Sign in to follow this  
Diane

The Amazing Race 6

Sneaky, sneaky Phil.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

At this point the game might get REALLY interesting if they did a Survivor style swap-fest, wherein team members have to choose backpacks randomly, and whose-ever they end up with is their new partner.

Very interesting idea! It could be trouble though, since teams aren't random in the first place, and there would certainly be room for unfair manipulation. For example, if one wrestler wins, the other would too (they're married), so the one with the weaker new team-mate could play spoiler to help a spouse win with a new team-mate.

I'd like to see the race stop specifying every mode of transportation, which is the preferred method of evening things up and making sure all teams stay tightly bunched up. It would be great to see teams scramble for bus, train, cab, car rental, airline schedules and availability. Of course, Phil needs the group to stay together so he can be ahead of all of them to every welcome mat, so it's unlikely.

This is the best part of the race for me. Few enough teams to keep them all straight, and we've gotten to know them; culture shock and sleep deprivation are setting in and the early idealism has given way to sheer guts (or lack thereof). And so far, this race has been to some very interesting locales and added some new twists; it's nice to see them keeping it interesting.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Can I just say again that I love this show?

That's my response to watching the Survivor finale and wrap-up show last night. Every time I watch Survivor I come away loving TAR more. It's helped by the fact that they run ads for the Race during Survivor, which serves to remind you how much better the Race is.

I just posted a rant in the Survivor thread. I won't re-hash that here. But this show is awesome.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I'm not watching this anymore, and I'm making sure CBS knows why. I'm so angry right now. I can't believe they're letting him get away with this.

Subtlety is underrated

I just finished watching tonight's leg of the Race, and my stomach is still in knots. Not because of an exciting finish - it was pretty clear, even despite the clever editing, that Don and MJ were sucking wind by the end - but because of Jonathan's horrific treatment of Victoria. He hit her. He hit her in front of all the world. And she broke down, screaming. It was one of the most awful things I've ever seen on television, and I am not sure what to do about it.

The thing is, even though this is a "reality" show, the producers have a clause in everyone's contract that they can do whatever they want at any time - change the rules without warning, whatever. If there is no rule about physically assaulting another player, there should be. Jonathan and Victoria should be assessed a severe penalty, and if it happens again, they should be out of the Race. That's really all there is to it. This kind of thing should NEVER be tolerated.

In other news, the Amazing disappearing Kris and Jon were absent from the entire middle portion of the Race, trying to find the beer haus, I assume. I was scared for them.

The portion at the Port of No Return in the beginning was moving DESPITE the emotional music and cheesiness, simply because of the impact of what had happened there, and due to Gus' reaction. Powerful - didn't need the cheesy strings.

And Gus was a hoot in the beer haus! "Frikkin' lush!" indeed.

The juxtaposition between the Slave Center and the Berlin Wall was well-considered and a great piece of TV.

I can't believe how much I hate Kendra's attitude toward the third world. She's beautiful, but shallow as anything inside. "What's a stein??"

But it is all overshadowed by the last few minutes, and Jonathan and Victoria. Something must be done. That is inexcusible.

I've had the night to sleep on it, and I am still in shock and repulsed at Jonathan's behavior. But I will watch at least the next few episodes, because:

There are only two reasons on this kind of show to use any bit of footage. Remember, they have cameramen following (at this point) eight teams 24-hours a day. On that leg alone, they must have had at least (let's say) 64 hours of footage that they could have used, but they showed us what they did for a reason.

The two decisions sitting at you in the editing booth are:

1. Is this just a good bit of TV?

and

2. Does this bit of footage tell the story?

There are hundreds of stories you can tell with the footage you have, but you need to have an overall view of where things are going, for each team, and in the general plot of the Race (eliminations, what order teams arrive at every given spot, etc.).

The Victoria-abused footage is NOT good TV. It makes us not want to watch, it enrages us, it is horrible. That means (I hope) that it tells an important part of the story. That indicates to me that Jonathan WILL be penalized for his behavior.

Karina and I talked about it last night, and she brought up Richard Hatch's sexual misconduct on Survivor All-Stars. Neither Probst nor the producers probably realized exactly what had happened or how bad it was at the time, but as events unfolded, they became aware of it. Now, I don't think Survivor handled it well. They didn't DO anything to Hatch (unless it was behind the scenes - Hatch was voted out almost immediately).

