Sign in to follow this  
DanBuck

Lunch with the artist of your choice....

Who would it be? And why? Got an actor, musician, writer, painter, or architect that you've always found interesting? Not as a celeb worship thing, but someone who you think would be engaging and whom you could have a great lunch experience with. And who would pick up the tab?

Who would it be?  And why? Got an actor, musician, writer, painter, or architect that you've always found interesting? Not as a celeb worship thing, but someone who you think would be engaging and whom you could have a great lunch experience with.  And who would pick up the tab?

I know it's unimaginative, following on the heels of the thread which begat this one, but Robert Duvall would be the first guy on my list. When I've seen him interviewed, he just seems so un-slick, so authentic. I admire his acting, I admire the choices of material he's made, and I admire the sacrifices he's made to see projects like TENDER MERCIES and THE APOSTLE get made.

We'd split the tab: he'd pay for my lunch, and I'd pay for his.

Ron

I'd have to go for Emily Saliers (of the Indigo Girls). She is one of my greatest influences as a poet. I also am fascinated by her spiritual journey and her emotional honesty.

In film, I'd probably go for Kevin Spacey. So intelligent, Juliard-trained, and I love his acting even in the films I'm not fond of. Peter Weir, would also be very good.

And in Lit., Kurt Vonnegut, hands down. The guy is the king of rabbit trails, but they all leads to gold.

I'd pick up the tab for Emily, Peter and Kurt, but Spacey's on his own.

In music, I'd pick Bono. Because he's my hero. Outside of people that I actually *know*, Bono has probably had the largest impact on my own life. And I'd pay; I've already spent so much money on U2 merchandise, another few bucks isn't going to kill me.

In film, it would be George Lucas. I'm inspired by his tremendous imagination. He's paying. He's got plenty of money. He won't mind.

And in literature, my two biggest heroes are both dead; Tolkien and O'Connor. So I'd pick... eh... is Norton Juster still alive? I really have no idea...

Bruce Cockburn: I'd love to hear about his travels, plus his integration of faith and social consciousness. We'd find a hole-in-the-wall serving good Asian or Middle Eastern food; I'd happily pick up the tab.

Ron wrote:

: I know it's unimaginative, following on the heels of the thread which

: begat this one, but Robert Duvall would be the first guy on my list.

So you forgive him for his remarks about Canadian actors? smile.gif

Some on the short list: John Irving, Anne Lamott, Peter Gomes (his homiletics are truely art), Pedro Martinez (pitching is truely an art and Pete would be great fun).

If we can include the dead: Harry Chapin, Edward Weston, Everett Dirksen (oratory).

Of these, Dirksen would probably top the list.

1. Sam Phillips and T-Bone Burnett.

2. Bono and Edge (and the other two, if they're up for it)

3. Jim Henson (too late)

4. JRR Tolkien (too late)

5. Linford Detweiler and Karin Bergquist

6. Annie Dillard0

7. Don and Karen Peris

8. Roger Ebert (and maybe Andrew Sarris)

I'd also love to hang out with Steve Martin and Eddie Izzard.

I like the inclusion of Pedro Martinez, Darrel. On that note, I suspect Curt Schilling would be a good conversationalist: terrific pitcher with many ups and downs in the majors ('93 Phillies and '01 D'backs), and a lover of baseball history, who expresses himself well (though the QuesTec machine he disagreed with might feel otherwise).

I had Schilling typed in, then decided to replace him with Pedro, who on a day he isn't pitching is great fun (hence he teammates ended up tying him to one of the poles in the dugout and gagging him one game.)

I'd love to get a chance to sit down and talk to Conan O'Brien.

And if the dead are allowed, I'd like to meet the Bronte sisters, especially Charlotte. They were three of the most courageous and passionate authors that ever lived.

"I'd love to have lunch with my missing rib...I'm pretty sure she's an artist."

...(laughing my head off)...

It would have to be Linford Detweiler, no question. He says it like no other. And just Linford; Karin is kind of intimidating.

But Tolkien sure would have been interesting. Apparently, he thoroughly enjoyed discussing Middle Earth and all its characters, stories, themes, languages, and whatnot. Provided, of course, that the conversation was reasonably intelligent. He found witless conversation insufferable.

Provided, of course, that the conversation was reasonably intelligent. He found witless conversation insufferable.

See, that's the thing. I can think of any number of people I'd love to meet, even. The thought of an entire lunch with them is almost too much. I know from experience that I would be so overawed that my conversation would, indeed, be witless and thus the entire meeting would be a waste of time--I wouldn't learn anything and the object of my admiration would think I'm insufferable. Better just to continue to admire them from afar, I think, until I become more ESTJ wink.gif Or perhaps just write a letter.

