Sign in to follow this  
Darryl A. Armstrong

From Aesthetics to Practice: How does Art Affect Your Life?

Good question. It sounds like you are putting a lot of weight and hope on a film that hasn't even been released yet! Always a big mistake. There is nothing like seeing a film yourself. You are not among the "priviledged" few who have been to an advanced screening? Great Billy Wilder line: "Just because no one will buy your script, doesn't make it a masterpiece." Just because people are complaining about the content of a film they haven't seen yet, doesn't make it wisdom in God's eyes. Of course, to make it worse, selective screenings are being withheld from those shouting the loudest.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I wasn't talking about The Passion. I am suspicious of that movie, for the reasons I discussed in those threads.

And yes, I was talking about an "ideal" movie.

I believe the following things:

That it is fitting that God should make one ( at least ) movie.

That it should be a movie that is just as he would like it to be.

That it should involve the cooperation of one of his creatures.

In short, that he should 'incarnate' himself into the world of cinema, and in a similar way as he did in THE Incarnation.

That it should be an American, an Eagle Scout, from the 'woods' north, that moves to Hollywood that should make this picture, etc. That it should take place in the heart of Hollywood, that it should be about Hollywood and directing, etc...these things seem fitting too, but perhaps they aren't as important.

Mulholland Dr. is:

A living Bible

The history of the world

The story of the soul

Mortal Sin

The Devil exposed

God's love revealed

...a living Bible and the Church

gregory:

I believe the following things:  

That it is fitting that God should make one ( at least ) movie.  

That it should be a movie that is just as he would like it to be.  

That it should involve the cooperation of one of his creatures.  

In short, that he should 'incarnate' himself into the world of cinema, and in a similar way as he did in THE Incarnation.  

That it should be an American, an Eagle Scout, from the 'woods' north, that moves to Hollywood that should make this picture, etc. That it should take place in the heart of Hollywood, that it should be about Hollywood and directing, etc...these things seem fitting too, but perhaps they aren't as important.

8O

Um... I don't really know what to say to this. Is all of that really necessary? Should God incarnate himself into other forms of art as well?

Mulholland Dr. is:  

A living Bible  

The history of the world  

The story of the soul  

Mortal Sin  

The Devil exposed  

God's love revealed  

...a living Bible and the Church

Well, I'm not sure if it's really all of those things; whether it is or it is not, how does that relate to what we're talking about? And while we're on the subject, what are we talking about?

:aeh:

How would he do this? Through the people participating in the film itself? I am intrigued as to what exactly constitutes the presence of God in a film. Many speak of thier "sacramental" experiences of Dreyer and early Bergman, would this come close to what you are talking about?

I don't know. I only know what I think I see. And even to say I "see" it is a mystery. If I were to describe all that I have "seen" since MD came out, by this time I would practically have to write a book as long as the Bible. So maybe that explains it to some degree?

One thing that is interesting to me is to think about how the 'original' Incarnation took place. ( "think" also is probably the wrong word to use, it should probably be "pray" ). Bishop Sheen, in one of his books, described the moment when Mary conceived. He described it in a way that I had never thought of before. He pictured Mary as being so absorbed in God, with her thoughts, imagination, etc. that she ( her desire? faith? ) drew sp? God down to herself, and the conception took place in communion with this longing of hers.

(cont.)

I think that David Lynch is a mystic. I think that he may have some of the same "absorption" in God that I was speaking of above. I believe that he was raised up by God to do what he is doing. See...already thoughts are increasing exponentially in my head...trying to decide which 'coincidences' to choose to share with you. Because that's what it is: a string of 'good coincidences' all his life long, and this extends to all who believe his work is what it appears to be. This makes the "silencio" at the end of MD, and at the end of "Les Mepris" seem like the only answer that will suffice.

Again, I think that the reaction is the thing. To watch the reaction of a person, or a group of people, to this movie makes me believe that it is somehow Gods "presence".

Does it have anything to do with a real presence? Perhaps SDG, you Mleary, or others could describe a senario where a change of "substance" occurs and the "accidents" remain, even within an image?? Obviously there are literal accidents in MD. This would be consistent with its "sacramentalism", where every part of the movie seems to contain the whole. There is also an interesting appearance within the film of a Shroud of Turin type image. the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe is also in the movie. I have heard both the Turin and Guadalupe images be described more as photographs than paintings. I am interested to hear any thoughts on the idea of 'true image'.

It seems fitting to me that God follows us into the land of cinema. The reason I say "follows" is because I am ( perhaps pessemistically ) convinced that cinema has been more of an escape from God's presence than we are likely to admit ( Mleary, this is somewhat what you meant by narrative being modern man's Tower of Babel? ). But I am ignorant of the history of cinema.

EDIT - RATHER THAN "TRUE IMAGE" PERHAPS "REAL IMAGE" OR "LIVING IMAGE"

Oh, and just to be clear, I believe that MD is somehow a sharing of Lynch's mystical experiences. It is like grace. Almost like a big vitamin. It heals just in the watching. So Lynch's faithful life of meditation is transmitted to us...free of charge. I would be interested to hear anyones thoughts on this idea of becoming more virtuous by the act of passively watching a movie.

I also see an intimate connection between this movie and 9/11.