Sign in to follow this  
Jason Bortz

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Title:      Indiana Jones 4

Log line: Adventures of the swashbuckling archaeologist.

Writer:  Jeff Nathanson

Agent:    Andrew Cannava of UTA

Buyer:    Paramount Pictures

Price:      n/a

Genre:    Adventure

Logged:  10/27/04

More:      George Lucas will produce.  Steven Spielberg will direct.  Harrison Ford will star.  First set up in May 2002.

Source here.

First set up in May 2002.

??? Does this mean that Nathanson has been on the project since this date ???

And isn't this the guy who wrote Rush Hour 2 and Speed 2: Cruise Control? His track record on writing action movie sequels is not the greatest IMHO.

Wooohooo... my total posts = my registered user #. Next thing to crack is that "1% of board posts".

Wow. That's a fascinating page for SO MANY reasons.

The Odyssey, huh? I'm thinking... hmmmm... SEAN BEAN????

Silent Hill?! Wolverine?!

-s.

Edited by stef

Title:      Four Brothers

Log line: Four adopted brothers come together to bury the woman who raised them. At the funeral, the brothers discover that their mother may have been murdered and they want revenge.

This sounds a bit like The Sons of Katie Elder, no?

Silent Hill?! Wolverine?!

Oh, yeah. You didn't know about those two films?

Apparently Jackman has already signed on to star in the Wolverine spin off film.

Hmmm som interesting titles. Odysseus & A new version of Jason and the Arganauts confirms the Epic's comeback. The A team & He-man are both cashing in on the 80snostalghia Gen X buck, sure to be with different results (although both will suck, the A-team will never be better than the original, whereas He-Man can't fail on that score - particularly anyone who witnesses the Dolph Lungren film as well) Oh and actually Miami Vice and Dallas too?

Goodbye Dali sounds interesting, and All you need is love is sure to have the most expensive soundtrack ever one would imagine.

And um Hip Hop Nanny? ::vomit::

Matt

Nathanson is a fairly recent addition to this process, the first draft was written by Frank Darabond. Spielberg liked it, Lucas didn't. Let's just thank our lucky stars that Lucas didn't decide to rewrite it himself...

Phil.

Nathanson is a fairly recent addition to this process, the first draft was written by Frank Darabond. Spielberg liked it, Lucas didn't. Let's just thank our lucky stars that Lucas didn't decide to rewrite it himself...

Part of my confusion over this is that the linked site that Jason provided seems to indicate that Nathanson's script has been completed, perhaps going through a polishing process... while other sources yesterday are running the story as if Nathanson had just been hired, and is only now writing the new Indy story.

AFP story here.

E! Online story here.

Part of my confusion over this is that the linked site that Jason provided seems to indicate that Nathanson's script has been completed, perhaps going through a polishing process...  while other sources yesterday are running the story as if Nathanson had just been hired, and is only now writing the new Indy story.

Nope--Done Deal merely cites properties that have been sold.

You can sell a spec script when it comes down to it. It's likely Nathanson completed a treatment that they (Lucas et al.) finally agreed upon and is in the writing process.

Other scripts on there have been floating around for years (hence the 'First Set Up' clause) and only now are being greenlighted for production, whether due to revisions, new writers, or 'timing'--it's anybody's guess.

Nothing to do with Indy IV, but other script sales and developments were being mentioned on this thread.

Now here's a screen credit that would elicit a huge laugh from me if I ever saw it... "Loosely Based on a Book Proposal by..." Read on...

Nov. 11, 2004

'Blackbird' singing for Maguire, Col

Tobey Maguire is taking flight to produce with an eye to star in "Blackbird," a thriller that David Auburn will write for Columbia Pictures. "Blackbird" will be loosely based on a book proposal by Eric Olson titled "Through the Glass Darkly," which has been set up at Regan Books. Olson's father worked for the CIA when the agency performed LSD experiments in the 1960s and later died under mysterious circumstances. For 20 years, Olson's family believed he committed suicide. When Olson found out that his father was given LSD by his employers a week before his death, he was compelled to investigate what happened. Mark Ross will oversee for Maguire Entertainment, while Rachel O'Connor and Matt Tolmach will oversee for Columbia.

The renewed interest in this thread got me browsing scriptsales.com again. Aside from a ton of terrible-sounding movies (one starring Fred Durst?!) and a couple interesting ones, I found this:

Title:        The Second Coming

Log Line:  An archeological dig uncovers the bloody crown of thorns worn by Jesus Christ in his final hours. Secretly, religious leaders break with dogma to clone a new savior. When their plan comes into doubt, the new Messiah must run for his life. Hiding amongst the homeless, he inadvertently finds a new flock, and the world comes face to face with a new destiny.

Writer:      Joseph Calabrese

Agent:      Mngmnt. firm GoGo Films

Buyer:      Willfilm Productions, Inc.

Price:        n/a

Genre:      Drama

Logged:    5/18/05

More:        Willfilm Productions, Inc. will produce.  The script was a Slamdance SlamFi (Science Fiction Screenwriting) Award winner.

Interesting.

Edit: And another interesting one....

