Woven Hand

Overstreet

I think Woven Hand made me believe that yes, three people can be as powerful as any other number of people in a band. I've often seen three-person acts only as punk bands, and I readily dismiss most punk. I saw the 77s pull off three person in powerful form, but not everyone can get anyone as electric as Mike Roe. (And not everyone can put together such an astounding rhythm section.) I guess I was just amazed that three guys pulled off what they did, and it's changed my perspective a bit on three person bands.

But yeah, even months later I know that I'll always remember this special, scary, powerful night in GR.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Word on the street is that the new album, The Threshingfloor, is due out in the U.S. on June 22. I'm really loving Wovenhand's New Order cover, "Truth," which you can listen to here. Samples from the album's other songs can be heard here.

Thanks for the update, Diane! We miss you 'round these parts.

Man, when I saw that January 24, 2009 Albuquerque date for Woven Hand, and then thought about how I missed it (especially in light of Jason's rapturous posts about the band in concert)..... ughhh! The bus system in ABQ leaves much to be desired (routes that end ridiculously early in the evening or afternoon), but if Woven Hand comes here again, I may just catch a bus there, see the show, sleep on a bench, and catch a bus home the next day. I reeallly want to see this band!

• 1 month later...

I got the new album in the mail today. It's funny to think that, once upon a time, David Eugene Edwards had a reputation primarily as an interpreter of American music traditions; his last couple of albums have both sounded very European to me, and this one continues his journey east by exploring a lot of Indian sounds. It's a really different album from either Consider the Birds or the last one; the closest antecedent is probably Mosaic, but even there, the similarities are minor. This one is his most ambient record, his most folksy, his most rhythmic, his most atmospheric: If you're willing to embrace a Wovenhand album for its textures instead of its full-throated roar, this one should prove a welcome change of pace.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

This one is his most ambient record, his most folksy, his most rhythmic, his most atmospheric...

Looks like his most most-est record! :)

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

This one is his most ambient record, his most folksy, his most rhythmic, his most atmospheric...

Looks like his most most-est record! :)

Heh... yeah; my point, of course, is simply that it is, in many ways, at the opposite end of the spectrum from, say, Secret South or Consider the Birds. And yet, it still sounds oddly like a Wovenhand record. :)

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I've listened to all the clips at Norman Records (link above), and I gotta say it is refeshing to hear DEE back in this mode. The last record was a little too -- oh, I don't know. Heavy metal powerful. He's proven over the years he doesn't need electricity (well, directly I mean) in order to pull out the western rock. He forgot that fact on the last record, which was still quite good, but in many ways it reminded me more of Led Zep than Woven Hand.

I'm really looking forward to this. I just got most of my old 16HP and Woven Hand on the new iPod this week, and even got some really cool pictures off the net for some of the records. Have been listening more than usual since then. :)

Edited by Persona

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered my copy from Sounds Familyre, and therefore got it a week early. :) Anyway (and I feel I always say this), this album is very strong—I'd venture to say I already prefer it to the previous two. Again, you have lyrics of a Psalm-like nature, but that's a given with DEE. But then throw in, as Josh mentioned, an ever-widening net of world music, and you get a very ambitious, exotic album. I'm also very happy to find a couple of songs ("Singing Grass" and "Behind Your Breath") that put me in mind of Folklore, based on minimalism (especially with the former) and mood. I love the instrumentation throughout, the ambient touches, and I have to give special notice to Ordy Garrison's percussion work. Oh boy, I hope DEE hits Birmingham again on this tour.

Edited by Diane

What a bizarre combo, for sure.

I believe Atlanta would be the closest for me, but getting out of town these days is a challenge. I'm holding out hope for a spring tour that includes my city, which is what happened last time. If only I could know for sure...

I believe Atlanta would be the closest for me, but getting out of town these days is a challenge. I'm holding out hope for a spring tour that includes my city, which is what happened last time. If only I could know for sure...

Well things are looking up. No mention of it yet on WovenHand official sites, but my most favorite music venue in the world* just posted a WovenHand show for October the 10th.

*link fixed I think...

Edited by Ward in SC

Schedule through this fall is here. You'll need to scroll down a bit.

Schedule through this fall is here. You'll need to scroll down a bit.

I would have sworn there was nothing there yesterday.

Of course Soundsfamilyre.com is blocked at work (but A&F is not?) - would you mind cut n pasting those dates?

[And I have no idea what my link in the above post went to..may have to fix that when I get home.]

Of course Soundsfamilyre.com is blocked at work (but A&F is not?) - would you mind cut n pasting those dates?

