Remembering _Casablanca_ on its 60th birthday...

You must remember this...

"It is a little game we play. They put it on the bill, I tear up the bill. It is all very convenient."

"I'm just writing the report now. We haven't quite decided whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape."

"I'm shocked, shocked! to find that gambling is going on in here!"

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

"You played it for her, you can play it for me! If she can stand it, I can!"

"Mostly, I remember the last one, the wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain, with a comical look on his face, because his insides have been kicked out."

"I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid."

"Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects."

"Louie, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

...as time goes by.

Thanks for that, samshan. I remember the first time I saw Casablanca (several years ago). I was amazed at how much of the dialogue I already knew, just because it had entered the culture. One of the most enjoyable movies I've ever seen.

J Robert

Never heard of it. This is a movie? Is it supposed to be good?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

And to think that the original cast was supposed have be Ronald Reagan and Ann Sheridan as leads.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Renault : And what in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick : My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Renault : Waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick : I was misinformed.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Rich Kennedy wrote:

: And to think that the original cast was supposed have be Ronald Reagan

: and Ann Sheridan as leads.

Actually, I've heard that Ebert pooh-poohs that myth in his commentary on the new 60th-anniversary edition DVD.

SDG wrote:

: Except, wait, why are we remembering Casablanca this year?

Because there's a new 60th-anniversary edition DVD, I guess. (Which, BTW, if I get this new disc -- and it looks like I'll have to -- would make this at least the fourth film that I will have bought on DVD twice, the others being The Usual Suspects, Memento and The Fellowship of the Ring. The latter two films were released in very, very different sets, so I'm holding on to 'em all, but it seems that my old Casablanca disc, like my old Usual Suspects disc, will be entirely redundant.)

: '42 film, right? I'm no math whiz, but wouldn't that make it 61 years old?

According to the IMDB, the film had its New York premiere in November 1942 and its Los Angeles premiere in January 1943. I'm not sure when the film actually went into RELEASE, though it seems Argentina got the film in December 1942. ... Oh, wait, the IMDB's trivia page has this to say, too:

The Allies invaded Casablanca in real life on 8 November 1942. As the film was not due for release until spring, studio executives suggested it be changed to incorporate the invasion. Warner objected: an invasion was a subject worth a whole film, not just an epilogue, and anyway the main story of this film demanded a pre-invasion setting. Apparently he then gave in and Wallis prepared to shoot an epilogue where Bogart and Rains hear about the invasion. But before Rains could travel to the studio for this, David O. Selznick (whose studio owned Bergman's contract) previewed the film and urged Warner to release it unaltered and as fast as possible. Warner now agreed and it premiered in New York on November 26. The film did not play in Los Angeles until its general release the following January, and hence competed against 1943 films for the Oscars.

And thus, in 1944, the film won Oscars for best picture, director and screenplay -- beating such 1943 films as The Song of Bernadette and Heaven Can Wait.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.