riddles.

2. That Claire is still gone. Everybody (maybe with the exception of Charlie) has gone on with their lives. You would think in light of a very real threat, they would be becoming more organized and set up defenses, guards, etc.

Don't get me wrong, this is still an awesome show! And the world and the characters they have created are so complex, it is going to be very difficult if not impossible to keep all the threads consistent.

Favorite scene last night: Hurley begging Jin to pee on his foot. -- classic!

One last thing and then I'm done: Any objections to updating the topic to say SPOILERS THROUGHOUT?

spoilers1.gif

I hear what you're saying.

spoilers1.gif

From the start I've predicted that Boone and Shannon had more than a brotherly-sisterly relationship, so there was no shock for me.

This bugged, and not just because it felt like it came out of left field. I kind of liked having a brother/sister dynamic on the show. It's refreshing to see a male and female relationship on TV that doesn't have to be romantic. It's also not inconceivable that there would be familial relationships on the plane, and it was nice to see that reflected in the survivors. But no, they have to go for gratuitous shock value.

And lest anyone think I'm being too harsh on the show...well, I probably am. smile.gif But there are good things about Lost that keep me coming back week to week. I especially like the character interactions on the island, such as Shannon/Sayid, Jin/Hurley, Sayid/Sawyer, and Locke/anyone. The mysterious island storyline is intriguing (was the compass really faulty?). So I'm still hooked. But in my perfect world, there would be less time devoted to flashbacks, more consistency in the characters, and more continuity in consecutive episodes. smile.gif