Sign in to follow this  
MattPage

Minor Bible films

I've been meaning to post this for a while as I've watched a few obscure bible films recently which aren't really all interesting enough to merit an entire thread for each, but a few of you will hopefully be vaguely interested in these (OK well I'm hoping at least PTC, Tim W & Mike H will be)

In The Beginning (2000 USA)

Starred Martin Landau as Abraham, which is interesting cos he played Jacob in Joseph which I'd seen a few weeks before. Something of a family resemblance (but then I suppose Landau is part of that particular family!).

I made notes on this film because its got a Moses section, and it was interesting that Abraham leaving Ur was depicted very much as an Exodus. (and IIRC the Exodus scene is very like a combination of the scenes from two The Ten Commandments films by DeMille)

I was surprised by the inclusion of a creation sequence (although I

FWIW, MattPage, we already have a thread on Genesis movies, in which I posted my own review of Jacob and Joseph, among others. I am surprised to realize that I completely forgot all about In the Beginning, though. (Then again, only HALF of that film is about Genesis, the other half being about Moses, as you note.)

: . . . Abraham leaving Ur was depicted very much as an Exodus.

Interesting. I really should get around to watching this film some time.

: I was disappointed though that the story skips poor old Isaac’s life I was looking

: forward to seeing something on his young life rather than just him meeting

: Rebecca and then getting conned by Jacob

Well, you have to admit, there isn't a whole lot to tell -- and what there IS, comes off like a rehash of events in the life of Abraham. That kind of recurrence is certainly possible historically, but on a dramatic level, it's kinda dull. (I think the only really "unique" experience Isaac had was that episode with the wells -- which, incidentally, came to mind the first time I saw Lawrence of Arabia and Omar Sharif's first appearance in that film. Some things never change!)

Yeah I was quite keen to see the wells episode. FWIW the story covered neither Isaac or Abraham's unfortunate tendency to pass their spouse off as their sister, so it would have been dramtically acceptable even if it leaves a question mark over authenticity (I would have though though that if this story belonged only to one of these two patriachs then it would be more likely Isaac than Abraham)

Matt

I saw the second half of Samson and Delilah on New Year's day. My brother in Law and I were amused by its billing of a story about a character with "Herculean" strength :s .

It was pretty lame - a few nods to DeMille (like DElilah played as a rich coutesan with leopards prowling around her apartment - a la Mary Magdalene in TKOK)).

It starred Maxvon sydow and Jose Ferrer (I think) as Philistines, but really it was all about showing as much of Samson and delialah's flesh as anything else. Samson had a Mullet, which was amusing, particularly as je's never meant to have had it cut ("here is your nazarit vow you must keep it short on the sides and never have the back cut"). We are also not shown Samson lying to deliah about the secret of his strength, and so she catches him first time, and she doesn't cut his haor very short, just does what any self respecting woman would do if her man had a mullet, and give hima short back and sides.

And when Samson pushed the temple pillars over it wasn't really obvious why everyone died, as they weren't in covered seating (I wondered this about DeMille's too IIRC)

THe film Story of Samson has never really interested me much for some reason.

Matt

Does anyone know what happened to the rest of my post at the top of this thread? I wrote quite a lot more - indeed you can even read a bit of it in a quote from Peter later on - but the rest seems to have disappeared. 

If not has anyone got an idea as to how to get it back? I've tried this thread's URL at web.archive but no joy and the Google cache version is only from October. Any bright ideas?

Matt

There was another thread I noticed recently in which a bunch of older posts were truncated -- and it seems to me they were all cut off at the point where the original posts would have had an apostrophe (possibly a curly one).

I tried a few different versions of the URL at archive.org but couldn't find the original version of this thread. (What a trip down memory lane, though. Back when this site wasn't so buggy and it was clear how everything worked.)

Oh that's a shame. I figured you were probably my best hope. I think this was one of those posts that nudged me along the path to starting my blog and I kinda meant to convert these bits to posts at some stage and never did.

Did any of the admins ever take a back up of the site at all?

Matt