opus

Katy Perry

http://blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=1061

My fave quotes:

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I liked how one person on the Derek Webb board put it:

From CCM to slutty attention-whore in two short years!

But yeah, this is pretty sad. At first I thought it was someone different, until I saw an older picture of her and then realized it was the same girl.

Sheese. I'm hoping she'll wake up at some point and realize what she's doing to herself.

I don't think she is doing a 360.

It is not much different than selling an image for the CCM industry.

She likes extremes.

Yeah, does Top 40 really need another Avril/Kelly Clarkson/Evanescence wannabee though?

But on the other hand, any time someone leaves CCM, I applaud no matter what their intentions are for their future...uhhh...expect for Jessica Simpson.

Katy Amazon Sample Tracks

Edited by run

Did anyone here actually listen to her CCM disc? I barely made it through the disc -- and I usually like her type of music. Painful.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

this makes me so so sad...

who are we to judge?

and its so funny that on little to no evidence some people are so quick to make comments about our fellow sister-in-christ's life...

take the plank out of your own eye before you dare look at the sliver in katy's.

i've known katy personally for more than 6 years now and yes, she is full of energy and excitement and loves life to the fullest, she is not any of the things you all are saying.

i'm sad for you fellow brothers and sisters in christ.

so so sad.

i've known katy personally for more than 6 years now and yes, she is full of energy and excitement and loves life to the fullest, she is not any of the things you all are saying.

From the Blender article (linked to in the first post), Katy in her own words:

It's almost sickening how she duped a lot of people. I thought she was fake, seriously. You look back at what she said, did, and wore while a "Christian" artist and it's no surprise that she did a 180.

It's also no surprise that she changed her name. I think if I wanted to leave my integrity behind (and my clothes) I'd change my name too.

The truth is, she's probably someone who cries herself to sleep at night and wonders who she really is. I feel bad for her. The fact that she dresses immodestly makes the point that she lacks self confidence in her talent. The fact that she made such a huge life swap in two short years shows that she had to grow up way to fast in the spotlight.

I hope that one day she really does find God.

So she came from a home that equated music with sin, went into the CCM circuit, discovered that image was everything (as opposed to substance of spirit) and figured if that was the case then she might as well go all out. That's hardly surprising.

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

I agree. Also, if her description of her growing up is not hyperbole and exaggeration, then this is a matter of going from one extreme to another and I can sympathise with that. I did it myself.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I hope that one day she really does find God.

That seems like a slightly uncalled for statement. Maybe MissAlyss06 should trying reading the scriptures. Because in there she will find that some of those whom the religious establishment thought were far away from God were closer than those who were normally considered closet.

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

That was not meant in a judgmental way. That was sincere. If she really did know God, how faithful He is, how merciful and satisfying He is, she wouldn't be working so hard to chase down the things of the world. I'm sorry if that came off harsh, but it was purely sincere.

As for me reading the scriptures, I do, everyday, and I honestly believe that she wouldn't be in the state she's in if she knew the Jesus I read about. He's so genuine, which is something that everyone is searching for, no?

No one doubts your sincerity, MissAlyss, but you seem to be passing judgment on things you couldn't possibly know. Unless you are Katy's roommate, you don't know whether she cries herself to sleep at night. Unless you are her therapist or her performance coach, you don't know whether she lacks confidence in her talent. (Madonna dressed like a sleaze too, but I doubt anyone would say it was because she lacked confidence.) Unless you are Katy's manager, you don't know why she left Christian music. Unless you are her spiritual confidante, you don't know the status of her relationship with God.

If, instead of trying to infer Katy's motives, you confine your remarks to observable phenomena, you won't come across as so judgmental.

I sure wish wendelah would drop back in and give SZPT some good answers.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

That was not meant in a judgmental way. That was sincere. If she really did know God, how faithful He is, how merciful and satisfying He is, she wouldn't be working so hard to chase down the things of the world.

Right here. This is just about the toughest aspect of one's relationship to God to get right. After more than 30 years of struggle, I have begun to understand what you are talking about here. Perry's just a kid. Give her time.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I know this is an extremely old thread, but I feel inclined to offer my own 2 cents. After reading everyone's responses, I have to say that I am personally ashamed of the judgements I've made on other artists--Christian and non-Christian. Sadly, I never realized the extent of my own judgementalism until it hit close to home.