Because I like TAR, I pass some of that goodwill over to the producers. I don't think Phil saw what happened, really. It appeared as though they didn't let J&V through the Brandenburg Gate until F&K were off the mat. J&V are not in the background of any of the F&K shots, and there is a clear view of the Gate. So, I don't think Phil saw Jonathan hit Victoria. However, for the first time I can remember in all six seasons of the Race, Phil was visibly concerned about the relationship between these two Racers, and told Jonathan to go talk to Victoria. That's a first in my recollection. I don't know when the producers get to see the footage, but I would assume they debrief the camera crew almost immediately (i.e. "Is there anything that happened in this leg we should know about?") after the leg is over. Almost all of the penalties I've seen in the Race are assessed at the beginning of the next leg. I'm hoping that happens here.

ON THE OTHER HAND, CBS had a chance to foreshadow that in the teaser for next week, and if that is the case, I find their "The battle of the sexes continues" line in the preview VERY distasteful. Clearly, the Producers are not removing this team from the Race. I hope they are warned, though. And I also hope that the reason we are seeing this now is because it has repercussions in the future.

I'm not watching this anymore, and I'm making sure CBS knows why.  I'm so angry right now.  I can't believe they're letting him get away with this.

So my hope is that they are not letting him get away with this. If you're not going to watch the next few weeks, at least keep your eye on this thread to see what happens.

I know you're watching this season at least in part due to the enthusiasm the rest of us have had for this show. I apologize for what you saw tonight. Please believe me when I say that nothing like this has ever appeared on the Race before. And that I believe in hope that the producers are showing this to us because there will be repercussions down the line.

I can't remember the exact moment when Jonathan hit Victoria last night. I was simply overwhelmed by his verbal abuse of Victoria, and his strange belief that they should just drop their backpacks in the middle of a somewhat busy pedestrian/traffic area.

It's hard to believe those two are married. I've lost my temper a few times in the past and have yelled at loved ones, so Jonathan's behavior stings me a little. But those were half a lifetime ago, during a more troubled time in my own life--and even then they were by far the exception to any rule. I hope Jonathan finds the grace to overcomes his problem; it doesn't seem like his flare-ups are infrequent.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

It was before they went through the Brandenburg Gate, when he retrieved his pack from Victoria, he gave her a big shove.

I really don't have anything to add here, but I'll have my say anyway.

The ending of the race last night was horrific. Victoria's hysterical crying and pleas for Jonathon to help her made me feel sick, almost as if I was watching some live event and could only stand by and do nothing. Those screams/tears seemed especially desperate because of Jonathon's specific threat to "blow up on her" if they didn't get first place. Christian, I think everyone's referring to Jonathon's violent shove of Victoria before they entered the gate. Or did he hit her? I don't know. I was sort of in shock. Phil looked concerned and almost at a loss for words as Victoria stood sobbing on the pit-stop mat and Jonathon continued to berate her. Finally, he encouraged Jonathon to go talk to Victoria, which only resulted in Jonathon screaming at her, "This is a RACE! It's NOT ABOUT COMPASSION!!" I SO, SO, SO was hoping they would kick him out of the race right then and there, and specify that it was HIS behavior that was the cause. Like you pointed out, crimsonline, I was sad to see them in next week's preview, since that means he'll still be in the race. But I'm hoping that SOMETHING gets said to him. Please, TAR, do SOMETHING. I almost expected a public service announcement to appear at the end of the show: "If you or a loved one is suffering abuse, please get help. Call this number."

This presents a dilemma. I'm sure NOBODY want to see J & V win the race. But what on earth will he do to her if they DON'T win?!

I'm sad for the show. And I'm also embarrassed that I encouraged so many friends who had never seen TAR before to start watching this season.

I can't remember the exact moment when Jonathan hit Victoria last night. I was simply overwhelmed by his verbal abuse of Victoria, and his strange belief that they should just drop their backpacks in the middle of a somewhat busy pedestrian/traffic area.

It's hard to believe those two are married. I've lost my temper a few times in the past and have yelled at loved ones, so Jonathan's behavior stings me a little. But those were half a lifetime ago, during a more troubled time in my own life--and even then they were by far the exception to any rule. I hope Jonathan finds the grace to overcomes his problem; it doesn't seem like his flare-ups are infrequent.

There are lots of married people who treat each other much worse. That's why there are shelters for battered women. It's why the police no longer (at least here) need a woman's cooperation to prosecute spousal abuse. The scary thing is if this is how he acts with a camera following him, what is life with him alone like?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

The scary thing is if this is how he acts with a camera following him, what is life with him alone like?

