Sign in to follow this  
Christian

House

This one may be falling off our taping schedule very soon. The characters don't seem to be going anywhere. It's just a matter of the typical routine (unknown disease, try something that almost kills patient, figure it out) week after week. The Joel Grey episode was a nice variation, but I don't expect many of that quality.

I'm with Ken. I've read some comments from other disenchanted fans about the Morse episodes, and I can't help but wonder what, exactly, people expect out of this show. I'm grateful that the increasing ratings belie the negative remarks from some of the show's fans.

I just thank God that Wilson finally stood up to House. If he didn't do that soon, I was going to have to write a letter or something. The Wilson/House relationship is pretty much my favorite element of the show (especially since this season House's crew has been mostly relegated to eye-rolling and exchanging incredulous looks), and it was really bugging me that Wilson wasn't getting more pissed than he was. Yay for angry Wilson!

Is anybody still watching this show besides me? I know there have to be others, since it's still the highest rated drama on TV. Last year's shortened season with the newbies brought a breath of fresh air to the series, but I'm finding this years episodes a little hard to watch. The writers have definitely hit on a formula that is quickly getting old - the formula of the patients story being allegorical to one of the docs personal problems, This would occasionally show up before, but this year it has been every episode so far. The last two weeks this formula was pretty much sledgehammered at the viewer. Although I will say that the episode from last week, House attending his dad's funeral, was excellent when it focused on the the Wilson/House relationship. Last nights episode was one of the weaker efforts, IMHO.

I'm still a fan, although last year took a toll. It was an OK season, and I don't object to trying out new ideas/characters. But I didn't respond to any of them too much, and the season finale was almost jump-the-shark territory. This year I've missed the first few episodes because I've been out on Tuesday nights, but I watched last night. Not having seen the other episodes, I didn't find the allegorical aspect annoying.

However, ummm ... how not to sound like a prude? Oh, screw it -- there's no excuse for FOX putting this show on at 8 p.m., which was once "the family hour." The show has become *more racy* recently, and last night's episode was -- wow! I'm surprised, Baal, that you didn't mention the girl-on-girl action, which I think might be groundbreaking on network TV -- certainly in the 8 p.m. hour, right? Maybe I should retract that "certainly." I expect standards to shift (slide), but last night's episode was shocking on that score.

wow! I'm surprised, Baal, that you didn't mention the girl-on-girl action, which I think might be groundbreaking on network TV -- certainly in the 8 p.m. hour, right? Maybe I should retract that "certainly." I expect standards to shift (slide), but last night's episode was shocking on that score.

Actually, I had quite a bit more to say about this season, not the least of which would have included the family hour girl-on-girl aspect. But I was pressed for time this morning, as I am now. Good to know I'm not the only remaining viewer. Hope to have more to say later.

However, ummm ... how not to sound like a prude? Oh, screw it -- there's no excuse for FOX putting this show on at 8 p.m., which was once "the family hour." The show has become *more racy* recently, and last night's episode was -- wow! I'm surprised, Baal, that you didn't mention the girl-on-girl action, which I think might be groundbreaking on network TV -- certainly in the 8 p.m. hour, right? Maybe I should retract that "certainly." I expect standards to shift (slide), but last night's episode was shocking on that score.

Yeah, I have to agree. I know a lot of teens watch the show. It's never been a kiddie show (and sometimes I get uncomfortable thinking of all those teens), but I think this one did cross a line. Even though the 8 p.m. hour is a bit more convenient for me personally, I'd rather they moved it later, or else cleaned it up. They don't have to make House all sunshiny -- he wouldn't be House then -- but they didn't have to go that far, either.

NPR asks, "How much would a House call actually cost?"

I ask, "Did we finally nuke the tissue-sample fridge at the end of this season's finale?"

Edited by mrmando

NPR asks, "How much would a House call actually cost?"

I ask, "Did we finally nuke the tissue-sample fridge at the end of this season's finale?"

Our reception went crazy the night of the finale, preventing us from tuning it in. We said we'd watch it online, after 6 or 8 days -- whatever the time frame is for FOX to put its shows online -- but we never sat down to watch that last broadcast.

Is it worth it?

Well, I thought it was one of the better episodes I had seen in a while. Then came that left-field ending, which I didn't buy then and don't buy now. I predict you'll like it right up till the end. Then you'll go, "Wha....huh? No way."

Well, I thought it was one of the better episodes I had seen in a while. Then came that left-field ending, which I didn't buy then and don't buy now. I predict you'll like it right up till the end. Then you'll go, "Wha....huh? No way."

Exactly. This whole season has been a revival for the series, and the finale had all the makings of a classic. Still good, but an implausible ending. The writers should have known better.

This year I did a first (well... since the Twin Peaks video tapes came out decades ago) and tuned into Netflix for eight seasons of House. I fell asleep on two or three, but for the most part, I watched the entire series, and I found it sooo. much. fun.

