Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

25 Films Added to National Film Registry

51 posts in this topic

I always look forward to this announcement. It amazes me each year that some of the films weren't already named to the registry. (Like Oklahoma! and 12 Angry Men). Happy to see The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance added. Questionable choice of the year: Back to the Future. Looking forward to seeing Sex Life of a Polyp. ;)

SDG wrote:

: Oh, I see you're counting it along with Robin Hood, so it's really a Top 11. Nevermind...

Yeah, I grew up watching both films kind of interchangeably, so I can't really separate them into separate entries. It helps that each film is so good that it deserves to be on an all-time-best list anyway. :)

Link to the thread on 2003's inductees, and link to the thread on 'Movies that SHOULD be on National Film Registry?'

Variety and the Associated Press have this year's list:

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The LOC press release has comments about the films.

Films on this list I'd like to find and watch (good luck on some):

Water and Power

One Week (Keaton!!!)

Johnny Guitar

The Pawnbroker

Edited by Darrel Manson

'Thriller' to be preserved in US film registry

Joining the King of Pop in the 2009 class will be the Muppets from 1979's "The Muppet Movie" — the first time on the big screen for Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy — and the 1957 sci-fi classic "The Incredible Shrinking Man," among other titles.

Is it too much to ask for whoever wrote that story to add (or at least link to) a list of the 25 films for this year instead of just going over their idea of the highlights? I guess so. LOC site doesn't even have the press release up yet.

FWIW, www.loc.gov does have the info on its website, but so far I've only been able to find it via this PDF file. Here are the titles, with the ones I'm sure I've seen in bold:

• Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
  • The Exiles (1961)
  • Heroes All (1920)
  • Hot Dogs for Gauguin (1972)
  • The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
  • Jezebel (1938)
  • The Jungle (1967)
  • The Lead Shoes (1949)
  • Little Nemo (1911)
  • Mabel's Blunder (1914)
  • The Mark of Zorro (1940)
  • Mrs. Miniver (1942)
  • The Muppet Movie (1979)
  • Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
  • Pillow Talk (1959)
  • Precious Images (1986)
  • Quasi at the Quackadero (1975)
  • The Red Book (1994)
  • The Revenge of Pancho Villa (1930-1936)
  • Scratch and Crow (1995)
  • Stark Love (1927)
  • The Story of G.I. Joe (1945)
  • A Study in Reds (1932)
  • Thriller (1983)
  • Under Western Stars (1938)

Peter, you've never seen ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? For shame. Serious, serious shame. See it. Pronto.

(And that goes for anyone else out there who hasn't seen Sergio Leone's greatest film.)

Edited by Ryan H.

Peter, you've never seen ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? For shame. Serious, serious shame. See it. Pronto.

(And that goes for anyone else out there who hasn't seen Sergio Leone's greatest film.)

Saw half of it. Turned it off when it was apparently getting repetitious. Sor-ry.

Ryan H. wrote:

: Peter, you've never seen ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? For shame. Serious, serious shame. See it. Pronto.

: (And that goes for anyone else out there who hasn't seen Sergio Leone's greatest film.)

Alas, I've never been much for Westerns. I only got around to watching the 'Man with No Name' trilogy for the first time a few years ago (some time AFTER I had seen Once Upon a Time in Mexico and had heard that the trilogy of which it was a part was semi-modelled on Leone's trilogy). But fear not, I shall rectify this as soon as I can. :)

Alas, I've never been much for Westerns.

I like some Westerns, but I'm hardly a fan of the entire genre. I really like Sergio Leone's stuff--particularly ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, which is a masterclass on how to create indelible cinematic images--and I can dig one or two of the Clint Eastwood flicks, like THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES and UNFORGIVEN, just because I like Eastwood's persona. I've seen quite a few of the John Wayne Westerns, and while I can appreciate some of them--like THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE--I didn't find anything to truly love. As far as the more recent Westerns go, I did very much like THE PROPOSITION and THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD, but they're hardly typical of the genre, and it would feel wrong to sit them alongside more conventional Western fare like 3:10 TO YUMA or APPALOOSA or OPEN RANGE.