None of you has the right to judge Katy--based on an article or things she's done or said or her music, etc. It's not your place to judge--PERIOD. You don't know what her life has been like or what she's gone through or what she's seen. At a very young age she was exposed to things that you probably never have--or at least perhaps never were at her age. Certain decisions (like the name change) have absolutely *nothing* to do with her shame or an image that is being created for her. (incidentally, she went from Katy Hudson to Katy Perry because of confusion between her name and that of Kate Hudson, the actress--Katy has also dabbled in acting, btw). You might be shocked to find that many of the Christian artists that you approve of actually lead "double" lives. You never know what is going on in someone's heart--that is between them and God.

I hope that you take a close look at your own hypocrisy before you point fingers at others.

Welcome to the board, openmind. I hope this isn't a drive-by on your part.

None of you has the right to judge Katy--based on an article or things she's done or said or her music, etc.

I guess that depends on what you mean by judgment. Yes, we should try to avoid drawing inferences about Katy or her motives on the basis of one article, but we absolutely do have the right to evaluate what she says in the article.

It's not your place to judge--PERIOD.
Well, then it's not your place to judge us, PERIOD, either. But obviously it's not as simple as that.
You don't know what her life has been like or what she's gone through or what she's seen. At a very young age she was exposed to things that you probably never have--or at least perhaps never were at her age.

Then we should all hope and pray for her healing, while suggesting that acting out through a "wild child" persona is not generally known to be a good way to achieve such healing. Having gone through a lot of crap might explain bad behavior, but it doesn't excuse it.

You might be shocked to find that many of the Christian artists that you approve of actually lead "double" lives.
Someone on this board approved of a Christian artist? I must have missed that. But anyway, to quote a line from a favorite play, See How They Run, "We might be shocked, but we wouldn't be surprised."
You never know what is going on in someone's heart--that is between them and God.

Ah, but we do know what is going on in the Blender article. If you have evidence that the article misrepresented Katy, feel free to set the record straight.

I hope that you take a close look at your own hypocrisy before you point fingers at others.

But how do you know that anyone posting in this thread is a hypocrite? Aren't you being judgmental when you say that?

And anyway, what's wrong with one hypocrite calling out another hypocrite? Doesn't it take one to recognize one?

Edited by mrmando

Mr. Mando,

Being a former journalist myself, I know how easy it is for others to misread what is written about the subject of interviews. It's just as easy as it is to misread what people write on the internet, or in letters, etc. You don't know Katy. I think that people were misreading some of the things she said--such as, "I'll do anything for attention." Above all, Katy is an extremely outgoing, effervescent person. She's "the life of the party" and I mean that in the best way. She's ALWAYS been like that. It has nothing to do with her "acting out" as some have suggested. She's a NORMAL girl. I don't know what you all expect of her, but like I said--you don't know anything about her personal life, and a couple of quotes from Blender can't tell you her personal story. Incidentally, for those that have said that she's using the whole "PK gone wild" angle for publicity, did you ever stop to think that she was only responding to questions asked of her? It's known that she was a Christian artist, and the media is going to question her about that, and about her upbringing. I don't think she was just offering information to be controversial. You also don't understand her humor. She's sarcastic and witty. I'm sure she was being funny in some of her responses, but that doesn't come across in black and white print the same way it would in person. She's a great girl. Give her a break.

I think that people were misreading some of the things she said--such as, "I'll do anything for attention."

That's the sort of statement that leaves itself open to almost any reading! Just like "I've done a lot of bad stuff ... use your imagination."

I don't know what you all expect of her,
A more salient question might be what she expects of us. By that I mean, when one poses for certain types of pictures for a Blender article, and then gives flippant, open-ended answers to interview questions, what sort of conclusions does one honestly expect the public to draw?
but like I said--you don't know anything about her personal life, and a couple of quotes from Blender can't tell you her personal story.

I agree. You see, then, how important it becomes to honestly represent oneself when talking to the media, and not to blow off the interview by giving answers that are not serious and don't show who one really is. An article like that will give thousands of people their first impression of Katy ... and if it's an impression they don't like, they probably won't bother to learn anything else about her. The end result is a bunch of people walking around with a mistaken impression. Now, if her personal life is something she thinks we need to know about, she can write about it on her MySpace page or something. If, on the other hand, she doesn't care what people think of her, then the question becomes why you care so much about it.