Title:        Bathory

Log Line:  Centers on Elizabeth Bathory, who inspired many a vampire myth with sadistic rituals that included bathing in the blood of virgins.

Writer:      Julie Delpy

Agent:      Craig Shapiro of Innovative Artists and atty. Craig Emanuel of Loeb & Loeb

Buyer:      Bauer Martinez

Price:      n/a

Genre:      Drama

Logged:    5/17/05

More:      Julie Delpy will direct as well.  Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy will star.

An alternate take on Before Sunrise I guess. Sorry this is all so offtopic, but it's so interesting!

Edited by theoddone33

The writing at Cinematical sucks -- far too many items begin with the writer talking all about me, me, me -- but there are still some interesting rumours here, gleaned from a recent NYC screening of Raiders at which Karen Allen did a Q&A.

Interesting indeed. FWIW, I'm more interested in the potential for Allen to return than Capshaw or even the appearance of Portman. She (Allan) was the only Indy girl that seemed really to connect with Indy himself.

(I trust since none of this is confirmed, the potentialities do not count as spoilers? If they do, I shall dutifully black 'em out).

So . . . does that mean that they'll need to get to Indiana Jones: Part 6 before they get it right?

Okay... my Google News Alert just sent me a link to a site called SoFeminine.

And it says there ...

The temporary title for the new project is Indiana Jones and the Ravaged Times. It will be produced by Steven Spielberg and production is expected to start in 2008.

I googled that title, and found that it shows up on a French site as well.

OKAY. So, you read it here first!

You read that prepostrous title, which probably isn't anything close to the truth, here first!

Frank Darabont reminds me of why I decided years ago that I could never ever be a screenwriter.

- - -

INDIANA JONES AND THE WASTED SCREENPLAY

Q: How difficult is it when someone takes a script of yours and then never makes it? I'm thinking of the whole Indiana Jones thing.

Darabont: That was the most frustrating of all, and that was the straw that broke the back of me wanting to continue in that line of work. That was terrifically frustrating. I worked for over a year on that; I worked very close with Steven Spielberg. He was ecstatic with the result and was ready to shoot it two years ago. He was very, very happy with the script and said it was the best draft of anything since Raiders of the Lost Ark. That's really high praise and gave me a real sense of accomplishment, especially when you love the material you're working on as much as I love the Indiana Jones films.

And then you have George Lucas read it and say, 'Yeah, I don't think so, I don't like it.' And then he resets it to zero when Spielberg is ready to shoot it that coming year, [which] is a real kick to the nuts. You can only waste so much time and so many years of your life on experiences like that, you can only get so emotionally invested and have the rug pulled out from under you before you say enough of that.

CHUD.com, November 6

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Forgive me if I have already made these points in this or other threads, but I just sent this e-mail to a few people, in response to the question of whether Harrison Ford might be too old for the role, and figured it was worth re-posting here:

- - -

It's not just the *age* of Indy that complicates matters; it's also the question of *when* the movie will take place. The first three films, made between 1981 and 1989, all take place between 1935 and 1938 (although, to complicate matters even further, this does not mean that the actor aged 8 years while the character aged 3 years, because Temple of Doom is a prequel! -- so the actor aged only 5 years between the 1935 movie and the 1938 movie; but I digress). So if Indy is roughly 20 years older, then this film must take place in the 1950s. And the world of the 1950s is a very, very different place than the world of the 1930s; the Nazis are gone, the British Empire (seen in Temple of Doom) is gone.

FWIW, I have never seen The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but according to the timeline below, one of the episodes there revealed that Indy was born on July 1, 1899. This would make him 13 in 1912, which is when the Last Crusade prologue (in which he is played by the 18-year-old River Phoenix) takes place. (Hey, if 13-year-old Edward Furlong can play 10-year-old John Connor...) It would also mean that Indy was about 36 when Temple of Doom took place (Harrison Ford turned 41 during filming), 37 when Raiders of the Lost Ark took place (Ford turned 38 during filming, which is just about right), and 39 when Last Crusade took place (Ford turned 46 around the time principal photography was completed).

http://www.innermind.com/youngindy/info/indy.htm

Harrison Ford has played Indiana Jones on one other occasion, in 1993, for the framing narrative in an episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. (In all the other episodes, the framing narratives basically take place "today", i.e. 1992-1993, and concern a much older version of Indiana Jones, who was played by George Hall, who was born in 1916.)

The age and timing issues surrounding Ford's appearance in the TV show are a bit tricky. The IMDB says he played Indiana Jones at the age of 50, which was Ford's real-life age at that time; however the timeline I linked to above says the framing narrative for this episode takes place in 1951, which would be the year Indy turned 52, according to that timeline.

At any rate, if this new film is going to take place when Indiana Jones is the same age that Harrison Ford is now -- and if Harrison Ford turns 65 this summer, around the time that shooting begins -- then this film would *actually* seem to take place in the mid-1960s. The mid-1960s!

The original movies were nostalgia trips to the days of Saturday-matinee serials. What could this new film *possibly* have in common with that!?

That, to me, is the crucial issue here, much more than Ford's age.

Oh well, maybe this film will show us how Indy got that eye-patch that he has in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Or how he got that daughter whose family he is apparently living with in the early 1990s.