Well-Known Actors and Directors Who Are Believers?

Are they supposed to? Yes. Do they? Not necessarily.

Dale

Weird. (Side note: I was baptized Mennonite at the age of 11, and when I took communion back then, I always used to wonder how long I should wait AFTER communion before eating -- half an hour? an hour? etc. In my mind, it was kind of like how, when you go to the dentist and get your teeth cleaned, they always tell you to avoid food for a while afterwards. So when I began attending an Orthodox church and discovered that people were supposed to fast BEFORE the communion, I completely, totally, and unreservedly "got" it.)

According to David Niven, Errol Flynn got religion. Which was something of a shock to David, who had roomed with him for quite some time in their early days.

Of course, there is Andy Griffith, Fred Rogers, and Chuck Norris.

I've read in a few places that Toshiro Mifune's folks were Methodist missionaries, and he had some problems in Japanese society because he was non-Buddhist.

Oh, and Judge Reinhold!

Edited by Jason Panella

Weird. (Side note: I was baptized Mennonite at the age of 11, and when I took communion back then, I always used to wonder how long I should wait AFTER communion before eating -- half an hour? an hour? etc. In my mind, it was kind of like how, when you go to the dentist and get your teeth cleaned, they always tell you to avoid food for a while afterwards. So when I began attending an Orthodox church and discovered that people were supposed to fast BEFORE the communion, I completely, totally, and unreservedly "got" it.)

Traditionally in the Catholic Church, communicants should not eat for 15 minutes after communion, until the substances of the bread and wine are reassumed. Not that many Catholics are conscious of this, though (at least in my experience).

We serve doughnuts at the start of Sunday School which precedes, for most of the younger portion of the congregation, the worship service.

Since we're Baptists, we believe the elements do not become the body and blood of Christ. The presence of Christ is found in the participation in the community of the saints (communion) gathered together in the name of Jesus. The presence of Christ is quite real, but it is not distributed in the elements themselves.

Jeff wrote:

: Traditionally in the Catholic Church, communicants should not eat for 15 minutes after communion, until the

: substances of the bread and wine are reassumed.

Okay, Dale says "before" and Jeff says "after" -- now I'm confused.

Tangent: Is food really fully digested within 15 minutes?

Other tangent: If "before" is the more accurate preposition, how LONG before? In my neck of the Orthodox woods, there is generally no eating (or sex, for that matter) after midnight, if the liturgy is served in the morning, and none after noon, if the liturgy is served in the evening.

Jeff wrote:

: Traditionally in the Catholic Church, communicants should not eat for 15 minutes after communion, until the

: substances of the bread and wine are reassumed.

Okay, Dale says "before" and Jeff says "after" -- now I'm confused.

It's BOTH. But 15 minutes should get you through the end of the service. But you may have to linger a bit before diving into post-service delicacies.

Let's hear it for the Reformation. ;)

In my neck of the Orthodox woods, there is generally no eating (or sex, for that matter) after midnight, if the liturgy is served in the morning, and none after noon, if the liturgy is served in the evening.

I'm afraid to ask... but why the prohibition on sex? Is there some sort of view that sexual activity is incompatible with the liturgy or does it involve, um... :unsure: possible consumables during that time.

TexasWill wrote:

: I'm afraid to ask... but why the prohibition on sex?

No idea. You're supposed to abstain during Lent, too, so it's just one of those fasting things -- one of those passions you learn to control.

There are exceptions to these prohibitions, of course -- I had a semi-bad case of the flu last weekend and took some Tylenol before going to the service, and that was okay. I also took some Vitamin C, too, and I felt mildly guilty about that because they were the orange-flavoured chewable ones -- but since it never occurs to me to take them unless I'm sick, I figured I was in the clear. It wasn't like I was eating candy. :)

BTW, I believe the "prohibition" against sex is the main reason why Orthodox weddings tend to be on Sundays -- often after the morning liturgy -- rather than on Saturdays, when the couple (and others) might be expected to abstain from certain things after midnight, in anticipation of the next day's service. :)

Kidman, Urban in Australia to marry

During her marriage to Cruise, Kidman was introduced to scientology. But Father Coleman, who advised on Kidman's marriage annulment, said the upcoming marriage to Urban showed that scientology had not undermined her Catholic faith. "For Nicole, you know this is a spiritual homecoming, coming back to the church and her faith in her old parish," Coleman told Catholic News Service earlier this month.

