Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Veronica Mars

After about 3 weeks, it's starting to grow on me. There is a bit of outsider/savior a la Buffy about her. There is some back story slowly being revealed about her parents, the murder of her best friend and a few other issues. It may be stretching things for her to be as invovled in investigations as she is, but I'm willing to allow some leeway. I think it has good potential to keep growing.

The bad news was having Paris Hilton on last week.

Edited by Darrel Manson

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Three weeks? Where are you finding it? My local UPN affiliate just seems to show America's Top Model and more America's Top Model... I've only seen the first episode of Veronica sad.gif

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Good review, Darryl. Veronica seems to be on Tuesdays now, and I hope it will stick around long enough for me to catch reruns when we finish our Tuesday-night Alpha course.

Though a lot of shows never get rerun these days. Or else they get rerun all over the place--what (or who) decides?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Got this email today:

You know "Veronica Mars" is the best thing on TV, right? Do your friends know?

Does your family? Are you struggling to find a way to describe the show that

doesn

Edited by Darrel Manson

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I like Veronica Mars quite a bit. Unfortunately, it is in danger of being cancelled. There are all kinds of save our show campaigns out for this program, various online petitions and such. I'm sure they would take all the help they can get.

The good news is that VM has been renewed for a second season. (Let's hope we hear the same for Joan of Arcadia)

More good news--the final episode of season one was quite satisfactory, I thought, with just a little cliffhanger for next time so we'll come back to find out

who's knocking at Veronica's door

. Well, maybe a few more threads left hanging, as well.

No comments here on VM throughout the second and third seasons, which had their ups and downs, but definitely trended up towards the end, IMO, which is why I'm sad to report, according to next week's TV Guide, that "Veronica Mars the show is dead. Veronica Mars the character is not. At least not yet." The CW president was still saying some version of the show might return as of 5/17, but series creator Rob Thomas didn't seem to know anything about it.

One rumor floating around in recent months was that Veronica, who got her official PI license this year and a summer internship at the FBI, would have a whole new show set a few years in the future in which she was studying at the FBI academy. VM fans would watch it, but apparently many, many more people would be watching "Search for the Next Pussycat Doll." Alas (notice my restraint).

The 2-hour season finale had much to recommend it, including Veronica's final

repudiation of the gormless Logan

. Funniest bit of metareference: 3 or 4 product placements crammed into two otherwise gratuitous scenes, topped off by character stating, "So? Rob Thomas is a whore." :lol:

Edited by BethR

My wife and I were pretty avid fans of the series for the first two seasons, my wife especially. But the third season was just one disappointing episode after another. It felt like all of the charm, moxie, and verve that the series had built up was being squandered, episode after episode. The whole Logan/Veronica arc got tedious, Veronica's relationship with her father (one of my fave aspects) was squandered, and so many great characters (Mac, Weevil, and most of all, Wallace) were put on the back burner or practically disappeared altogether.

Being the suckers we are, though, we'll probably pick up the DVDs of season 3, but I have a sinking feeling the final, post-Pussycats episodes won't really redeem the series for us all that much.

BTW, Beth, love the avatar. Thanks to Buffy Season 8, my wife is now getting into comic books.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

BTW, Beth, love the avatar. Thanks to Buffy Season 8, my wife is now getting into comic books.

Thanks! And greetings to your wife from me. Before Buffy Season 8, my only comic book readings were Fray (also Joss Whedon), and from childhood Tintin, Asterix, and the occasional "Classics Illustrated." My parents were extremely strict ;)

Now Rob Thomas says he'd like to follow up with a VM movie.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'd like to see it.

I was more or less prepared to let this show go just a week ago. Yes, the first season was a genuine surprise: fresh, witty, dark, and expertly coreographed. And more importantly, it balanced the razor-sharp cool of a noir detective with a compelling fragility and tenderness, trading nihilistic resignation for familial and friendly devotion.

And okay, the second season sailed through its convoluted, oddly-paced mystery on the strength of its fascinating cast of characters.

But the third season, entertaining though it may have been, lost its way somewhere; I guess the creators tried to adapt to the new surroundings and discovered they were out of their depth. Veronica's hard edge made far less sense without her outsider stigma; Logan and Weevil found themselves reformed with nothing compelling to do; Wallace dispensed the weekly exposition and disappeared; the college sets rarely looked anyting but yellow and bland; and the new characters felt like little more than sketches (except Dean O'Dell, who promptly

got himself killed

). And rather than watch my beloved show regress into romantic angst crowding a loosely-arranged mystery of the week, I was ready to lay it respectably in the ground.

So, naturally, for the season finale, Thomas had to prove he knew exactly what had gone wrong and how to fix it. There's a back-to-basics mentality in that finale: Veronica's saddled with a reputation she doesn't deserve, thus returning her to the outsider figure we fell in love with; Keith's devotion

loses him the sheriff's office --to a corrupt rival who appeals to a corrupt town

; Veronica's tackling corrupt, dangerous people with real power again; her friends are involved in the casework rather than occupying their own soap operas; and Logan's regrown his spine. (It's worth mentioning that I don't necessarily object to a reformed, contemplative Logan, but it's pretty clear to me the writers had no idea how to make him as compelling a good guy as he was an "obligatory psychotic jackass.")

And with all those things back in place, I would have had high hopes for the fourth season-- if it weren't a moot point now. It seems almost cruel to tease us with what could have been when it's never going to come.

Alas, Veronica Mars, you always were smarter than me.

Nathaniel K. Carter

www.nkcarter.com

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books." - C.S. Lewis

How about $2 million?

UPDATE: ‘Veronica Mars’ Movie Zooms Past $2M Kickstarter Goal In 10 Hours; Greenlit For Summer Shoot

It took just 10 hours for Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell‘s Veronica Mars movie to zoom past its Kickstarter goal of $2 million, with a full 30 days to go to raise additional cash on the crowdfunding site. That’s testament to the power of a cult fandom to rally behind a property in an actionable way, even if it has some wary of the precedent it sets for studios entering (and profiting from) the crowdfunding space. Now the ball’s in Warner Bros.’ court to pitch in as Thomas eyes a summer start. I’m told the extent of WB’s involvement thus far will be aiding with distribution, marketing, publicity and legal via Warner Bros. Digital Distribution.

One word: Firefly.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I've seen lots of chatter about this. The issue with Veronica Mars, and I'm sure it's the same with Firefly, was never the production budget. Heck, the casts of both shows offered to front an entire budget with their own cash, if I'm not mistaken. It was always the studios' skepticism about how many fans would shell out for it. I guess because they have to put in a lot of post-production money toward marketing.

Serenity has that huge SFX budget though......

Looks good to me. The scenes with Dick were probably my favorite. And hopefully Wallace will have a nice, solid role in the film -- he was by far one of my favorite characters.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook