Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Woven Hand

Along with David Bazan and Sufjan Stevens, David Eugene Edwards is one of my "Christian music" heroes. I've had Consider The Birds for a few weeks now, and I love it (here's my review). In fact, as much as I enjoy 16 Horsepower's music, I've always been a bigger fan of Woven Hand, probably because it does feel so much more concentrated and focused. And at the same time, it's much more experimental and atmospheric musically.

It doesn

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Splendid's review has one of my fave review quotes this year:

If you're after standard-issue, G-rated Jesus-themed rock, stick with Jars of Clay. If Revelation is your idea of light bedtime reading, then meet your new favorite band.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I have (and love) Woven Hand's first album. Since hearing that he had a new one out I've been checking the ITMS regularly, hoping that it would show up there, as there's not much other way to get American music here in Nigeria. So far I've been disappointed sad.gif I feel a great deall of envy towards you lucky dogs that have been able to listen to his.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

I have (and love) Woven Hand's first album.
Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Pitchfork gives Consider The Birds an 8.5

So, if like me you don't believe in God, then why listen? Well, because unlike empty teen angst or bitchy navel gazing, Edwards has a certified message and even with the spikes and thorns and judgments his work emerges from a compelling, otherworldly mindset.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Splendid's Interview

Not a terribly deep interview, unfortunately, but it does have news of a new 16HP album in the works.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Has anyone else here been listening to Blush Music? I noticed Pitchfork's review while reading about Consider the Birds. It made me go back and listen more carefully. Blush Music initially left me a little disappointed but this, I think, was only the result of comparison with the self-titled album, which I dearly love. On it's own more rickety and sparse terms, it works. Anyone else?

Edited by Jeff Kolb

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

I haven't heard it myself, but here's a review a friend wrote for my site.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Finally got around to reading the latest newsletter from Twist & Shout, and they've got the 16HP DVD in stock, for $19.99. Click here...

This two-DVD set was well worth the wait. An artfully put together set, it has a little bit of everything a fan could want. Disc one is largely taken up with interviews with the band

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

16 Horsepower has called it quits...

Dear All,

It is with some regrets but also with confidence that we, 16 Horsepower, have decided to end our journey as a band. We have shared some unforgettable moments and hope to have given you all we could. An accumulation of differences, mostly political and spiritual, separates us today and prevents us from honestly going any further. We will remain active as Lilium and Woven Hand. We stay available to you and welcome your comments and inquiries through our record labels or via E-mail.

Sincerely,

16HP

I wonder if/how this will affect the new album that Edwards has mentioned in interviews.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

This is quite certainly the saddest day of the year.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

In more 16HP-related news, a new Denver Gentlemen disc is apparently in the works.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

16 Horsepower has called it quits...

Oh. This is very sad.

Thankfully, Woven Hand will still be around. Their mention of spiritual and political differences has me curious, though. I imagine DEE has some strongly held views.

-Joe Henry

How incredibly fortunate for me. I won't be able to make it to Cornerstone this year, but Woven Hand is playing here in chicago right after their Cornerstone appearance. At Schubas, too, which is the perfect venue for them, and a weekend after the Over The Rhine show in the same venue. I saw 16HP at Schubas maybe four years ago, and it is a night that I will never ever forget. I cannot wait for June to get here.

-s.

Edited by stef

How incredibly fortunate for me.  I won't be able to make it to Cornerstone this year, but Woven Hand is playing here in chicago right after their Cornerstone appearance.  At Schubas, too, which is the perfect venue for them, and a weekend after the Over The Rhine show in the same venue.  I saw 16HP at Schubas maybe four years ago, and it is a night that I will never ever forget.  I cannot wait for June to get here.

You're right... that's an awesome venue for them. I saw Ida there a few years ago... wish I was seeing Woven Hand this year.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Upcoming Woven Hand U.S. Tour Dates:

6/30 - cornerstone festival - bushnell, il.

7/1 - schuba's - chicago, il. - support: Cracklin Moth, Tom Brosseau

7/7 - the iota - arlington,va.

7/8 - the iron horse - northampton,ma.

7/9 - lizard lounge - boston,ma.

7/10 - the call - providence,ri.

7/13 - maxwell's - hoboken,nj.

7/14 - the knitting factory - nyc

7/15 - the ethical society - philadelphia,pa.

7/16 - club cafe - pittsburgh,pa.

7/17 - the grog shop - cleveland,oh.

* brother danielson will support wovenhand for 7/7 - 7/15

Please help spread the word about this tour by posting the dates to relevant mailing lists and forums (but please don't spam). Tour updates will be posted to the 16HP/WH/Lilium Yahoo Group.

Woven Hand's official site is now back online.

Edited by hcmyers

The folks who get to see those Woven Hand shows are lucky.

I'm late, late, late, but thanks to this board, 16 Horsepower was brought to my attention. I finally picked up a couple of their albums two weeks ago (thanks for the suggestions, Stef), and I was promptly blown away. A new love was born. Wouldn't you know I'd get into a band after it was no more? Sigh.

But my copy of Consider the Birds should soon arrive, and I expect that it will help alleviate some of the sadness over the band's demise.

Two general observations:

1. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love this board.

2. Why am I always the last to know about everything?

Edited by Diane

(hint, hint: Any and all users -- please feel free to add concerts, film screenings, festivals, what-have-you to the A&F Calendar.)

Thanks for the tip. Added Woven Hand tour dates to the calendar.

Woven Hand/David Eugene Edwards fans might want to check out the film/soundtrack Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus (featuring David/16 Horsepower) which I posted about here.

I've had Consider the Birds for a couple of weeks now, and, quite simply, I love it. This album breaks my heart, reduces me to tears, and takes me somewhere outside of myself. If anyone

In fact, I love this album so much that I quickly ordered Woven Hand's self-titled album, but I

-Joe Henry

No, I've had no problems like that...must be your disc.

Figures. I have the uncanny knack of getting defective merchandise. I'll have to ship it back.

It is with much regret that I must inform the board that I will not see the show at Schubas. Very sad, I know, but things have been tough on us time-wise and sleep-wise, and it is just the wrong night of the year to attempt anything that starts downtown at 10 am and has two warm-up acts. I am sad that I will miss Woven Hand, but you can't do everything you want to in life.

-s.

Out of curiousity, anyone going to Wovenhand's last American show before they head to Budapest and the rest of their European tour? DEE is playing at the Grog Shop in Cleveland on the 17th and I'm planning on going (nice Summer road trip from Dayton to NE-Ohio--who knows, maybe I'll go to Cedar Point, too--it's been years, since I've been there).

Oh, and in case you haven't seen them, yet here are some Wovenhand pics from Cornerstone 2005:

Wovenhand @ Cornerstone 2005 #1

Wovenhand @ Cornerstone 2005 #2

Wovenhand @ Cornerstone 2005 #3

So...............anyone going?

Edited by benjaminandrew