But fear not, I shall rectify this as soon as I can. :)

Excellent. I do hope you enjoy what you find there. It's the Western at its most operatic. And to respond to Nick's comment above, the narrative structure is a bit sloppy (Leone was never great about refining his scripts), so the film is actually somewhat repetitive in the middle, but bear with it. Even at twenty minutes too long, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is majestic.

Hot Dogs for Gauguin? Martin Brest's 22 minute student film made this list? Pretty hard to find. anybody have a clue as to why it's here?

Just placed a hold on the LA County Library's copy of The Exiles.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Ryan, you have to understand that Peter once had the opportunity to see Leone's Once Upon a Time, the Revolution (aka Duck, You Sucker) on the big screen, but took his then fiancee to see, if memory serves, Paycheck, or some utterly forgettable action vehicle his girl wanted to see. This despite pleadings from me that he sacrifice potential lifelong love and matrimony for the opportunity to see Leone's great film on the big screen.

As for Once Upon a Time in the West, it's exceptional, but if you haven't seen many Westerns, it won't play as the great homage that it is. It still probably plays pretty well, but it summarized the genre and effectively capped it (ended it) for many years, until the genre's temporary revival in the late 1980s.

Ryan, you have to understand that Peter once had the opportunity to see Leone's Once Upon a Time, the Revolution (aka Duck, You Sucker) on the big screen, but took his then fiancee to see, if memory serves, Paycheck, or some utterly forgettable action vehicle his girl wanted to see. This despite pleadings from me that he sacrifice potential lifelong love and matrimony for the opportunity to see Leone's great film on the big screen.

I can't say I'm too devastated he missed out on ONCE UPON A TIME... THE REVOLUTION/A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE/DUCK, YOU SUCKER! since it's the only Leone film I dislike (though it does feature a wonderfully entertaining turn from James Coburn). That said, I've only seen it once, and perhaps it merits another viewing. Regardless, it's certainly a good sight better than PAYCHECK.

As for Once Upon a Time in the West, it's exceptional, but if you haven't seen many Westerns, it won't play as the great homage that it is. It still probably plays pretty well, but it summarized the genre and effectively capped it (ended it) for many years, until the genre's temporary revival in the late 1980s.

When I first saw ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, the only other Western I'd seen was THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY (which I'd liked a great deal, and I was eager to see more Leone). It still managed to knock me on my rear end. I wasn't necessarily able to appreciate what it was doing in terms of the genre until later, but it was still an entirely effective experience in and of itself. Beautiful stuff.

What do you make of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA?

What do you make of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA?

I wish I liked it more than I do. Gangster films are not my specialty, so it's possible I'm missing out on some of the significance of America. I've seen both cuts. It has memorable passages and moments, but it lacks any sense of the "fun" that West has (for me, at least). It's a serious film, and at times, a very ugly one.

The LOC press release with comments about each film

In the day I've had to ponder this, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Has it gotten to the point that we're preserving Canadian shorts like Scratch and Crow? (OK, I've never seen it, I just need to tweak the noses of those north of the 49th)

The Class of 2010

Airplane!

Malcolm X

The Exorcist

and my favorite addition: McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Edited by Darrel Manson

The class of 2011 announced.

My first thoughts: You mean Bambi, The Lost Weekend and The Kid weren't already on the list??? Think I need to look up Faces and The Twentieth Century. The Negro Soldier looks interesting too

(update: I put a hold on The Negro Soldier at the library.)

Edited by Darrel Manson

If you live in So Cal, These Amazing Shadows, a doc about the National Film Registry will play this Sunday at 5pm on PBS station KOCE. Don't know if it is playing elsewhere. Part of Independent Lens series.

If you live in So Cal, These Amazing Shadows, a doc about the National Film Registry will play this Sunday at 5pm on PBS station KOCE. Don't know if it is playing elsewhere. Part of Independent Lens series.

