Any Iona fans?

Josh Hurst

Anyone familiar with British band Iona? If you're not, then you should be. You're unlikely to find a more skilled group of rock musicians these days.

Iona newbies should try to track down a copy of the live double album, Heaven's Bright Sun. It's got a lot of their most popular songs on it.

Anyway, for fans... favorite albums? Songs?

I think their best album is Open Sky, with Beyond These Shores in close second place. Favorite songs include:

Encircling

Castlerigg

Murlough Bay (too bad Murlough never posts here anymore...)

Songs of Ascent (Part I is my fave, though the whole trilogy is wonderful)

Today

Bird of Heaven

That should get us started...

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Not a fan, per se, but I did interview Joanne Hogg here.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I'm very fond of Beyond These Shores and The Book of Kells -- the former would be on my list of 20 favorite albums -- but their other three studio albums haven't done much for me.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I've been an Iona fan for a few years. Have Beyond These Shores, Journey into the Morn, and The Book of Kells (which I can't find just now, but it's around here somewhere).

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Big time!

One of the greatest live performances I have ever seen was Iona at Cornerstone ('94? '95).

Yeah, I've never seen them live, but I can tell from their live albums that their show is astonishing. Too bad they don't tour much anymore, what with Joanna being a new mother and all.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Iona newbies should try to track down a copy of the live double album, Heaven's Bright Sun. It's got a lot of their most popular songs on it.

And my own personal copy of Iona's Heaven's Bright Sun is up on Ebay, in a nice Celtic/Folk Christian CD Lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2550452847

I agree, it's a great first Iona album. Once I got the others, I didn't listen to it as much.

Nick

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Other than Open Sky, their studio albums don't do much for me. But their live albums are great! I love putting them on as background music when I write.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

In light of the worship music thread, I should mention that I consider Iona to be the best worship band making music today, technically speaking. smile.gif See "Songs of Ascent."

Oh, and Darryl, right on about Open Sky. I think that one's a masterpiece.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com