Sign in to follow this  
Joel

Seven Ball Magazine folds...again

I just got an email from editor Jackie Chapman...Seven Ball, a Christian rock magazine which was a boon to me (and I assume at least a few other people) as a teenager in the 90's, has gone down (for at least the second time in its short history) due to lack of funds.

I used to absolutely love this magazine, especially when it was edited by Chris Well, and I have to admit that although I was writing for it for a minute there, it was a shell of its former relevance and "edginess".

Where will Christian teenagers turn now? Is HM any good? More importantly, will they pay me as much per word as Seven Ball did?

Joel, you're the man to start the next vital publication of that nature, aren't you?

Frankly, I just think Paste should come up with a marketing campaign to reach Christian youngsters, since most of the best gospel-oriented music is covered there.

I didn't realize that the second round lasted this long. I thought it failed long ago. Hadn't seen any issues in any stores for years. But once Well was gone, so was I (as a writer). But then I probably did crappy stories and that's why they didn't keep using me after Chris was gone. smile.gif

There was a second round of 7Ball? I never saw a copy at the stores I visited. That was one of my favs in high school.

Sorry to hear that it folded. I would have never discovered 2/3's of the bands I listened to in high school without it.

Joel, you're the man to start the next vital publication of that nature, aren't you?

agreed. and the question then becomes, how much per word will you pay ME to write for your magazine? wink.gif

i have a long and tumultous history with 7ball, as a reader, occasional writer, and friend of the former managing editor. it was important to me as a teenager, and i feel for the editorial team which has had such a rocky road, but overall i can't say i'm sorry to see it go.

Edited by kebbie

Aw shucks guys. As much as those teenagers need a God-ified SPIN, I don't think I could devote so much time to Christian music without eventually resorting to physical violence...and besides, I don't know anything about the kids' favorites these days: "The Kutlasses" or "The Reliable K's" or "Tony Mac" or whoever ....

I don't know anything about the kids' favorites these days: "The Kutlasses" or "The Reliable K's" or "Tony Mac" or whoever ....

Amen, brother. Let the CCM world wither on the vine...

wow, you guys wrote for 7 ball magazine??................ I've got googly, star-struck eyes.

Actually I just wish I had thought of trying to write for them. :P Man, I miss that magazine.

wow, you guys wrote for 7 ball magazine??................ I've got googly, star-struck eyes.

Actually I just wish I had thought of trying to write for them. :P Man, I miss that magazine.

And how on earth did you dig up this thread? Talk about an archelogical dig.

I miss that old rag.  When I set out to found that magazine it was simply because I always felt growing up that nothing ever presented during my youth group years really made an impact. I wanted the magazine to be able to compete artistically and literarily with mainstream music magazines and pop culture. 

Chris Well was my first hire.  In my opinion he remains to this day the best editor in the industry. 

And what a blessing it is to look back all these years and realize by the grace of God a group of young industry rule breakers could be used mightily to influence a generation for Christ. 

Humbled. 

- Frank Chimento, founder 7-ball magazine

Modern Rock On Cue