You can look here to see if/when it plays on your PBS station

I'm sorry I'm so late with the Class of 2012

Films Selected to the 2012 National Film Registry

• 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
  • Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
  • The Augustas (1930s-1950s)
  • Born Yesterday (1950)
  • Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)
  • A Christmas Story (1983)
  • The Corbett-Fitzsimmons Title Fight (1897)
  • Dirty Harry (1971)
  • Hours for Jerome: Parts 1 and 2 (1980-82)
  • The Kidnappers Foil (1930s-1950s)
  • Kodachrome Color Motion Picture Tests (1922)
  • A League of Their Own (1992)
  • The Matrix (1999)
  • The Middleton Family at the New York World’s Fair (1939)
  • One Survivor Remembers (1995)
  • Parable (1964)
  • Samsara: Death and Rebirth in Cambodia (1990)
  • Slacker (1991)
  • Sons of the Desert (1933)
  • The Spook Who Sat by the Door (1973)
  • They Call It Pro Football (1966)
  • The Times of Harvey Milk (1984)
  • Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin (1914)
  • The Wishing Ring; An Idyll of Old England (1914)

A few coments:

Two-Lane Blacktop finally made it. I know fans have been pushing ofr it for years. I never saw the appeal.

Anybody know about Parable?It's not in Netflix or in the LA County Library System

In the 1930s, a number of Protestant groups, concerned about the perceived meretricious effects of Hollywood films, began producing non-theatrical motion pictures to spread the gospel of Jesus. "Parable" followed a filmmaking tradition that has not very often been recognized in general accounts of American film history. One of the most acclaimed and controversial films in this tradition, "Parable" debuted at the New York World’s Fair in May 1964 as the main attraction of the Protestant and Orthodox Center. Without aid of dialogue or subtitles, the film relies on music and an allegorical story that represents the "Circus as the World," in the words of Rolf Forsberg, who wrote and co-directed the film with Tom Rook for the Protestant Council of New York. "Parable" depicts Jesus as an enigmatic, chalk-white, skull-capped circus clown who takes on the sufferings of oppressed workers, including women and minorities. The film generated controversy even before its initial screening. The fair’s president Robert Moses sought to have it withdrawn. Other fair organizers resigned with one exclaiming, "No one is going to make a clown out of my Jesus." A disgruntled minister threatened to riddle the screen with shotgun holes if the film was shown. Undaunted, viewers voted overwhelmingly to keep the film running, and it became one of the fair’s most popular attractions. Newsweek proclaimed it "very probably the best film at the fair" and Time described it as "an art film that got religion." The Fellini- and Bergman-inspired film received the 1966 Religious Film Award of the National Catholic Theatre Conference, along with honors at the 1966 Cannes, Venice and Edinburgh film festivals. It subsequently became a popular choice for screenings in both liberal and conservative churches.

Thanks for that info, Darrel -- I may have to blog it.

We have a thread on Parable and its director here. I probably still have my VHS copy somewhere.

2013's selections:

1. Bless Their Little Hearts (1984)
  2. Brandy in the Wilderness (1969)
  3. Cicero March (1966)
  4. Daughter of Dawn (1920)
  5. Decasia (2002)
  6. Ella Cinders (1926)
  7. Forbidden Planet (1956)
  8. Gilda (1946)
  9. The Hole (1962)
  10. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
  11. King of Jazz (1930)
  12. The Lunch Date (1989)
  13. The Magnificent Seven (1960)
  14. Martha Graham Early Dance Films (1931-1944)
  15. Mary Poppins (1964)
  16. Men and Dust (1940)
  17. Midnight (1939)
  18. Notes on the Port of St. Francis (1951)
  19. Pulp Fiction (1994)
  20. The Quiet Man (1952)
  21. The Right Stuff (1983)
  22. Roger & Me (1989)
  23. A Virtuous Vamp (1919)
  24. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
  25. Wild Boys of the Road (1933)

This is a very good class. I'll have to start looking to see what's in the library system.  (I love living in LA County)

The Class of 2014

The one for which my 1st reaction was "Really? That's not there already?": The Big Lebowski, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, House of Wax, Rosemary's Baby.

The one I'm most interested in seeing: The Way of Peace (1947 short, from American Lutheran Church. Available on YouTube)

Also of interest if I can find it: 13 Lakes