Incidentally, for those that have said that she's using the whole "PK gone wild" angle for publicity, did you ever stop to think that she was only responding to questions asked of her?
Um, answering interview questions is part of doing publicity; it's one of the ways musicians project a certain image. If Katy didn't understand that when she did the Blender interview, perhaps she understands it better now.
You also don't understand her humor. She's sarcastic and witty. I'm sure she was being funny in some of her responses, but that doesn't come across in black and white print the same way it would in person.

Yes, if one reads the interview with that in mind, one can put a sort of sarcastic construction on nearly everything she says. You're right, that doesn't necessarily come across in print. One more reason she should perhaps spend some time learning how to approach interviews more seriously. I'm sure her PR people can help her with that. Or, if they're the ones telling her to say such things in interviews, then perhaps she needs a new agency.

I care because I think that a lot of posters on this thread are being unreasonably judgemental and harsh based on a very, very small and edited article in Blender. (the pictures were tasteful, btw). I don't think you really understand how interviews go. The journalist asks pointed questions, the interviewee answers, the journalist then edits the interview and composes an article giving it the slant that THEY want it to have. The artist/interviewee has no artistic control over what the journalist writes or what the end result will be. Also, basing one's impression of somebody on one article is pretty narrow-minded, imo.

& Frankly, if she's in a time of exploring herself and her freedom as a young adult, then why are some of you so put off by that?

Well, I respectfully disagree. There is exactly one post in this thread, by MissAlyss06, that goes well beyond the Blender article and starts making judgments about Katy's personal life. That post was over the line, and you'll see that I took the poster to task for it. So there are not a lot of posters on this thread being unreasonably judgmental and harsh. Just one.

As a journalist who's conducted numerous interviews, I think I have a pretty good idea of how they go. If I interviewed someone who gave the answers Katy did, I'd be tempted to treat her with even less respect than she got in the Blender article. I've interviewed people who had their talking points pretty well mapped out, and other people who talked more off the cuff, but I've never had a subject who seemed to care as little about the process or its outcome as your friend did, judging from the answers she gave. And if you thought the pictures were "tasteful," well ... sometimes there's no accounting for taste.

It's simply not true that the interviewee has no control over the process. The interviewee assumes that there will be some connection between what she says and what gets printed. There's also a little thing called libel law, which allows subjects to obtain corrections and/or monetary damages if they are misrepresented by journalists in a way that harms their reputation. (I could also appeal to journalistic ethics, but this is Blender we're talking about.) Again, if your friend didn't actually say those things

Edited by mrmando

I think everyone is blowing up over something that should just be nodded at and passed over. Everyone goes through thier own little "walking away" period and we can only hope and pray that she comes back, but even if she doesn't I don't think she's condemned herself to hell after one interview and a couple of songs.

We all know there have been far worse artists who have done far worse things (and I know no sin is greater than any other) and still called themselves Christians.

I personally believe that we have NO RIGHT to judge her, because we sin on a daily basis (once again, ye without, cast first stone) and just because she sins in the light and we in the shadows doesn't make our sin any less sinful. The bible says, God says, he will have mercy on whom he pleases, so we can't say she's not going to heaven, we can't say she's doing wrong, we can't be judges, we can assume, and we can speculate, but at the end of the day, we know no more than anyone esle in this world. What sets us apart is the fact that we have faith that we know more, but if faith is all, then science is just as right, cause I'm sure they have just as much faith.

REGARDLESS, I don't really think its right to keep bashing this young lady, I'm dancing on pins and needles trying to figure out what her angle is and I think its growing up, and maybe she'll do just that. And hopefully she'll do it in Christ.

~son of sam

Boy, Katy sure seems to have a lot of friends who enjoy drive-by posting, eh? Kind of funny that someone who had supposedly been judged so prematurely based on a Blender article that must have been taken out of context is now making her own statement with the song "I kissed a girl" on the album that's got her posing as Lolita. Those early perceptions were SO off-base, eh? Or maybe she accidentally took herself out of context on the album? :lol:

Edited by popechild

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

I personally believe that we have NO RIGHT to judge her,

Ah, but you have every right to judge people posting in this thread!

KP seems a little more down to earth in this interview. But you gotta love the maturity displayed by her fans in the comments posted there:

her music rocks and anyone who doesnt like her can just shut up. no one cares what you have to say.

Preach it!

Edited by mrmando