Reuters, June 19

Is Paul Thomas Anderson spritual? I know most (basically all) of his films have spritual/biblical metaphors and meanings, and his next film looks like no exception. Has he spoken about any of this?

Stephen Colbert

Probably -- according to his Wikipedia entry, he teaches Sunday School.

It seems pretty certain, according to this blog commentary, which quotes from a 2004 interview in which he discusses the relationship between his faith and his comedy.

In a 2005 interview, asked "How do you square your Catholicism with comedy?" Colbert said

I love my Church, and I'm a Catholic who was raised by intellectuals, who were very devout. I was raised to believe that you could question the Church and still be a Catholic. What is worthy of satire is the misuse of religion for destructive or political gains. That's totally different from the Word, the blood, the body and the Christ. His kingdom is not of this earth.

In a 2005 interview, asked "How do you square your Catholicism with comedy?" Colbert said

...His kingdom is not of this earth.

Obviously someone hasn't been reading his N.T. Wright.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Do you mean Jesus? IIRC, that's nearly a direct quote...

:P

Kidman, Urban in Australia to marry

During her marriage to Cruise, Kidman was introduced to scientology. But Father Coleman, who advised on Kidman's marriage annulment, said the upcoming marriage to Urban showed that scientology had not undermined her Catholic faith. "For Nicole, you know this is a spiritual homecoming, coming back to the church and her faith in her old parish," Coleman told Catholic News Service earlier this month.

Reuters, June 19

I'd always heard rumors, still curious.

This is heresay, but someone told me that Robert Downey Jr. revealed being a Christian a while back. Don't have any proof though.

Is Paul Thomas Anderson spritual? I know most (basically all) of his films have spritual/biblical metaphors and meanings, and his next film looks like no exception. Has he spoken about any of this?

Hey Hipster, I know this is a little late but anyway... Anderson's films absolutely have a spiritual side. Check out the books "Reel Spirituality" and "Useless Beauty" by Robert K. Johnston. He has alot of interesting interpretations of the spirituality in Anderson's films. As far as Anderson's actual beliefs I think's he's most likely agnostic/ searching. He has said in interviews that when he first wrote the "Magnolia" screenplay he wasn't aware there was a rain of frogs in the bible. Someone pointed it out to him and then he added the scripture numbers everywhere in the background.

Denzel Washington?

According to this recent interview, yes:

A member of the Church of God in Christ, the actor has been married to wife Pauletta for almost 25 years....

RD: Do you think of yourself as a spiritual person?

Washington: Definitely.

RD: In what way?

Washington: I read the Bible every day. I

This info on Washington makes it interesting that The Great Debaters opens with an invocation.

John Woo (sorta). He seems to be using broken English; I sure hope he knows and thinks of Jesus as more than a helpful philosopher.

I've seen several other interviews with him about his beliefs, and they were a bit more solid than this. I can't seem to find them online, though.

FWIW, I believe Heigl was raised Mormon. I don't know if she subscribes to any particular religion nowadays.

Peter, did you see this post? I'm not sure it answers the question clearly, but her comments are worth reading.

Oo! Oo! Oo!

Listening to the interviews of Penny Johnnson (best known for _The Larry Sanders Show_ and Former First Lady Sherry Palmer in _24_)... she stated she was a Christian... and shared amicably how she was quite miffed that she was forced to utter some obscene language in an episode of Larry Sanders... She seems like a real nice actress in real life.

Nick