Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Hal Hartley short films on DVD

9 posts in this topic

What Ever Happened to Hal Hartley?

"I remember a magazine wanted to do a big photo spread with a bunch of us -- Todd Haynes, Gus Van Sant, six or seven of us -- the new indies," recalls New York's onetime next-great-auteur, seated at a long wooden table in the living room of his nearly empty West Village apartment. "Maybe I was just an asshole, but I refused to do it." Back in the early nineties, Hartley could shrug off that kind of attention. . . . But since 1997, either Hartley's left his audience, or his audience has left him.

New York Magazine, February 7

Thanks, Peter. Yes, whatever did happen to Hal Hartley? Can't wait to read the article.

And I'm sure intrigued by soon. Theatre piece, eh? Hmmm....

Well "Book of Life" was certainly post 1997.

Matt

MattPage wrote:

: Well "Book of Life" was certainly post 1997.

Yes, the article cites that and No Such Thing as examples of how Hartley may have lost his mojo, at least where critical acclaim and audience reception are concerned.

I wonder if it'll have his film school projects on it...

I'm glad Martin Donovan kept going--but I must admit I like his stuff in Hartley's films the best.

Couldn't find a better thread for this so, for what it's worth: Hal Hartley's The Unbelievable Truth is currently available on blu-ray at Amazon for only $15. I've been waiting for the price to come down, and it just dropped 49%.

Also couldn't find a better place for this, but for Hal Hartley fans, the Amazon series Red Oaks is worth a peek. He directs half of the episodes in Season 2 - and the first one of the season is pretty darn good.