They say that you forget you're being followed by a camera on these shows. I find that hard to believe. The CBS Insider videos at CBS.com show Jonathan buying and releasing a bird for luck while in Africa (actually, he gets his "guide" to pay the .50 cents for him) and he holds it up for the camera. I think he believes she had it coming, and that any sane person would agree with him. I think that kind of behavior is as natural to him as breathing. I think he has an enormous sense of entitlement and superiority. I think that he truly does not understand how other people see him.

I'm sad for the show. And I'm also embarrassed that I encouraged so many friends who had never seen TAR before to start watching this season.

My wife and I started taping the show for a couple who went to India with me. They had watched the show before, but no longer have cable. They came over last week to watch it with us, and it was fun. They didn't make it over this week, and I am planning on giving them the tape, but I don't want to.

It's pretty obvious that there has been an ongoing pattern of abuse with Jonathan and Victoria throughout their relationship. Earlier in the show, when Victoria told Jonathan to leave her alone, Jonathan responded with "I never promised to leave you alone. That's why I married you." That's truly frightening. Jonathan is a control freak of the worst kind, and someone needs to intervene between him and Victoria, because they're on a path that can go nowhere but in a negative direction.

CBS clearly needs to do something, to make some sort of statement about this blatant pattern of abuse. If they apologized for Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" and nixed the United Churches of Christ's ad, how can they do nothing about spousal abuse, which is far worse than either of those other two examples? If the producers of the show aren't going to kick Jonathan out of the race right away, they need to tell him that one more incident and you're gone. They also need to put some kind of message, some phone number for abused spouses to call to get help.

On the other hand, some other random comments:

Don and Mary Jane showed true class in defeat. Bravo to them.

The tribute in the Port of No Return, and Gus' emotional reaction was quite moving.

Kendra is quickly becoming a classic example of the stereotypical "ugly American" in her comments criticising the poor Africans for breeding. Is it any wonder people in the rest of the world have a poor impression of Americans?

Aaron deserves some kind of a Darwin Award in accusing Bolo of using steroids. That is a pretty stupid thing to do to someone who is a lot bigger than you. Bolo deserves a lot of credit for letting that comment go, since as a professional wrestler, he probably has been accused many times of being on steroids.

CBS clearly needs to do something, to make some sort of statement about this blatant pattern of abuse.  If they apologized for Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" and nixed the United Churches of Christ's ad, how can they do nothing about spousal abuse, which is far worse than either of those other two examples? 

Great point. I hate to be cynical, but I fear that CBS believes this is riveting television ... only if viewers like us who are outraged over that kind of behavior start complaining will the network get the message. That's why the network made those other decisions - because they knew some powerful lobbies would get viewers writing letters and staging boycotts. So, fellow A&F'ers, why don't we stage our own "awareness campaign" and start letting CBS know how we feel?

BTW, my least Christian impulses kicked in when J&V approached the finish, and I found myself wishing Phil would unleash some kung fu kicks on Mr. Jerky. Better, I wished Lori and Bolo had been in first place, then turned around and layed the smack on him for the way he treated his wife. I need to get myself to confession ...

Kendra is truly shallow and pitiful, isn't she? A shame, 'cos I like Freddy but can't root for the team after Kendra's dumb remarks about poverty and "breeding." So count me on the Kris & Jon bandwagon -- 'though Gus & Hera moved up a notch, partially because they seem to be competing a bit more and partially because they're just fun to watch!

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

So, fellow A&F'ers, why don't we stage our own "awareness campaign" and start letting CBS know how we feel?

Well, it sounds like Ann has done something to let CBS know how she feels. And after glancing at Television without Pity's forum, it sounds like plenty of others have sent e-mails to CBS. I think that's a very good idea.

I second all the dislike for Kendra and her attitude. Blech.

Crimson, there is no need to apologize. You are in no way responsible for Jonathan, the show, or my decision to watch or not watch. But I thank you anyway.

I've also had the night to sleep on it, and now that I've calmed down a bit I can think through this more clearly.

I agree with SZPT a few posts back, when he states that it's actually a good thing to show this, in order for people to see what abuse really is. My concern is that CBS, the producers, or whoever it is in charge will not exact a penalty. I also agree that it isn't good TV--but I'm afraid TPTB might.

I will also wait before I actually send something, to see if perhaps there is some kind of repercussion. I mean, Jen C from The Apprentice was fired from her real job because of her comments! I don't understand how in the world that bastard--please pardon me language, but there's no other word for it--is allowed to get away with this kind of behavior.