Near the top of my list would be Steven Spielberg, whose finest work is possibly still ahead of him, and who seems quite personable. I'd pay.

Lunch with Jack Nicholson would be memorable, perhaps intense. I'd also get a charge out of a David Letterman lunch.

Dead people: Jimmy Stewart, a classy icon.

Music: Paul McCartney. Norah Jones.

What would I bring to the conversation? Hard to imagine it would be interesting for the other guy... almost better to imagine sitting in on their lunch with someone else.

Tim

Joss Whedon - The Man is a genius

Marylin Manson - fascinating

Nelson Mandela - turn me into a leader

Jennifer Love Hewitt - so purty

M. Night Shamalanalana - interested in his faith and filmmaking

Well if two of them were still alive, I would love to have lunch and a chat with Tolkien, Lewis and Rowling.

Other people who I would be interested in having lunch and a discussion with....

living

Steven Spielberg

George Lucas

Haley Joel Osment

Bono

Matt Groening

Christopher Reeve

Michael J.Fox

not living

James Stewart

Alfred Hitchcock

Gregory Peck

Judy Garland

Jim Henson

Mel Blanc

Probably a bt of both.

However, my reason for chosing him (and Michael J.Fox) is more from reading their books.

After reading them, I wouldn't having a further discussion with them about some of the issues they have raised. Especially in Christopher Reeve's book 'Nothing is Impossible', where he expressess his views on faith and religion.

I think with what has happen to Christopher Reeve, there has been more interest in him than there has been before.

Or at least more interest from those, who may not have been big Superman fans, or not really a fan one way or another.

Certain circumstances in our lives are going to bring the attention of others.

Whether that attention is a good thing or a bad thing is another question.

I guess when it comes down to it, why do we want to have lunch and chat with any of the people listed? Is it because they are well known?

I mean if we didn't know something about these people and they were just unknowns passing us by in the street, would we have any interest in them at all?

I guess when it comes down to it, why do we want to have lunch and chat with any of the people listed? Is it because they are well known?

I mean if we didn't know something about these people and they were just unknowns passing us by in the street, would we have any interest in them at all?

Joss Whedon - The Man is a genius

I'm with you there. Maybe if I had a friend along, I wouldn't be quite so stunned and might be able to think of some interesting questions.

Speaking of which, excerpt from an interview with Dean Batali, who used to write for Buffy with Rob Des Hotel, and now does That 70's Show (which doesn't interest me at all, but whatever...):

http://www.voicebehind.com/voiceover_deanbatali.html

"VO: You wrote for the first two seasons of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. What did you learn about yourself as a writer during those years?

"DB: I learned to be a better writer, because [Joss Whedon] who ran the show was probably the best writer I've ever worked for, and he challenged us to come up to his level.

Oh come off it! Do we sound like celebrity hounds around here? We think these people are great artists!!! So, we want to learn what makes them tick. Sure there are great celebs out of the limelight, but I don't know who they are and buying lunch for every shmo until I find one seems uneconomical.

Oh come off it! Do we sound like celebrity hounds around here? We think these people are great artists!!! So, we want to learn what makes them tick. Sure there are great celebs out of the limelight, but I don't know who they are and buying lunch for every shmo until I find one seems uneconomical.

Firstly I am not accusing anyone of been celebrity hounds. Nor I am expecting anyone of buying lunch for every shmo out there.

I recognise that people here are interested in learning more from these great artists, and maybe for some they just want to learn more about them as people.

What am I saying, that often who we are, what we do and certain events in our lives, is what attracts us to people.

Maybe this belief comes from the personal experiences of been rejected during conversation with others, simply because I'm unemployed and/or single. Once I tell people this, suddenly they have no further interest in knowing me.

On a further note. Maybe you and I have a different definition on the word 'celebrity hound.'

To me celebrity hounds are those who spend their lives trying to make it to every celebrity studded event (ie, Oscars, Movie Premieres etc), so they can meet as many of their favorite celebrities as possible.

I certainly don't think anyone fits that description of a 'celebrity hound', and if you think this is what I have accused people of, than I apologise.

But I haven't, and I stand by that.

Y'know, in my line of work, I have interviewed a number of movie people, some of them as they were eating, but I can't recall actually eating myself as I was interviewing them -- I was usually taking notes or something. No particularly big names come to mind, though.