Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Thomas Kinkade

112 posts in this topic

Think about it - if you're an American, can you call to mind a mental image of a person who would have pink flamingo statues and lawn gnomes on their front yard? Perhaps a wooden cutout that resembles the backside of a heavyset woman bending over to do her gardening? Call that person to mind, now go inside their home. Would you be surprised to find a Kinkade painting in their home?

Yes. Those folks are more of the velvet-Elvis type.

And hey, my yard contains both a gnome and a gargoyle, so you better watch out.

Rest in Peace, brother. And may flights of angels attend you to your rest.

Sci-fi and comic buffs might find this interesting: Two of Kinkade's old roommates/neighbours have posted some of their memories of living with him back when they are all nobodies:

Paul Chadwick (creator of Concrete, etc.).

Mark Verheiden (writer of the original Dark Horse Aliens comic mini-series; co-executive producer and/or consulting producer of Heroes, Falling Skies, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica, etc.).

even art:21 has blogged about kinkade's passing...

Greg Wolfe's Kinkade essay, "Art in a Fallen World," is on the Wall Street Journal. It's worth reading, even (or especially) if you're not a big fan of Kinkade's paintings.

Yes! I read the Wolfe piece. At the risk of sounding like an shill for our sponsering institution, I must say that I was impressed by the subtle technique of making clear disagreement and negative judgement of the subject's work without slamming the (dead) subject. If only I were capable of such eulogizing.

I wish I still had the link, but I found a hedious AP report of kinkades death last weekend that essentially slammed Kincaide by sharkily talking down to his fans as a way of explaining Kincaide's appeal and success. What a contrast between Wolfe and that AP bird.

Having skimmed some of the way earlier posts, some have expressed delight in Kincaide's early work. Are their links to such stuff?

Having skimmed some of the way earlier posts, some have expressed delight in Kincaide's early work. Are their links to such stuff?

You mean like this?

WOW. The difference is startling. Of the first two paintings, side by side. The author's point is obvious before I even read the text. I suppose that my only reservation on the old stuff is, why the infernal 19th c., or early 20? Or is that just a way to demonstrate the point?

On the San Fransisco theme, the newer painting does the streetcar as a cartoon.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Here's my observation. If you were the only one on Earth, you would never be at a loss for someone to argue with.

"Michae1": You registered at A&F this week…and your first post is what reads like an ill-advised snarky comment…about an 8-year-old post…by one of this board's most thoughtful veterans?

I sure hope that was either a drive-by, or that you improve fast.

For what it's worth, I didn't take Michael's post as a slam. I'm of two minds, and so I argue with myself. It's an accurate observation, I think. But maybe I'm just in a magnanimous mood. :)