Sign in to follow this  

Cars

That looks cool. My dad loves to tell me about old Route 66 every chance he gets, and we both like old cars, so I bet we'll enjoy this one.

But Larry the Cable Guy? Oh dear.

Edited by Ann D.

I don't know... it looks a little too Veggie Tales-ish for my tastes. Of course, there's still a year to got before the movie comes out and it is Pixar, so maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and you don't need iTunes to view the trailer, just QuickTime, although I'm sure you can view it in the iTunes music store as well.

Edited by opus

Just the few clips of the speedway portion of this film put the effects used in the Sylvester Stallone movie Driven to shame.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

My two cents' worth: Awful. My curiosity about the film dropped several points over the course of the preview. The characters look annoying, the "action" unimaginative, and the animation flat. Of course, that's probably because the film's still got A YEAR in development, but I don't think this trailer's going to generate much excitement.

I was completely underwhelmed, too -- not very funny, and I guess as a new southerner, the hayseed caricatures are rather tiresome and verge on offensive for me. My son liked it, though, so it may succeed in appealing to the kiddo demographic.

I thought that sounded like Owen Wilson. Reprising his role in Heat Vision and Jack, I see. I know that I certainly wouldn't drive over broken glass to see this film.

Agree with all who think that the preview for Cars looks terrible, and that the animation looks flat (Gran Turismo for PS2 looks far better), etc.

However, after thinking The Incredibles was fantastic, and that Pixar, IMHO, is now 6 for 6 on their feature films I believe the shoe has to drop eventually. I think Cars will be it. At least from the preview. In terms of quality anyway. I have no doubt that this will still make loads of money from all the kids who love cars and their "NASCAR dads."

Maybe they decided to dump their least-promising property on Disney to complete their contract and save all of their good ideas for when they're off on their own.

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: My two cents' worth: Awful. My curiosity about the film dropped several points

: over the course of the preview. The characters look annoying, the "action"

: unimaginative, and the animation flat.

Completely agreed. And it sure didn't help that the trailer's one good gag -- the bug splatter -- ended up being used by The Incredibles itself (and in a much more amusing way, too). (And come to think of it, the film's thunder may have been stolen with regard to anthropomorphic racing objects, too, by that talking-zebra movie trailer they showed.)

: Maybe they decided to dump their least-promising property on Disney to

: complete their contract and save all of their good ideas for when they're off on

: their own.

Intriguing theory! Another factor to keep in mind is that this will be John Lasseter's first turn in the director's chair since 1999's Toy Story 2 (where he shared the directing credit with two "co-directors"). Is it possible he might be a little rusty?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Hmm. I didn't watch the trailer, so that's disappointing.

It still has the Pixar name attached to it, so I can't imagine they would sacrifice their reputation just to get rid of it.

It still has a year, so here's to hoping.

Edited by Ann D.

Yep, looks pretty rubbish. I get the feeling this is kind of a pet love of Lasseter's. Which is all well and good but there's no evidence thus far that he's combining it with his talent for storytelling.

But, hey, it is only a teaser and we know how different they can turn out from the films when they emerge a year later (*cough* Star Wars: Episode 1 *cough*) And if there's one studio whose track record makes them worthy of the benefit of the doubt until more details emerge, I think it's Pixar.

Phil.

Edited by Shantih

Given that the plot outline for the movie is "A collection of classic automobiles set out for adventure on Route 66," maybe we are just given a taste of what the movie will be like.

The animation is not a good sticking point for the movie. NASCAR fans will enjoy the fact that Richard Petty has a voice part, I guess.

BTW - I thought the trailer involving the racing zebra movie looked much worst. People here in the Louisville, KY theater were excited by the Churchill Downs opening, then booed when the real intention of the film was shown.

Edited by Clint M

Clint M:

Given that the plot outline for the movie is "A collection of classic automobiles set out for adventure on Route 66," maybe we are just given a taste of what the movie will be like.

That's the impression I got as well. Almost as if this was not necessarily anything directly from the coming film, but a teaser to show what it will be about.

But, who knows? -- I could be wrong.

'Shrek 3' Hibernating Until '07

DreamWorks Animation Studios said Wednesday it would postpone the release of "Shrek 3" to May 2007 from November 2006. The announcement came a day after rival cartoon powerhouse Pixar Animation Studios said it would move "Cars" to May 2006 from November 2005. Both companies hope the early summer bows will allow them to capitalize on both the large summer audience and the holiday DVD market that follows.