I would be more than happy to be involved in some kind of awareness campaign, Mark, if that's an idea you want to pursue.

I don't want something like this to be censored, but what tears me to pieces is that there are no consequences to his behavior. And while I fully believe God will enact his justice (or grace, if Jonathan so happens to ask for it), I still think that we should say or do something to make CBS aware this is not acceptable.

Unfortunately, I can't watch this until he is gone. Which is a damn shame, because I was really enjoying Bolo. Even Adam, with his juvenile remarks in the sausage factory, was amusing.

Though it surprised me that for a while, I was actually beginning to dislike someone else MORE than Jonathan. But of course, he fixed that.

Subtlety is underrated

I would be more than happy to be involved in some kind of awareness campaign, Mark, if that's an idea you want to pursue. 

I'd be happy to write a "form email" if that's something people would be interested in signing and sending. (Not that everyone here isn't capable of doing it themselves, but sometimes it's tough to carve out the time, and then we let it slip away, and it never happens. Done that many times myself.)

We could say something along the lines of what a great, classy show AR has been, and as a group of fans who regularly discuss the show, we find we're increasingly dismayed by CBS's decision to cast a person who is displaying such dangerous behavior ... and some of us have tuned out until he's eliminated, while we're all awaiting some kind of repercussions for his behavior, namely that CBS needs to let him and the viewers know this type of thing won't be tolerated or mimicked in future installments of the show ...

That's just off the top of my head. Form letters aren't my favorite thing, but they do seem to be effective for this type of protest. I can post something here and everyone can do with it what they will.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

'though Gus & Hera moved up a notch, partially because they seem to be competing a bit more and partially because they're just fun to watch!

Yes, I like Gus. I admire a man who can appreciate a quality beer. cheers.gif

That's just off the top of my head. Form letters aren't my favorite thing, but they do seem to be effective for this type of protest. I can post something here and everyone can do with it what they will.

This sounds like a great idea. Thank you.

Agreed. Great idea, Mark. Thanks!

And now, more sadness: Jonathon and Victoria have their own official Web site. Take a look at those two TAR 6 premiere pictures on the bottom row...and how they seem to be playing up the negative aspects of their relationship.

EDIT: Wait, maybe we don't want to visit that site. That guy's probably eating up all the hits it's getting lately.

I don't think I can join the letter-writing campaign, and I'm not going to boycott the show over Jonathan's troubling behavior. I have faith that Victoria -- not the AR producers, the network, or the viewing audience -- is going to put a stop to Jonathan's behavior.

Also, call me foolish but I'm not overly concerned about her personal safety. I think she's all too familiar with Jonathan's behavior, and although I might wish she'd taken drastic action in the past, I think she must have some coping mechanism that will manifest itself -- maybe erupt -- in an upcoming episode.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Yeah, whatever else may have happened on the Race, it certainly did not split the two of them up.

The first 15 minutes of the show last night were filled with bad behavior -- ignorant beyond words, from the blustering at the airline counter to the horrifying comment from Rebecca, I believe: "Africa is disgusting... all this poverty, and they keep breeding.."

The pressure is on, and character cracks are beginning to show. I chuckled at some, but I was shocked at others, then finally outraged at Jonathon's abusive conduct. I'm not sure I could cheer for any of these teams to win, except for Kris and Jon ("Let's say a prayer" -- at the Gate of No Return -- was an appropriately hushed, gentle moment). And Don and MJ would be wonderful to watch as a couple, if they weren't such hapless racers.

I don't think there is any reason to be embarrassed that we love this show because one of the racers is acting so badly. In fact, the producers did an outstanding job providing the context for all of his bad behavior. For example, there was a running thread through the show about the weight of Jonathon's pack, then he was whining "Victoria! I can't!", and then she was running with BOTH packs -- WHY? Because he wanted to be first -- to win a trip maybe, but mostly for bragging rights. He said earlier that they hadn't come in first yet, and he wanted to prove that they could.

This race in no way set up the conditions for physical abuse, and in no way condoned it. And although Phil clearly didn't see the attack, full marks to him for sending him to deal with Victoria. And finally, the producers appeared to offer Jonathon no shelter from his own behavior, including such inane comments as "...it's not about compassion -- it's a race!".

And how about the money provided to Don and MJ. Everyone threw some money their way -- fairly decent, I'd say... but only Jonathon made a big production of holding up a twenty with two hands and LENDING it to them. I have to say, after his "I own a Ferrarri" comments, I was delighted that at least two racers, both women, beat his time in the soapbox derby. (Is it wrong to gloat?)

