The Amazing Race 6

So we don't have to use spoiler tags:

There will be SPOILERS throughout this entire thread. Read at your own risk.

With only one week to go, I think it's time to get the new thread started. Am I impatient? Oh, yes. I know that Tim posted the list of new contestants over at the AR5 thread, but I'll repost them here. Actually, I found this info over at Television Without Pity. It's supposed to be what ran in TV Guide before CBS decided to wait another month or so to air AR6. It gives a bit more info on the contestants:

From TV guide (before TAR 6 got pushed back)

1. Jonathan Baker and Victoria Fuller - Married. Call themselves "Team Hollywood". He's an entrepreneur. She's an ex-Playmate. He apparently died his hair blue for the race.

2. Lori Chestnut Harvey and Bolo Dar'tainian - Pro wrestlers from Molino, Florida. Dar'tainian says, "Being pro wrestlers, our job is to piss people off."

3. Rebecca Cardon and Adam Malis - Call themselves the "Weird Ex-Dating Couple". They're spinning teachers.

4. Kris Perkins and Jon Buehler - Dating long distance. She goes to UCLA, he owns a bar in Scottsdale, Arizona.

5. Freddy Holliday and Kendra Bentley - Models, engaged. He says if he has to eat "something funky" it can "ruin" him for the whole day.

6. Lena and Kristy Jensen - Sisters. Kirsty is a devote Morman, mother, model and student. Lena is a "striptease aerobics instructor" (Don't ask me. That's what the article said.)

7. Aaron Crumbaugh and Hayden Kristianson - Models, dating. Say they argue a lot.

8. Hera and Gustavus Mcleod - Father and daughter. She teaches special education. He's an ex-CIA operative currently working as an adventure pilot.

9. Maria Sampogna and Meredith Tufaro - Best friends from Queens who say they laugh all the time.

10. Donald and Mary Jean St. Claire - Married for 23 years. Call themselves "Team Medicare".

11. Avi Schneier and Joe Rashbaum - Friends since high school. Schneier is a high school teacher who studies Eastern philosophy. Rashbaum is an ad exec who they say keeps everything "kosher".

By the way, from one promo spot I've seen, I'd say we might just have another Colin in this bunch. Of course, Colin-like antics probably secure good ratings, so I'm sure CBS really wants to play up things like that.

T-minus 7 days and counting....

(By the way, Admins and Mods, I hope it's okay to start a new thread for the new season.)

Edited by Diane
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah! My Tuesday-night class ends Nov. 30, and we have Nov. 23 off for Thanksgiving week (will CBS air a new AR that week? I hope so), so I'll miss two of the first three episodes, but none thereafter.

Is Hayden a female name, or is that team one of those teams? smile.gif

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Ooooh, lots of photos. And Hayden? Definitely a girl.

Ooh, ooh! So glad you started this thread, Diane. I am absolutely itching for the new season to start (maybe it's the cold weather in New Hampshire that's making my skin dry, but you know what I mean).

I noticed the Colin-like behavior, too, but the team I'm most intrigued about is the former wrestlers. What will happen if they have a Colin-like meltdown? Limbs snapped? Ears bitten off?

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Following the Survivor thread's example, I went back and added general spoiler warnings to the thread's subtitle and first post. This should keep us from having to post spoiler tags throughout. Okay with everyone?

Following the Survivor thread's example, I went back and added general spoiler warnings to the thread's subtitle and first post. This should keep us from having to post spoiler tags throughout. Okay with everyone?

Good move, Diane. Thanks.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

By the way, I read somewhere yesterday (can't find the article just now) that the new AR will, once again, air twice each week--once on Tuesday night, then as a repeat on Saturday nights.

Johnathan - "Uhh, excuse me? Can I get an acknowledgement here?"

I can think of a 5 fingered acknowledgement... and 4 of those fingers would be curled up.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Can't

STAND

Jonathon.

I may not be able to watch if this piece of work doesn't get knocked off. I feel sick to my stomach for his wife... how does she do it??

Okay, end of rant (for now).

-Gas in a diesel again?! and they even asked about the fuel before putting in the wrong stuff AGAIN?! Great camera work to catch it.

-The wrestlers are a bit much, but they will certainly liven things up.

-Iceland is stunning.

-Are we really to believe that Gus is an ex CIA operative?? For real? Do they teach recruits how to shower in a snowbank at Langley?

-Avi and Joe would have been fun to watch for more weeks, but the comment about being on such a good pace -- just before elimination -- was pretty funny.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

I'd love to see the wrestlers give Jonathan a little "attitude adjustment". wink.gif

Hopefully one of the upcoming challenges involves shaving off Hellboy's horns. pinch.gif

All in all, it looks like it should be an interesting season. It's a little too early to decide who I want to really root for, except hoping for an early exit for Jonathan.

Hi folks. Been away from work for a couple of days. I'm at the library right now checking in. Anyway:

Come on, people. Give Jonathon some credit. He's already explained--it's "passion," not an explosive temper or anything. dry.gif Good night! As I watched him, I kept thinking, "Is this guy for REAL?!" I mean, who screams "Game face! Who's got their game face on?!?" Seriously, that really makes Americans look good. The dude is beyond annoying. And I don't even have to mention all of his blow-ups. That kind of behavior is unbelievable.

Was very glad that the father/daughter team aren't gone yet. Maybe it's because of the quick elimination of the father/daughter team last season.

After last night's show, I was left wondering if I've ever seen so many contentious couples on AR before.

After last night's show, I was left wondering if I've ever seen so many contentious couples on AR before.