The series as a whole is actually quite fascinating, especially from the perspective of an addict. They always say in AA that if you don't do something about your problem, you are on the road to institutions, jail or death. While the show obviously has to play to House's comedic side, I think it also took big risks in sending House to both an institution, and later, jail. And in the series finale, which, the more I think about the more I really love, House makes a sacrifice in death that is actually quite amazing -- a sacrifice for love. Platonic love. This is not a sacrifice for a woman.

Looking back on the series as a whole, my favorite moments were when there were thirty or forty interns.

My favorite scene was when House sat in front of the three underlings and drank a man's breast milk. (supposedly.)

This is one of those shows I used to watch quite a bit in re-runs, and I always wanted to watch it from beginning to end. At the moment, movies cost too much and pay off way too little -- and settling into a series takes away the whole "what should I watch next" factor because for a few months it's always there.

When I finished the series, I gotta say I kinda felt a hole. LOL, but no lie. I have now started The X-Files, and I'm in season two.

Has Netflix streaming changed the way we choose our viewing habits? At the moment, I have to say "Yes."

This year I did a first (well... since the Twin Peaks video tapes came out decades ago) and tuned into Netflix for eight seasons of House. I fell asleep on two or three, but for the most part, I watched the entire series, and I found it sooo. much. fun.

The series as a whole is actually quite fascinating, especially from the perspective of an addict. They always say in AA that if you don't do something about your problem, you are on the road to institutions, jail or death. While the show obviously has to play to House's comedic side, I think it also took big risks in sending House to both an institution, and later, jail. And in the series finale, which, the more I think about the more I really love, House makes a sacrifice in death that is actually quite amazing -- a sacrifice for love. Platonic love. This is not a sacrifice for a woman.

Looking back on the series as a whole, my favorite moments were when there were thirty or forty interns.

My favorite scene was when House sat in front of the three underlings and drank a man's breast milk. (supposedly.)

This is one of those shows I used to watch quite a bit in re-runs, and I always wanted to watch it from beginning to end. At the moment, movies cost too much and pay off way too little -- and settling into a series takes away the whole "what should I watch next" factor because for a few months it's always there.

When I finished the series, I gotta say I kinda felt a hole. LOL, but no lie. I have now started The X-Files, and I'm in season two.

Has Netflix streaming changed the way we choose our viewing habits? At the moment, I have to say "Yes."

This is very much in line with my experience: I had watched the entire show when it was airing-- I am obsessed with all things Hugh Laurie, after all-- and always liked it. My wife and I have just rewatched the entire series on Netflix, as well, and to be honest, I think I like it more than ever. It holds up; it takes more narrative risks than I acknowledged at the time, and the ending is indeed both bold and inspiring.

I also agree that the first half of season 4-- with the intern reality show in full swing-- is arguably my favorite stretch of the entire series, though there are also some great formal experiments in the sixth season-- the Wilson-centric episode, the Cuddy-centric one, and especially the two-parter in the institution.

Worst stretch in the entire series: House's battle with the cop, played by David Morse, whose obsessions with House simply strains credulity.

Laurie's performance is as good as any I have seen on TV-- and sustained over close to 200 episodes!

How cool to have another series House fan, not to mention one who has been watching recently!

Worst stretch in the entire series: House's battle with the cop, played by David Morse, whose obsessions with House simply strains credulity.

I gotta admit that I loved the antagonism between the cop and House, and think they had some great exchanges. Similarly, when PPTH is later "bought" by the millionaire and House gets a new boss -- these were antagonists that I really kinda liked.

If I had to go with a "worst" moment, understanding that the "worsts" in House might be better than much else out there, I would have to go with Season Eight in general before the last few wrap-up episodes, and Dr. Chi, who never did anything for me at all, and whose friendship with Chase seemed rather unbelievable.

Laurie's performance is as good as any I have seen on TV-- and sustained over close to 200 episodes!

Agreed! And they developed so many sides to this character -- including the music he loved playing, which seemed to give him a soul when he sometimes needed it (or perhaps needed to be seen with a soul).

Speaking of music, one thing I really wish I had done was go through the series with a notebook. As you may remember from my old posts, I love watching everything with subtitles on. Whenever a song came on in House, you would get the band name and title of the song, and typically a few of the lyrics. Kinda nice.

There were so many great songs in the show which I hadn't heard before. Here's another way in which House inspired me: I am playing music these days, either on my own or with a friend, three to four days or nights a week. One of the covers I love doing at the moment is "How to Fight Loneliness," by Wilco, a band which I have never really gotten into. (Don't know why.) Learned that song from a great scene in House -- the show that keeps giving and giving and giving!