Here you go:

Jun 19 2010 - New Orleans, LA

Jun 20 2010 - Houston, TX

Jun 22 2010 - Cedar Park, TX

Jun 23 2010 - Oklahoma City, OK

Jun 25 2010 - Kansas City, MO

Jun 26 2010 - St. Charles, MO

Jun 28 2010 - Denver, CO

Jul 2 2010 - Jerusalem, ISRAEL

Jul 3 2010 - Tel Aviv, ISRAEL

Jul 4 2010 - Belfort, FRANCE

Jul 5 2010 - Milano, ITALY

Jul 6 2010 - Padova, ITALY

Jul 8 2010 - Vienna, AUSTRIA

Jul 9 2010 - Bratislava, SLOVAKIA (Slovak Republic)

Jul 10 2010 - Cluses, FRANCE

Jul 12 2010 - Schorndorf, GERMANY

Jul 13 2010 - Zurich, SWITZERLAND

Jul 14 2010 - Nijmegan, NETHERLANDS

Jul 15 2010 - Dour, Hainaut, BELGIUM

Jul 16 2010 - Carhaix-Plouguer, FRANCE

Sep 24 2010 - Denver, CO

Sep 25 2010 - Lawrence, Kansas

Sep 26 2010 - Omaha, Nebraska

Sep 28 2010 - Chicago, Illinois

Sep 29 2010 - Cleveland, OH

Sep 30 2010 - Grand Rapids, MI

Oct 1 2010 - Toronto, Ontario

Oct 2 2010 - Montreal, Québec

Oct 3 2010 - Cambridge, MA

Oct 4 2010 - Brooklyn, NY

Oct 6 2010 - Philadelphia, PA

Oct 7 2010 - Washington DC

Oct 8 2010 - Durham, NC

Oct 9 2010 - Atlanta, GA

Oct 10 2010 - Asheville, North Caro

Oct 12 2010 - Memphis, TN

Oct 13 2010 - Dallas, TX

Oct 14 2010 - Austin, Texas

Oct 15 2010 - Lubbock, TX

Oct 16 2010 - Santa Fe, New Mexico

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Great final paragraph. I can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my hands on the 16HP DVD? I know it's quite a few years old...

Also, I was listening to an interview with Sufjan Stevens and he mentioned that DEE (I think DEE, Daniel Smith and Sufjan Stevens are all friends???) and him have a lot in common in terms of their faith or something. That seemed odd to me as I always sort of associated Sufjan Stevens with some leftist-ish, liberal version of Christianity and DEE with that very orthodox, "fire and brimstone" revival type Christianity that's on full display in his music and at his live shows.

"To Make A Ring", I think, is my favourite "worship" song of all time.

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my hands on the 16HP DVD? I know it's quite a few years old...

Also, I was listening to an interview with Sufjan Stevens and he mentioned that DEE (I think DEE, Daniel Smith and Sufjan Stevens are all friends???) and him have a lot in common in terms of their faith or something. That seemed odd to me as I always sort of associated Sufjan Stevens with some leftist-ish, liberal version of Christianity and DEE with that very orthodox, "fire and brimstone" revival type Christianity that's on full display in his music and at his live shows.

Hi Winter Shaker,

Amazon.com (US) has two 16HP dvd's, one live and one kind of a career overview. The live on must be out of print as it is quite expensive. The other appears to be a "region 0" release, presumably made for the European market. I don't have either, unfortunately...

I've never heard Sufjan talking about his faith but I would probably have made assumptions similar to yours (for better or worse, ha!). Yes, Mr. Edwards theology seems quite fundamental in it's outlook. But he seems to be an open, welcoming individual. If you are on Facebook I highly recommend following Edwards on the "WovenHand-offical" facebook page. He posts regularly, mostly scriptures, then joins the ensuing discussions if prompted. Check it out while he still does it...

I've seen WovenHand play live 6 times in the last three years, only one time did they perform To Make A Ring, and I still get a chill remembering it.

Hi Winter Shaker,

Amazon.com (US) has two 16HP dvd's, one live and one kind of a career overview. The live on must be out of print as it is quite expensive. The other appears to be a "region 0" release, presumably made for the European market. I don't have either, unfortunately...

I've never heard Sufjan talking about his faith but I would probably have made assumptions similar to yours (for better or worse, ha!). Yes, Mr. Edwards theology seems quite fundamental in it's outlook. But he seems to be an open, welcoming individual. If you are on Facebook I highly recommend following Edwards on the "WovenHand-offical" facebook page. He posts regularly, mostly scriptures, then joins the ensuing discussions if prompted. Check it out while he still does it...

I've seen WovenHand play live 6 times in the last three years, only one time did they perform To Make A Ring, and I still get a chill remembering it.

Oh yeah, now I'll follow him on Facebook. I had become a "fan" of a page he posted on but I think things got a little testy and he seemingly abandoned it.

Thanks for the feedback about the DVDs. I'm still debating whether I'll purchase one; I have live DVDs of Delirious?, The Violet Burning and Vigilantes of Love but I rarely watch them. But it is DEE...Hell, he could make "Dancing Queen" menacing!

Edited by winter shaker

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals