Interpretive Dance

Guest Russell Lucas

I am part of an Improv troupe that plays a game called foriegn poet. One actor speaks a "Foriegn Language", basically just gibberish while another actor translates the poem. We also add an interpretive dancer in there. I usually get to be the dancer becase I am very large and the last person anyone would pick to be a dancer of any kind.

Exagerate the essential. Leave the obvious vague. ---Vincent Van Gogh

It's interesting timing that you should ask now, but i just did an interpretive dance on a darkened stage in front of a few hundred people last April. I did it to one of the tunes from "Pictures at an Exhibition," i believe the composer is Rimsky-Korsakov. I danced so hard and with such fierce power that i ached for several days afterwards. My stage presence was amazing -- i was a drama queen in full force. I was the night, and the night was my lover. Some in the crowd were terrified, others filled with a sense of displacement, giving them subtle unconscious shifty emotions, while even still, there were others who consciously wept without the ability to explain why.

My gal and twenty or so teenagers laughed harder than i'd ever seen. :mrgreen:

-s.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I thought Mussorgsky did "Night on Bald Mountain." Maybe i get the two confused, i used to have a CD that had both tunes on it so the confusion most likely lies therein.

It was the one that starts out with a trumpet going,

"Dah Dah Dah, dada Dah, dada Dah, Dah Dah Dah Dah....."

E D G

A D B

A D B

G A E D

And then they repeat that theme over and over.

-s.

Stef. You have got to be kidding.

M - you were invited, don't you remember? That was the night i was supposed to get my head shaved, too, but they had mercy on me and didn't go that far.

No, you sicko Russell, there was nothing like that involved. However, if it would bring your Maria Falconetti to life, i would dress up in women's clothes. Yeah, I'd do just about anything. I think she misses her Eraserhead, but what can one do? Life changes.

-s.

They didn't call it interpretive dance, but I swear the two were siamese twins... In my postmodernist theory class in college we had to do two presentations per semester, and one group did a report on "postmodern dance." It was...crazy. They showed a video and it was one of the most simultaneously horrifying and hilarious things I've ever seen. Ack, the memory is resurfacing! Make it stop! Nooooo!

What Stef is neglecting to tell everyone is that he also wore lime green tights and a pink tutu.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

What Stef is neglecting to tell everyone is that he also wore lime green tights and a pink tutu.

You know, you people are all sickos. There's nothing wrong with a man whose lover is the dance of the night.

etpetra, did it look like this?? :P

[]WWW.IMAGE NO LONGER WORKING[]

Edited by stef

It didn't look like that. I'm sad to say it was far, far worse. One of the examples on the tape (the name of which I have thoroughly blocked out, refuse to remember, and probably never know -- I mean, it was for class!) was of a guy in a white tights/leotard combo who danced (i.e. performed strange non-rhythmic movements and pseudogymnastics) while someone else read aloud ... I can't remember the piece that was read, but it sounded like a 17th century report by a religious official, or a diary of some sort. The reading and the movements did not match up in any way. A ways into the "dance," a girl dressed up as an elf (maybe? couldn't tell) joined in, also apparently unrelated to anything else going on. It was like visual goulash. Really, I think the worst part was the guy in the white spandex.

It was like visual goulash.

LOL!! :lol: That was the best term i've heard since my own "imploding in reverse." I think it's what i was aiming for with my own interpretive dance, too. I'll have to remember that term for next year.

-s.

Edited by stef

You know, you people are all sickos.  There's nothing wrong with a man whose lover is the dance of the night.

there is nothing wrong with night lovers, aren't they color blind ;)

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

sorry, just trying to break in the new board with style!! :P

Edited by stef

sorry, just trying to break in the new board with style!!  :P

Stef, tell them about your next interpretive dance piece. It's entitled, Agnes of God on Ice. It'll melt your preconceived notions about Modern-day Immaculate Conceptions.