Bottom line: Jonathon deserves censure, but it needs to be done in a way that will not create new problems for Victoria. I would like to see Bruckheimer appear with Phil on the mat and read him the riot act, force him to apologize, and provide Victoria with some post-race reward (like a week at a spa) -- alone.

I also think he should be told that further abuse will result in dismissal for him, but Victoria can select any member of the race who is already eliminated and continue with that person.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

The first 15 minutes of the show last night were filled with bad behavior -- ignorant beyond words, from the blustering at the airline counter to the horrifying comment from Rebecca, I believe: "Africa is disgusting... all this poverty, and they keep breeding.."

Actually, to give (dis-)credit where it is due, that gem of a line was spoken by Kendra. Rebecca's prize-winning quote was, after looking at the slaveholding center, "No wonder they escaped from here!" Um, no dear: they were loaded onto ships from here, like so much cordwood, and fed bare subsistence rations. Many died on the trip over, and were just tossed overboard to the sharks, but enough lived to make it a very profitable venture. They had their lives and futures stolen away from them and were dishonored in every way possible. THAT's what happened to them. They weren't bothered by the fact that this island was less accommodating than the Dakar Hilton.

I'm not sure I could cheer for any of these teams to win, except for Kris and Jon ("Let's say a prayer" -- at the Gate of No Return -- was an appropriately hushed, gentle moment). And Don and MJ would be wonderful to watch as a couple, if they weren't such hapless racers.

Yay, Kris and Jon! Buh-bye, Don and MJ.

I don't think there is any reason to be embarrassed that we love this show because one of the racers is acting so badly. In fact, the producers did an outstanding job providing the context for all of his bad behavior.

This is why I believe it is all being set up for a solid rebuke in the future.

Bottom line: Jonathon deserves censure, but it needs to be done in a way that will not create new problems for Victoria. I would like to see Bruckheimer appear with Phil on the mat and read him the riot act, force him to apologize, and provide Victoria with some post-race reward (like a week at a spa) -- alone.

I also think he should be told that further abuse will result in dismissal for him, but Victoria can select any member of the race who is already eliminated and continue with that person.

Excellent ideas all, Tim.

I don't think I can join the letter-writing campaign, and I'm not going to boycott the show over Jonathan's troubling behavior. I have faith that Victoria -- not the AR producers, the network, or the viewing audience -- is going to put a stop to Jonathan's behavior.

Also, call me foolish but I'm not overly concerned about her personal safety. I think she's all too familiar with Jonathan's behavior, and although I might wish she'd taken drastic action in the past, I think she must have some coping mechanism that will manifest itself -- maybe erupt -- in an upcoming episode.

Christian, I certainly respect and understand not wanting to join the letter-writing campaign. I usually hate - I mean HATE - these types of things. Can't stand the Concerned Women of America trying to get Desperate Housewives (or insert name of other self-righteous watchdog group vs. current trashy show here) off the air because it's going to corrupt our moral values.

I'm also not interested in boycotting the show. But I am interested in letting CBS know that I expect better of Amazing Race. (Unfortunately, I don't expect better of CBS or any of the other networks, which would pimp their own grandmas for ratings.) And that I, a longtime fan, don't find this installment enjoyable because Fuller's behavior is beyond the pale of acceptable behavior for reality TV.

Also, when you say you have faith that Victoria's defense mechanism will kick in - see, that's my big gripe with reality shows. They cast real people into stock character types - so yeah, in a fictional drama show, Victoria would rise up and defeat the forces of evil (i.e her husband). That's what we expect on TV. But unless J&V are the world's greatest actors, this is actually their regular, real-life routine. And if you've spent any time around an abusive relationship (whether it's the male or female administering the abuse - and I've been around a few psychologicaly abusive relationships where the victim was the guy) - the abuser generally has such a strong handle on the victim's weaknesses that often the victim can't find the confidence or faith to break the hold. FWIW.

Victoria's a grownup, and unfortunately has to deal with the situation in her own way. But weren't you at least A LITTLE frightened when she expressed a desire to bring kids into the marriage?

I'm not sure I could cheer for any of these teams to win, except for Kris and Jon ("Let's say a prayer" -- at the Gate of No Return -- was an appropriately hushed, gentle moment).

Yeah, how great was that?

Super ideas. That's the kind of thing I'd hope a letter-writing campaign would accomplish.