Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

Hannibal Rising

Thomas Harris' publishers have announced the title (a perverse joke, I'm guessing)... Behind the Mask, the story of how Hannibal Lecter developed his appetite for evil... which I thought was covered fairly extensively in the novel Hannibal. Of course my first thought was of VH1's "Behind the Music". I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'm pretty much over the whole Hannibal Lecter legacy. I'd have hoped that Harris would return to his roots, and do an updated story on terrorism. Black Sunday is still my favorite of his novels.

Full story here.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

I notice that they claim Dino DeLaurentiis has already snagged the rights. If this is the same project which DeLaurentiis was developing a few years back (when names like Jude Law and even Macaulay Culkin were bandied about) then we can expect the book to follow Hannibal at certain key ages during his youth, from pre teens to late twenties.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'm pretty much over the whole Hannibal Lecter legacy.

I hear ya. Hannibal worked well as a device for Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs because he was an enigma, an unknown quantity in each individual investigation. Hannibal just about got away with being deliciously over-indulgent and excessive. But I don't see what BtM can add to this party.

Phil.

Personally, I welcome any more Hannibal material. He belongs in the popular imagination and it is a sign of our times that he still fascinates so many (myself included). Sequels are fitting for such a monumental character, although I am a little dubious as to the prequel premise. Not sure you can explain him without reduction. Although I think that Harris dealt with this quite nicely in Hannibal. His past may have given us an insight into his actions but not justification and yet Harris managed to avoid the cause/effect character motivation cliches by being respectful of Hannibal's intelligence. What was exciting to me was that he had the potential for redemption, or perhaps a means of incorporating his childhood trauma into a non-life defining event would be a better way of describing it. It was also very nice to see Hannibal's weaknesses in this book. Not simply sharp, analytical, witty, charismatic, and sadistic, but also tortured. This is a side I would personally like to see more of. So bring it on! is what I say.

Fineally a through explenation of what makes Hanible Hannable whoo hoo!! cant wait to read it.

Aaron, this is off-topic, but I gotta ask: What's with the inconsistent spelling in your posts? Do you do this for fun? Or are you just a really fast typist?

*Fineally=Finally

through=thorough

explenation=explanation

Hanible=Hannibal

Hannable=Hannibal

whoo hoo!! = Whoo hoo!!

cant=Can't

Fineally a through explenation of what makes Hanible Hannable whoo hoo!! cant wait to read it.

Aaron, this is off-topic, but I gotta ask: What's with the inconsistent spelling in your posts? Do you do this for fun? Or are you just a really fast typist?

*Fineally=Finally

through=thorough

explenation=explanation

Hanible=Hannibal

Hannable=Hannibal

whoo hoo!! = Whoo hoo!!

cant=Can't

I have really bad speeling that's why also i am preaty fast as far as typing goes as long as it doesnt turn in to one of those beat on the guy who cant spell things im cool with it.