Sign in to follow this  
Anders

A Sound of Thunder

Just watched a trailer for this one atapple.com and it looks somewhat interesting. I'm curious if anyone (I'm thinking PTC?) has read the original Bradbury short story that this is based on? Also, the trailer was kind of small, but I still think the dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park films look better.

Yeah, it's a classic Bradbury story, from his early anthology The Golden Apples of the Sun. One of the half dozen or so stories that seem to get mentioned the most in conversations, along with I'm thinking "The Crowd," "The Veldt," "The Long Rain." Boy, that guy could spin a yarn. Though it's mostly the atmosphere that I remember, more than plot.

Man, just paging through my Bradbury books to find it evokes a lot of memories.

(But I couldn't find the movie trailer at that site)

Oh yeah, that works.

Clearly they've taken the starting premise essentially as a point of departure, and then cranked up the action etc. No surprise. Probably won't feel much like Bradbury. But hey - Laura Linney doing a British accent? Sign me up!

I read the story for the first time a couple weeks ago, in a book called R is for Rocket. You can also read it here.

FWIW, I also checked out Fahrenheit 451 last week, just to see how at least one other Bradbury movie had turned out. 'Twas interesting, but it had that strained-implausible-gimmick-y thing that has tended to trip me up while watching movies like Gattaca.

And then, for totally unrelated reasons, I was checking out some of the extras on the 'Walt Disney Treasures' Tomorrowland DVD, and what should pop up but a featurette in which Leonard Maltin interviews Ray Bradbury and talks about his association with Disney.

Peter:

I also checked out Fahrenheit 451 last week, just to see how at least one other Bradbury movie had turned out. 'Twas interesting, but it had that strained-implausible-gimmick-y thing that has tended to trip me up while watching movies like Gattaca.

Yeah, I actually turned Fahrenheit 451 off about halfway through. I suppose I just felt like I'd seen this movie too many times before (1984, Brazil, Equilibrium, A Clockwork Orange, and you mentioned Gattaca). Truffaut's film came before any of these though, so I'd probably have stuck with it had I seen it earlier. Of course, Truffaut's done a lot better -- I don't think his strength lies in the sci-fi genre...

...what should pop up but a featurette in which Leonard Maltin interviews Ray Bradbury and talks about his association with Disney.

Which was...?

I followed that link and read the short story.

spoilers1.gif

Definitely interesting. I like the details that Bradbury goes into and how they describe the mission, and it seems pretty plausible. Of course, I'm reminded of "The Simpsons" halloween episode where Homer travels back in time and accidently kills a key link in the evolutionary chain. Though, if there are going to be effects in killing something that small, like the character Travis explains, I would have thought they would be more far reaching that simply different spelling and new government. Hmmm, I wonder how stepping on a butterfly 65 million years ago would affect our election?

As for the film, yeah, I can see this a good jumping off point for a film, though it seems they are going for more the action-adventure mode than the interesting scientific and philosophical implications, ala Paycheck or I, Robot. Too bad. So much great story potential wasted so we can see more mindless action sets.

A quick IMDb search shows that the director of this films previous credits include The Musketeer, End of Days, Timecop (another time travel story), 2010: The Year We Make Contact, and Capricorn One. Doesn't exactly make me hopeful...though I haven't seen the last two and have heard some like them.

First Paycheck and now A Sound of Thunder?!! What's the deal with Hollywood slaughtering my favorite short-stories?! angry.gif

Now a TV miniseries of The Martian Chronicles, OTOH....

Remember how this film's fall release was put off until this spring? (March 11, according to one site I checked a couple months back.) Well, now the IMDB says it's been put off again until December 31 of this year. If true, that means the film's release date will have been postponed for OVER A YEAR by the time the public gets to see it. And apparently it's already been rated, so the film must be FINISHED by now -- this can't just be a case of post-production dragging on longer than anyone expected.

I've got to stop asking my editors if I can review this one for them -- it encourages them to assign those films that actually get RELEASED to other writers...

Laura Linney is NOT in this film.

The film is all about a bunch of people who try to prevent the movie from ever happening, knowing that it will erase their memory of it completely. By the end of the movie, you will wish you could do the same.

Laura Linney is NOT in this film.

The film is all about a bunch of people who try to prevent the movie from ever happening, knowing that it will erase their memory of it completely.  By the end of the movie, you will wish you could do the same.

ZING!!

Oh, and curse whoever is behind this for screwing it up zap.gif