Hollywood Reporter, December 9

- - -

Oh is THAT the reason Pixar is putting this film off another six months. One might hope they were motivated by a need for quality control and script rewrites, following negative audience response. Or perhaps Pixar is delaying the release of this film because they still haven't lined up a distributor for their NEXT film?

The trailer didn't really excite me, either. (I agree about the Veggie-Tales comment.) Although, I did think the scenes on the race track were pretty good.

I think the sounding the death knell is a bit premature though, gang. The little we know of the film's premise doesn't seem interesting, but we know almost nothing about the premise, characters and the story. Hey, if the story and characters are cool, then yeah, this could still be a very good film. I'm not enthusiastic about seeing this, but I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out to be good.

Yet another voice to add to the many that thought this trailer was largely unimpressive.

Part of the problem, I thought, was that bit in the middle about the race track cars. Film within a film which really made absolutely no sense and went on far too long just to demonstrate technical abilities. And yup, annoying characters. Dumb car, smart car - usual concept, wouldn't be a problem if they didn't feel the need to make the dumb one have goofy teeth and a lisp. I mean, really, come on guys. doh.gif talk about lack of imagination.

I will, however, reserve judgement until I have seen the film. I still reckon a poor Pixar film is better than an average action movies. Besides, I feel they're allowed to slip up once in a while and still have me support them. Their run has been pretty much outstanding to date and I know that I'll be watching this in the cinema regardless of what other's say or the trailer makes me think. Benefit of the doubt is deserved in their case.

Edited by gigi

I know that I'll be watching this in the cinema regardless of what other's say or the trailer makes me think. 

These are the exact thoughts I had when I saw the previews for Finding Nemo, which for nearly a year were less than impressive. But look at the end result! With Cars, we're talking about a movie that is still more than a year from release... now over 18 months away. I'm sure Pixar is going to be working on this as hard as any other film... they just don't seem to be the kind of people that will rest on their laurels. I mean, these are the same people that scrapped major finished portions of Toy Story 2, went back to the drawing board (literally), and redid major sequences. It appears that they are their own harshest critics, and are not afraid to say, "Hey, that could be better. Let's fix it."

I felt the same way about Finding Nemo.

And to back up what Baal said, I've read interviews of Brad Bird, who talked about the way they did things at pixar. Bird basically corroborates what Baal said in his post. They seem to want to challenge themselves and not rest on their laurels. I really respect that about them. So, even though Cars doesn't look that good, I'd wait until the film comes out before I pass judgment.

This might give folks a bit more faith in the film.

Yowzah. Last night, while feeding the twins, I put on my Incredibles DVD, and thus, for the first time in nearly two years, I watched the original trailer for Cars -- the one that gives the rusty, southern-hick tow-truck multiple opportunities to utter his catchphrase "Dad-gum!". And it occurred to me that I had seen the film a week or two ago, and I could not for the life of me remember that phrase being used in the film itself.

Has anyone else seen the film? Is that catchphrase uttered there? Is it possible the studio eliminated it due to negative response to that first trailer?

This is going to be an absolutely spectacular film to see ... for people like me and my son, whose lives (outside of the church) center completely around cars and motorsports. The rendering on all the cars (e.g., the fabulous Hudson and the #43 Plymouth Superbird) is exquisite. The people who made this film truly did their homework on the car side. Believe me, I've seen this sort of thing done sloppily, and the attention to detail here is very good.

We will be seeing this multiple times, Veggie-Taledness notwithstanding! B)

I'm willing to give anything with the Pixar logo a shot, though it's going to be very difficult for the studio to top what they accomplished with The Incredibles (which may, after Toy Story 2, be their best film yet).

anglicanbeachparty wrote:

: The rendering on all the cars (e.g., the fabulous Hudson and the #43 Plymouth Superbird) is exquisite. The

: people who made this film truly did their homework on the car side. Believe me, I've seen this sort of thing

: done sloppily, and the attention to detail here is very good.

Well, sure, no one doubts Pixar's technical proficiency. But, just as I thought it was wrong to slam Hoodwinked simply because its animation was crude, I think it would be wrong to praise any film simply because its animation was, as you say, exquisitely rendered. I was VERY impressed with the technical aspects of A Bug's Life, but I still thought it was inferior overall to Antz, know what I mean?