Edited by Persona

Hmmm. Count me as skeptical -- and I was a huge fan of this show! I just don't have much desire to revisit the series, especially the last couple of seasons. I threw in the towel after House drove his car into someone's living room (I forget who). I don't recall  how close to the end of the run that episode was.

When I think of House fondly, I think of:

1. Hugh Laurie

2. Olivia Wilde

But sometimes I reverse the order.

Hmmm. Count me as skeptical -- and I was a huge fan of this show! I just don't have much desire to revisit the series, especially the last couple of seasons. I threw in the towel after House drove his car into someone's living room (I forget who). I don't recall  how close to the end of the run that episode was.

When I think of House fondly, I think of:

1. Hugh Laurie

2. Olivia Wilde

But sometimes I reverse the order.

Haha. I think that on many lists, Wilde would somehow make her way to the top.

I understand what you are saying about the outlandishness of that scene, Christian. (It was Lisa Cuddy's house, btw.) But what you've got to understand is that it really does fit into that AA/addict trajectory I described above. In the past few years as a recovering addict I have been able to get to know many people. Many stories. Becoming so consumed with the need for your love, inability to express this need and going to incredible lengths to express the frustration without words are all exactly on the mark for a character who would have been through House's experiences. Post-addiction recovery is more than just "not using." It is about changing your lifestyle and addressing what made you use in the first place. IIRC, House had relapsed before driving the car into her living room, and had stopped seeing the therapist to try and address the issues that were driving him to use.

Note, too -- that his next stop (upon returning to the country) -- was jail.

Pick up any newspaper and you will find similar stories. Go to any weekly meeting and you will see this personalized. People who, sometimes in habitual addiction, sometimes already in recovery -- have done things that are just as crazy, just as stupid. These are otherwise smart people (well -- most of the time)... Many times the most intelligent people that have gone this route in life do things which can only be described as "acts of insanity."

Whether it works for the average viewer I cannot say. It was near the end of a series that was on its way out. But the way I watch it, I'm telling you -- it was not only possible, it was very real.

The event you describe was the finale of season 7, Christian-- so it sounds like you just missed the final season. Admittedly, that's probably the weakest season, though the last few episodes are most excellent.

I stand by this, though: The series played better in hindsight than it did while airing; binge-watching actually works in the show's favor, or so it seems to me.

(Incidentally, I like Olivia Wilde a lot, both in general and on this show, though I don't think the character Thirteen was ever as interesting to me as she seemed to be to House, or, evidently, to the writers of 'House.')

Stef, that's a great point. I think I objected so strenuously to that scene because I thought "that would never happen," although if memory serves, it was the culmination of a string of moments that just didn't seem right, or well-written. Now you have me wondering if I just didn't have the correct perspective.

Josh: I don't know that I found Thirteen all that interesting, but Wilde is one of the very few performers who made me ask myself, on first glance, "Is she real?" She's that kind of good-looking. Funny how now when I see her I don't think that, and haven't thought that for ages. But that first season she was on House was something.

Becoming so consumed with the need for your love, inability to express this need and going to incredible lengths to express the frustration without words are all exactly on the mark for a character who would have been through House's experiences. Post-addiction recovery is more than just "not using." It is about changing your lifestyle and addressing what made you use in the first place. IIRC, House had relapsed before driving the car into her living room, and had stopped seeing the therapist to try and address the issues that were driving him to use.

Whether it works for the average viewer I cannot say. It was near the end of a series that was on its way out. But the way I watch it, I'm telling you -- it was not only possible, it was very real.

Yes! 

The NA scenes in Elementary alone are worth watching the series and make me wish House had delved into a little more musing that direction.

I'm a fan, but my issue with the show is that as it progressed the characters became more caricatures of themselves rather than more fully realized/developed. I appreciated how the writers pushed themselves away from formula by letting plots/arcs develop organically, but the actors struck me as on autopilot the last season or two, with little to do other than hit their character beats. (In that regard, the show reminds me a bit of M*A*S*H*).

Edited by kenmorefield

Also, in retrospect (I'm in Season 4), I find the way Greg verbally abuses and sexually harasses Cuddy to be a serious blight that just poisons the show.

I get the character is irreverent. I get that the audience likes anti-political correctness. But there is a point in which being irreverent crosses over into simple cruelty, and I'm not sure the show knows the difference.

Why I'm Kind of Tired of the Smartest Guy in the Room.

But there's also the fact that this stereotype — like all stereotypes — is comforting. It's comforting to people who see themselves as "smart guys," because these dudes are basically perfect except for a few brilliant flaws. But it's also comforting to everyone else, because it confirms our basic sense that people who are smarter than us are messed-up individuals, who can't communicate with other people and who are missing some basic element of humanity. We get to fantasize about being the ubersmart jerk, while also comforting ourselves with the notion that we wouldn't really want to be that smart.