My most difficult chapel in college was when an interpretive dancer came. As he flitted around the stage in a red unitard, flinging banners behind him, my roommate and I almost had to leave, we were choking so hard trying to keep from laughing. He then gave his testimony, that he had been a wild child until he was saved and decided to devote his life to God as a mime and interpretive dancer. We thought really hard about that one.

www.TheFilmForum.com -- Christian conversation about the movies

www.AmandaLCaldwell.com -- ALC Editing Services

The difficulty with dance is that it is perhaps the most demanding of all the performing arts, and tolerates errors the least.

All I'm trying to say is: Give dance a chance.

I don't have a problem with dance. I take ballet classes. It's just that I'm smart enough not to perform.

www.TheFilmForum.com -- Christian conversation about the movies

www.AmandaLCaldwell.com -- ALC Editing Services

I have one more story about my experience with interpretive dance to share. It's from my travels in Finland and it's almost as good as imagining me in a leotard. But i'm late for C-stone... will have to share it when i get back.

-s.

My most difficult chapel in college was when an interpretive dancer came. As he flitted around the stage in a red unitard, flinging banners behind him, my roommate and I almost had to leave, we were choking so hard trying to keep from laughing. He then gave his testimony, that he had been a wild child until he was saved and decided to devote his life to God as a mime and interpretive dancer. We thought really hard about that one.

Oh, flashback to an extrememly funny church memory! Maybe it was the same guy? When I was a youngster, my church let a mime/dancer perform a piece about an alcoholic's path to salvation. Picture someone hurling himself across the pulpit drinking from an invisible bottle, arms and legs akimbo, then dissolving into an overwrought heap on the floor as the weight of his sin and addiction come crashing down on him. I don't know how my sister and I made it through that demonstration. He was never asked to perform again, and the event is still referred to in my family as "the mime incident."

Just to give props where due: Dan, that was absolutely hilarious. My heart melts... I've personally never been able to take Agnes seriously. Maybe I've just never seen a good eprformance. So, in my mind, I'm transfering this overwrought silliness to the ice and a Top40 soundtrack booming through the spotlights. Be still, my heart.

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

Just to give props where due: Dan, that was absolutely hilarious. My heart melts... I've personally never been able to take Agnes seriously. Maybe I've just never seen a good eprformance. So, in my mind, I'm transfering this overwrought silliness to the ice and a Top40 soundtrack booming through the spotlights. Be still, my heart.

I appreciate the props brutha man. ;) I adapted a local comedy group's title "Equus on Ice" and made it my own joke.

I feel a need to speak on in defense of dance.

All I'm trying to say is: Give dance a chance.

You're right, there are forms of dance that can be quite moving. I don't think "interpretive dance" -- in the swishy peasant skirt / full body leotard sense -- is able to evoke that emotional response in its audience. I really think the bum rap is due to performers/choreographers who were lazy about their medium.

Having said that... I have to admit... I made a foray into interpretive dance. But just the one time! And there were no leotards! I swear!

Originally posted by Stef:

I thought Mussorgsky did "Night on Bald Mountain." Maybe i get the two confused, i used to have a CD that had both tunes on it so the confusion most likely lies therein.

He did both. Two tunes in one lifetime. Impressive, eh? wink.gif

It was the one that starts out with a trumpet going,

"Dah Dah Dah, dada Dah, dada Dah, Dah Dah Dah Dah....."

E D G

A D B

A D B

G A E D

And then they repeat that theme over and over.

Would you believe I knew which movement you were talking about from that appalling rendition you offered? The Great Gate of Kiev, I believe.

Drop by The Grace Pages, a rest-stop for fellow pilgrims.

-- Dave aka Alvy

• 2 weeks later...

OH! i almost forgot about this thread! I somehow thought it was one of the ones that blew up before. Too bad for some of you that wish it had.

I just remembered, it wasn't the appalling Great Gate of Kiev but the part right after that where all the strings go thumpthumpthumpthumpt thumpt hum[ thump. And then the piccolo or something goes DOO DOO, DOO DOO, DOO DOO, DOO DOO, DOO DOO, dOO DOO...

The DOOs are something like:

BA

G Fsharp, DC

BA

G Fsharp, DC

and then these really loud farty horns go off, real obnoxious stuff, great for ID. (interpretive dance)

That was the actual pc i danced. And i still owe you a Finish story. But it's too late for that now. Later gaters

-s.