Yeah, my wife and I were saying the same thing. Are we just looking through a romantic haze at past seasons, or did those seasons seem to be populated by fewer jerks than were on display last night? Even Colin waited until later in the season to show his true colors! (or at least the editors waited to show them to us)

Father-daughter team - I hate to say this, because I dream of doing Amazing Race in about 2021 when my daughter's old enoughm - but I kept thinking that poor girl is saddled with a rotten partner! She must be wishing she'd done this with one of her girlfriends or something. The dad was WAY too laid back -- "hey, just keep driving slowly honey, no need to pass anyone" -- maybe no one explained to the guy that they're in a race? He didn't seem to want to exert a whole lot of effort, which is sad to see in the opening episode. I mean, by day 14, maybe, but day 1? crying.gif

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

It's weird to look back at the opening post to see what backgrounds these people have; it changes my perception of them:

1. Jonathon's wife, Victoria, is the ex-Playmate? (Why does she put up with him? How'd he up up with her, and her with him? Am I imagining that her options weren't/aren't as good as the resume suggests?)

2. Lena and Kristy were a real bright spot last night -- they seemed quite close, both good-natured. 'Mormon' didn't surprise me, but one of them is the 'striptease' instructor??

3. To repeat myself... Gus is ex-CIA?

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Perhaps it's just me, but does anyone else think that taking the wrong vehicle should have incurred a penalty against Don and Mary Jean? If only because it could have caused another team extra time trying to figure out what became of their vehicle and possessions. And, if this isn't going to become a penalty, couldn't it become a rather dirty trick that some other team could pull in the future?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

If I was playing the game, and that happened to me, I would figure that since all the vehicles are going to the same place anyway, it isn't really a problem.

I could understand in the heat of the game, people getting in a panic about it, though. I think Don and Mary Jean should have gotten some kind of time penalty. But maybe they did get a penalty, and it wasn't shown on camera, since it didn't affect the outcome of the race.

We watched last night's episode with my sister-in-law, her daughter, and a friend of ours, and everyone had a blast. I had missed the first episode, so this was my introduction to this season's teams.

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this already, but the producers have loaded up on attractive young people this season, no?

Speaking of which, I liked the two sisters who came in last place. I hear they're Mormons, but they look more like Models to me. wink.gif (Lots of people look like models this time around, and I'm pretty sure a couple actually are models, just like last season).

I'm very disappointed that, once again, the most obnoxious teams seem to be the most competitive. Have mercy.

I cheered when the one girl told "Hellboy with horns" that she was losing her affection for him. Sure, it didn't last too long, but it's nice to see a woman confront her obnoxious boyfriend (or was it "ex-boyfriend" in this case?) for a change.

Oh, and I got a little teary-eyed when the wife of the older couple apologized to her husband, even though he had been in the wrong (in my view). Nice picture of forgiveness.

Edited by Christian

My wife told that that (while I wasn't looking) Jonathon hit his wife, and I did see him threaten to hit her on another occasion (when he was trying to talk to the cab driver and she interrupted). His appalling demeanor is one thing, but physical abuse should be grounds for disqualification.

I'm loving this race except for him -- I almost can't watch. Last race, I felt like Colin's outbursts were an intense expression of normal responses to stress, whereas this guy seems to have some serious problems. It's ugly.

I didn't see that part, but apparently she was hit with the trunk lid on the car. I'm sure it's being written off as an accident, though I don't know if it really is or not.

His verbal abuse is exactly that--abuse. If he isn't gone soon, whether he's last or disqualified, I'm not watching, and won't watch any future Races out of protest. That type of behavior should never be allowed.

Subtlety is underrated

See, I am going the opposite direction and thinking that more people should watch so that they can see first hand what an abuser looks (and acts) like. The show isn't making him act this way, they are simply documenting it - and obviously they are not glorifying it by any means. I see no reason to protest, even though his behaviour does piss me off.

I say that even if he wins the prize, he loses so much more by being on the show. Now the entire U.S. knows what kind of a person he is and that will affect the rest of his life.

Good point -- influence people for good by showing them the bad. And I think the show does a disservice by making people look better OR worse than they are (Colin's complaint in the last race). So, yes, show it warts and all.

But so far I'm reacting to his behavior so strongly that it's taking the fun out of the show -- I just can't stand the guy's treatment of his wife.

See, I am going the opposite direction and thinking that more people should watch so that they can see first hand what an abuser looks (and acts) like.
Edited by Ann D.
Subtlety is underrated

Very late to the week 2 discussion party, if you can call it a party considering Jonathon's behavior. The preview for this week's show makes him look even worse, if that's possible.

Anyway...I like the new rule that the roadblocks have to be split evenly so that each team member must participate. No slackers allowed this season, I guess. By the way, has there been any mention of the possibility of a "yield" option this season? I sort of wish they'd take it away and just let the couples run the race and win or lose based on their own performance. (I'd make an exception for Jonathon, though.) I also wonder if last-place teams in non-elimination rounds will get no dough for the next leg.

See, I am going the opposite direction and thinking that more people should watch so that they can see first hand what an abuser looks (and acts) like.
Edited by Mark

And thus a show like Amazing Race, by far the classiest of all reality shows, goes down a notch or two as it seeks to cast an even more obnoxious contestant next time around.

Very well said, Mark. You're not the only one with this complaint about the show's standards in general. Check out this bit from Television Without Pity regarding Jonathon and Victoria (edited for language, of course):

I'm going to have to make my peace with this situation, because I like much of the rest of the cast and it's still a great show, but...don't they screen these people within an inch of their lives? Who let this [guy] through the cracks, anyway? I personally believe that the magnitude of the blunder committed in choosing these people is serious enough that if I were in charge of it, I'd consider some new blood in casting. Bickering is one thing, but nobody wants to spend a season watching anyone suffer to this degree. And that's all I'm going to say about it, because that's all I really can say about it. But you can rest assured that whenever they cross the screen, I'm thinking it.
Edited by Diane